The Tesla Thread

What limits you charging at home?

You'll quickly find that you much prefer driving a M3 longer distances compared to an X1, if nothing else it's likely to be 10p/mile cheaper in fuel

Delivery is anything from a week to 4+ months. Likely to see a sharp uptake in orders around April as the BIK improvements kick in so I'd guess at late Feb order, you do not have to take the first car they offer either, you can say you cannot collect and they'll allocate it to someone else waiting and put you back in the queue.

Home the issue is we are not alongside a road, so we either park on the road, or at our garages, but those currently aren't powered.

If I was to drag a cable for charging it would cross a public path and as such seems highly risk, I could loop it over a tree, and for an emergency or something would be no hastle, but I wouldn't for example want to be doing that daily.

Part of the attraction would be having free leccy from work, plus just drive in daily, plug it in, no having to go to the petrol station.

We dont do that many long runs to be honest. Last month we drove to Inverness, back down Scotland, then home, full trip around 1300 miles over 5 days. The X1 used 2 tanks of diesel, in those circumstances it would have been a pain with the 3, not impossible granted, but only 2 of the 4 hotels we used had charge points there so its not quite so easy as filling the diesel (which was done 3 times in reality as other halves fuel card is with a brand that is a little lacking in Scotland, so filled up around the borders, topped up in Inverness and then again topped up when 85% of the way home)

I am sure we would/could have used a 3 more rather than hers for weekends etc, but if I have to charge at home its defeating the benefit to some extent.

I would really rather have used the TT but she wanted to take the X1 (bike plus a load of gear with us so TT would be tight). A couple of places I had to go whilst there I am glad we did use the X1, not sure if the TT may have got stuck in the mud due to low clearance.
Oddly even though the TT only gets about 60% of the MPG of the X1, as I only pay 42% of the real cost of the petrol (tax and NI on benefit in kind) and she has to pay the full costs of the diesel it would have been cheaper to take the TT, would have cost me about £85 in petrol (at pump about £200) where as it cost her about £120 in diesel.

The X1 is rather nice actually (the new one). Its very nice interior and very capable. We definatly went places that would have been iffy in the TT, but didnt even consider maybe not to in the X1, the higher driving position gave good visibility on the twisty back roads and I would say probably averaged not much slower than I would have in the TT as most of the time its other traffic holding you up, not the ground covering speed of the vehicle itself.

Soldato
Costs, Insurance £200 (old git low risk area)
Road Tax £150
Tyres £300
Servicing £250
Petrol £650 (tax and NI on approx 250 galls per year)
Depreciation £3500 (approx expected TT depreciation based on GFV)
Total £5050.
Split isnt perfect but roughly adds up to my annual expenditure

So based on this it would cost me approx £50 a month to switch from the TT to a 3

Remember servicing is almost nothing - unless car tells you it need servicing - there is none. Offset that against Luxury car tax from year 2 onwards.....Swings and roundabouts.

Associate
Anyone else seen Bjorn’s claim that Tesla has reduced usable battery and therefore range across all Model 3s with one of the recent OTA updates?

Interesting stuff.

Soldato
They have always been high DoD unlike the more “conservative” OEMs which explains some of the Range difference you see when comparing installed pack sizes.

model X 100kWh uses 95kWh where as the 93 and a bit in the taycan is only using 83kW - etron & EQC similar percentage.

Remember servicing is almost nothing - unless car tells you it need servicing - there is none. Offset that against Luxury car tax from year 2 onwards.....Swings and roundabouts.

Sorry if I was unclear, the costs were my current costs (roughly) as I am opted out so I incur those costs, which my car allowance more than covers.

If I went for a 3 I would go company route since with zero BIK next year, all the running costs would go to the company (insurance, tyres, servicing etc) so for me the only cost of ownership would be charging when i couldnt do it at work (very rare so ignored) but importantly the loss of my car allowance. As my car allowance is just under £10k it means for now its going to cost me to switch to a 3, so seemingly better to stay with the TT for now.

When it comes to time to change, which was planned for 2-3 years from now, it may have all changed again. If I can get something fun and electric I will probably do that, i was planning a final fun petrol TTRS or M2 were kinda shortlisted, but I may have missed the boat by then. TT looks like it wont go to gen 4, and I am starting to think main stream manufacturer performance cars may start to depreciate badly if, and its really if, electric moves on enough to get over the minor inconveniences.

Soldato
Couple of observations from today travels. Nothing startling but just personal stuff:
  • 3 client appointments today. Drove 125 miles today. Such an easy and comfortable car to drive around in.
  • Spent some time between appointments making calls etc - Audio/bluetooth etc is very good and clear when making and receiving calls
  • Netflix is great for me - was early to an appointment - drove up to 50kw DC charger at one of the local hotels, Charged from 35% battery to 90% battery in 40 minutes. Free again. Watched episode of Top Boy whilst eating my lunch and charging at the same time.
  • Cruise control seems much smoother after last few updates - no phantom breaking etc. AP seems much better now also. Way smoother.
  • General efficiency was around 83% or so over the 125 miles.
Still loving the car after nearly a month. Just hoping the AC charging issues get sorted next week when it goes in.

Soldato
I would be able to charge daily once I get a charger sorted but would probably just do it as needed 2-3 times a week.

@booyaka, @jamoor,
Did you guys get a model 3 through your limited company (as a company car).
If so who did you end up using for insurance? If leased did you sort gap insurance as well?
I own my own company so I got the company to lease it and give it to me.

My insurance will be with direct line most likely as I'm already a customer.

Haven't thought about gap insurance yet, if Elon musk is anything to go by gap insurance is a waste of cash

Associate
I own my own company so I got the company to lease it and give it to me.

My insurance will be with direct line most likely as I'm already a customer.

Haven't thought about gap insurance yet, if Elon musk is anything to go by gap insurance is a waste of cash
Thanks. This is what I will likely do. Then insurance with you named on policy and leasing company as owner?

Soldato
Anyone else seen Bjorn’s claim that Tesla has reduced usable battery and therefore range across all Model 3s with one of the recent OTA updates?

Interesting stuff.

Swings and roundabouts really as they increased performance earlier in the year but that was soon forgotten. I'll swap a couple of percent for less battery degradation if proven beyond doubt though they are just fuelling the Tesla FUDsters.

Now if I'd lost say 2 kwh or ~8.8 miles from my piffling 80 miles typical on my previous i3 I would certainly have less than happy!

Soldato
Anyone else use Teslafi on here?

4 week trial has been very useful in having the charging times/reports pending the charging issue I have currently got - It's help a lot.

Trial ends tomorrow - $50 a year to keep it going.....yes or no

Soldato
Anyone else use Teslafi on here?

4 week trial has been very useful in having the charging times/reports pending the charging issue I have currently got - It's help a lot.

Trial ends tomorrow - $50 a year to keep it going.....yes or no

I'm thinking about it over winter due to missing the "intelligence" of the i3 scheduling I had before. Previously I was setting 3 different charging schedules over a typical week based on departure time. Then depending on how much charge was required and the ambient conditions the onboard computer would adjust to finish both charging and cabin pre-heating/defrosting for the departure time. No user intervention. Come on Tesla the i3 had that since 2013!

The Model 3 may not have the auto-adjustment but being able to set a start/finish and pre-heat schedule depending on the day would be useful. I'm used to leaving the house to a fully defrosted car in winter due to the i3.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Model 3 may not have the auto-adjustment but being able to set a start/finish and pre-heat schedule depending on the day would be useful. I'm used to leaving the house to a fully defrosted car in winter due to the i3.
so, if you have the data, is there a noticeable increase in energy use with M3 vs i3 ... was it 160 vs 100 W/Km ?
... they/bm were ahead of their time with the efficient motor with permanent magnets.

Soldato
so, if you have the data, is there a noticeable increase in energy use with M3 vs i3 ... was it 160 vs 100 W/Km ?
... they/bm were ahead of their time with the efficient motor with permanent magnets.

Up to 60 mph the i3 would regularly return 5.2 mi/kwh in summer and at worst on the coldest winter days down to 3.5 mi/kwh.

That's the thing though I would try to drive at 60 mph on dual carriage roads preferable to maximise the i3s range as I had the 60AH battery ~80 miles typically. With the Tesla I'm now just driving at 70 mph most of the time on the same dual carriage ways and seeing a typical 240 wh/mi up till now. So 4.2 mi/kwh and not caring so much as I have a genuine 200+ miles.

I'll have to see how far that drops as temps approach 0 DegC during winter. So i3 excellent at lower speeds. Model 3 much less drop off above 60 mph.

One thing that made me change from an upgrade to a 160AH (42 kwh) battery i3 was the tyre wear. If you could get 10K miles out of a pair of rear tyres you were doing exceptionally well. What with the cost and limited choice of 2 brands that offset the efficiency gains for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just keeping things updated - Dropped Model 3 off to Edinburgh service centre this morning. All ready for me, quick check of the car and left it with them. Model S 85D loaner for the time being.

Hopefully they find the problem - I'm going to try charging the Model S shortly at home and assuming the Rolec works fine, that will make me even more certain that my Model 3 has a AC charging issue.

Associate
just finished listening to the earnings report, all looking good for Tesla longer term and profitability is here. giga 3 build in 10 months is nuts. In the short term, 5% perf and range coming to model 3 and 3% for S and X. faster supercharging for SR+ a nice bonus too. looks like they are stuill tuning the model 3 motor and improving the acceleration/regan curve

keep the car connected to wifi at home and watch the forums/reddit/twitter.

Dan

Soldato
just finished listening to the earnings report, all looking good for Tesla longer term and profitability is here. giga 3 build in 10 months is nuts. In the short term, 5% perf and range coming to model 3 and 3% for S and X. faster supercharging for SR+ a nice bonus too. looks like they are stuill tuning the model 3 motor and improving the acceleration/regan curve

keep the car connected to wifi at home and watch the forums/reddit/twitter.

Dan

Having watched a couple of the dyno vids on YT it was fairly obvious how they use software to shape the power delivery to help differentiate the models. SR+ low end was looking fairly flat compared to the other example too so maybe there's a bit more peak power/torque available in the smaller motor low down that they could play with.

Associate
Just keeping things updated - Dropped Model 3 off to Edinburgh service centre this morning. All ready for me, quick check of the car and left it with them. Model S 85D loaner for the time being.

Hopefully they find the problem - I'm going to try charging the Model S shortly at home and assuming the Rolec works fine, that will make me even more certain that my Model 3 has a AC charging issue.

How did you get on with this?

Back
Top Bottom