Google pay or Samsung pay?

Soldato
If this comment was posted a few years ago then sure. This doesn't apply in 2019 any more.

Can't remove the mail app, internet app, bixby (although you can't remove Siri so maybe a moot point), my files.
It's still bloated, not as much as before but still is and there still was as much bloat in 2018.

Even the forum threads discussing it this year acknowledge it still has bloat. You can just hide or disable it easier nowadays, but that doesn't make the bloat tag "not apply" to it in 2019 any more.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can't remove the mail app, internet app, bixby (although you can't remove Siri so maybe a moot point), my files.
It's still bloated, not as much as before but still is and there still was as much bloat in 2018.

Even the forum threads discussing it this year acknowledge it still has bloat. You can just hide or disable it easier nowadays, but that doesn't make the bloat tag "not apply" to it in 2019 any more.

Those apps mentioned are generally of a higher quality than Google's equivalent. The exception being Gmail is a nicer app than Mail and Assistant is better than Bixby. Lots of people use them as well. Bixby Routines are supremely useful too with baked in Tasker like functionality.

They also use up zero background resources that could affect battery life or memory. Yeah you can disable them if you want, but the way you worded it sounded like the kind of bloat that bogs a phone down like they used to in 2017-2018.

I posted a screenshot some months ago at the actual bloat that came on my S10e and it was.... Tiny.

By your reasoning all pixel phones come with bloat too then because not everyone uses Google's own apps and prefer third party alternatives for better features. You can't uninstall certain Google apps either but can disable. You could then extend this to every phone that isn't on AOSP.

So what do we learn here? Every phone comes with bloat. Lol

Edit*
Typos from posting from phone...

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not retailers but banks I think is what he means. NFC is NFC, if Apple Pay is taken then so is Google/Samsung. but banks need to accept adding their cards to each which they don't always.

Soldato
I can't see why somewhere would accept Samsung pay but not G pay?

Not retailers but banks I think is what he means. NFC is NFC, if Apple Pay is taken then so is Google/Samsung. but banks need to accept adding their cards to each which they don't always.

Sorry I meant in the sense that any terminal that accepts card payments will work with Samsung Pay (MST) which is not the case with Google Pay.

Soldato
No MST is only usable outside of Europe. All EU PDQs have the magnetic swipe disabled.

That's interesting, there's been a few instances where I've paid for a coffee using Samsung Pay and my friend at the same time couldn't get Google Pay to work, I always thought it was due to the card reader itself, must have been something with his setup then?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's interesting, there's been a few instances where I've paid for a coffee using Samsung Pay and my friend at the same time couldn't get Google Pay to work, I always thought it was due to the card reader itself, must have been something with his setup then?

Maybe his phone, MST is magnetic stripe payment, and you have to position the phone sideways on the swipe card bit for it to work, if you paid using normal NFC positioning then you used NFC, in Samsung Pay in Europe the app itself doesn't even have the MST con displaying as it's also turned off on the EU phone.

Caporegime
It's the whole reason why I prefer Google Pay over Samsung Pay. That extra touch for confirmation is too much.

It's not really an extra touch though as you still have to unlock your phone to use google pay, with samsung pay, the only extra step is that you have to slide upwards on the lockscreen to launch the app itself.

That's another thing I prefer with samsung pay, it is easier and quicker to change cards.

Man of Honour
I've had the very odd occasion when trying to use my phone to pay that the card machine won't pick it up until I disable and reenable nfc so it may have been that.

Associate
I have been using Samsung Pay (Co-op Bank) on my A70 since I got it and it has been flawless. So easy use, I like the extra security of fingerprint confirmation and so far loyalty cards have worked great too.

I love the fact that almost every store works beyond the usual £30 limit too, only Tesco enforces it for whatever reason. It just makes shopping much more convenient and I will be able to slim down to basic wallet for I.D and occasional cash.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If you use the Tesco Pay+ app, you can pay up to £250 or whatever it typically is the max limit per transaction on your card. The good thing is you can scan your clubcard and pay in one go with Pay+ so I just load the app up when shopping at Tesco instead.

Soldato
Those apps mentioned are generally of a higher quality than Google's equivalent. The exception being Gmail is a nicer app than Mail and Assistant is better than Bixby. Lots of people use them as well. Bixby Routines are supremely useful too with baked in Tasker like functionality.

They are use up zero background resources that could affect battery life or memory. Yeah you can disable them if you want, but the way you worded it sounded like the kind of bloat that bogs a phone down like they used to on 2017-2018.

I posted a screenshot some months ago at the actual bloat that came on my S10e and it was.... Tiny.

By your reasoning all pixel phones come with bloat too then because not everyone uses Google's own apps and prefer third party alternatives for better features. You can't uninstall certain Google apps either but can disable. You could then extend this to every phone that isn't on AOSP.

So what do we learn here? Every phone comes with bloat. Lol

Not wanting to take this thread too far OT, but 100% this.

Almost everything can be uninstalled or disabled. The rest is just an icon, and if it bothers you that much you can hide the icon in most launchers these days. Every other OEM other than Google has a similar amount of pre-installed apps that you just uninstall.

This whole OneUI is bloat and junk is overblown, other than a few menus you'd never know it wasn't AOSP.

Anyway, back on topic - Google pay is much better given that it's more widely accepted and isn't tied to which Android phone I happen to have.

Associate
If you use the Tesco Pay+ app, you can pay up to £250 or whatever it typically is the max limit per transaction on your card. The good thing is you can scan your clubcard and pay in one go with Pay+ so I just load the app up when shopping at Tesco instead.

Good to know, thanks. I only shop at the small local ones usually, so not spends but there is always the odd time you get that couple of pounds over.

Back
Top Bottom