Loop ph levels

Associate
how do you guys adjust your ph levels?

I use mayhems biocide and add a few more drops to get it around 8ph* but what if it’s too acidic?

Normally I flush and replace coolent when it moves to acidic, but I would like to know because I like to know things.
Bicarbonate of soda can neutralize but is it a good idea to pour bicarb in my res?

*i think 8 might be 6?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
6 would be acidic, 8 would be alkaline. I've never set my loop to a ph. It gets a 1:4 mix of G48 antifreeze and DI water every 5 years like my cars but a weaker mix. (unless it gets disassembled before that point) Not had any issues in the 6 years I've been watercooling my PC and not had any issues with my car at 24 years old.

I've not tested it but I'm pretty sure that antifreeze is very slightly alkaline.

Man of Honour
It's not something I have ever tested for. I have been watercooling for around 15 years and have never had any problems with corrosion or growths. At first I used to use de-ionised water with a additive called water wetter or something like that before moving on to de-ionised water and Primochill's Liquid Utopia with which I had a loop untouched for 2.5 years with no problems. When I couldn't get hold of Liquid Utopia anymore Mayhems was on the scene and I started out with their XT-1 clear mixed with de-ionised water. For the past three years or so I have been using Mayhems X1 red pre-mix. In all that time the only problem I have had was plasticiser leeching from tubing and after trying several brands such as Primochill, XSPC and Masterkleer I switched to Mayhems excellent tubing and have had no more leeching.

Associate
OP
Only did check ph last coolent change. I was getting green sediment blocking all my blocks needing a change every 2-3 months, mayhems blitz and ph levels has it clear now. It was acidic before the blitz.

I believe mayhems suggested a ph level in a thread somewhere but after filling up with mayhems x1 it turned out too alkaline a few drops of biocide brought it to recommended levels.

I think the sediment came from new xspc rad as I didt have any issues before. I’m still new to watercooling

Back
Top Bottom