Road Cycling

Soldato
Hi everyone. I need some help/advice.

My 'winter' hack is a BMC Grandfondo 02 from 2014/15 which has post mount type type disc calipers. I've used 785's with 160mm rotors to date.
Id like to know if:
1) is there any chance that I can move over to flat mount? links to pics below.
2) is a post mount just a post mount? finding spares/replacements of 785's is getting hard but it seems like there are MTB types still around. M820, M640, M9100 look like post mount types but for MTB. For whatever reason, i'm looking for the latest and greatest piston design.

Just came across a mention of Hope RX4 calipers elsewhere and realised they do a Flat mount and a Post mount, while also being compatible with Shimano hydraulic systems... Could be a solution?

4 Piston so should be good, but think/expect they take different pads to Shimano so unsure how they directly compare when it comes to power on the road. Worth researching/reading up on how they compare.

Of course you get colour options with Hope, so you could also switch to their coloured road rotors. Proper winter bike bling! :D

Soldato
I get the rules could be interpreted so it's only a Scottish rider, only a Scottish Climb or only maybe even only a rider from a Scottish club. But those rules need to be understood and agreed by all beforehand.

Yes, you're right. I had thought the rules were clear but I can't see anything obvious about it now. Seems like it's more of a messy situation than I thought.

Soldato
Guys. Headset bearings. I need to replace my lower one (so will do both) but last time I looked it was so marked I couldn't read the side of it for the numbers. That was back in the spring and I'd left it (just cleaned it out and regreased) but after the recent rain it's now feeling rougher again so really overdue changing. The Specialized site is next to useless when it comes for parts/identifying etc and I'd rather not buy from my LBS (as they'll have the Specialized 'branded' ones at Specialized prices) but how can I identify it from the actual bearings sizes if I get mine out and measure it? I'm fairly sure it'll be a tapered one but how can you get the exact right one...

@Saytan @Jonny ///M any tips on identifying?

Seems like it's more of a messy situation than I thought.
@xdcx for President! That would sort them all out! :D

Soldato
https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

it'll get you the IS codes for your headset parts at least, and if that fails, get your vernier calipers out
Excellent, thanks!

Upper Headset Fit
  • IS 41/28.6
Lower Headset Fit
  • IS 47/33
Helps... So looking on Park (recalled they had a list of the different types and what was interchangeable when reading up on S.H.I.S.) my top is 1/8" / 1/8" threaded and my lower is 1/4" / 1/4" threaded

So I've got a 1/8" to 1/4" threaded headset. Fairly standard as hoped! Everything these days is a 45° contact face/edge so shouldn't need to worry about that (as I had before). Still not 100% sure what the threaded bit is about... ;)

Soldato
Excellent, thanks!

Upper Headset Fit
  • IS 41/28.6
Lower Headset Fit
  • IS 47/33
Helps... So looking on Park (recalled they had a list of the different types and what was interchangeable when reading up on S.H.I.S.) my top is 1/8" / 1/8" threaded and my lower is 1/4" / 1/4" threaded

So I've got a 1/8" to 1/4" threaded headset. Fairly standard as hoped! Everything these days is a 45° contact face/edge so shouldn't need to worry about that (as I had before). Still not 100% sure what the threaded bit is about... ;)

the threaded part refers to the good old days when stuff had threads. You dont have a threaded setup - you have an IS41/28.6 top and IS47/33 bottom

Soldato
Just came across a mention of Hope RX4 calipers elsewhere and realised they do a Flat mount and a Post mount, while also being compatible with Shimano hydraulic systems... Could be a solution?

4 Piston so should be good, but think/expect they take different pads to Shimano so unsure how they directly compare when it comes to power on the road. Worth researching/reading up on how they compare.

Of course you get colour options with Hope, so you could also switch to their coloured road rotors. Proper winter bike bling! :D

Amazing!
sadly the disc's are 6 bolt only and im on CL but cheers for letting me know.

Soldato
Yeah but not many places list the IS for any/all of their bearings... ;)

Although nice list of the Hope ones here, my lower isn't listed. I'm also not paying £35 just for the top bearing! :o

Amazing!
sadly the disc's are 6 bolt only and im on CL but cheers for letting me know.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-6-bolt-to-centrelock-rotor-hub-adapter-rtad05 *cough*

More cost I know, there are probably cheaper alternatives around than Shimano too. Although weirdly I don't see any listed on Hope's website.

Soldato

Although nice list of the Hope ones here, my lower isn't listed. I'm also not paying £35 just for the top bearing! :o

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-6-bolt-to-centrelock-rotor-hub-adapter-rtad05 *cough*

More cost I know, there are probably cheaper alternatives around than Shimano too. Although weirdly I don't see any listed on Hope's website.

You can get these off ebay for about 2.50 for a pair if you can wait.

Soldato

Decent headset bearings should last many many years regardless of conditions. You can also get away with a lot less smoothness in a headset than in a hub or BB.

Soldato
I really wouldn't put the Specialized supplied bearings in the 'decent' category. Any brands or sites to grab them from you'd suggest? My usual place for BB/wheel bearings (currently NTN from Hambini) doesn't seem to do headsets (nor do NTN or SKF the usual brands I would prefer). Regarding smoothness, I know and I've continued with it feeling rough for 12+ months already lol

I don't think it'll actually seize (being a headset) but the rusty gunk leaking out over the lacquer on my fork anytime I stop after riding in heavy rain is beginning to make me sad. Think my main 'problem' is riding all weathers and while at work my bike isn't under cover so it sits in the rain on the wet days and doesn't get a chance to dry out until it gets home.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah, leaving it out in the rain all day will not help.

Headset bearings are in headset sizes so tend to only come from headset manufacturers i'm afraid. I'd whack a load of marine grease in the cups - it's got good water resistance as the name implies

Soldato
Parts Check please gents.

Upgrading my Inflite to GRX Di2 1x11, pretty sure I just need the following?

RX815 Shifters
RX810 Calipers
RX815 or RX817 Rear Derailleur
BTDN110 Battery
EW90A or B Junction Box
3 x Di2 Cables (Shifter to Junction Box, Battery to Junction Box, Rear Derailleur to Junction Box)

Associate

Upgrading my Inflite to GRX Di2 1x11, pretty sure I just need the following?

RX815 Shifters
RX810 Calipers
RX815 or RX817 Rear Derailleur
BTDN110 Battery
EW90A or B Junction Box
3 x Di2 Cables (Shifter to Junction Box, Battery to Junction Box, Rear Derailleur to Junction Box)
i dont think the hydraulic hoses are included in the shiftrs/calipers any more.

Soldato
yeah, leaving it out in the rain all day will not help.

Headset bearings are in headset sizes so tend to only come from headset manufacturers i'm afraid. I'd whack a load of marine grease in the cups - it's got good water resistance as the name implies
Unfortunately don't have any choice where I leave it, only 1 bike rack. Thankfully its right next to a building so is semi-shielded but not from constant rain.

Any manufacturers you'd recommend? Lots of Crane creek around and FSA mentioned which I expect are pretty poor (as they're cheap). Enduro where always considered a good middle range for BB's and they do seem to do some headsets too.

Last spring when I stripped it I did as full a clean of the bearing internals as I could and put in the Finish Line Premium grease I generally use. The 'Morgan Blue Aquaproof paste' which is the real waterproof stuff I use I think is a little too thick for bearing internals. I do tend to use it more for assembly than lubrication. Fairly sure I would've put that in the cups.

You missed a few things:
  • 10 spare derailleur hangers
  • 3 spare rear derailleurs
:p;)

Soldato
The adjustable Bontragers are good and I think they fit 28's, my friend rides them on his Domane but think he only had 25's at the weekend. I know he's got 28's and don't recall him saying any issue with the guards and them.

I know the PDW's where a good option when it came to full fitted guards and I nearly went that route before the Specialized PNP's - although a well executed metal guard, they are really not 'Plug n Play' - for me additional drilling of mounting holes to get better coverage & cutting of tough metal stays to clear downtube is not 'plug and play'! But they're very stiff and firm, so very little noise/movement from them. I'd imagine the Fend off (& PDW) are similarly sturdy. I'm a convert to 'full' guards now, but I'll admit they can be heavy while also a right fiddle to remove & refit. I only took mine off twice this summer, admittedly one of those times they stayed off for 4-5 weeks. You do pay for metal guards and the quality they offer. I previously fitted the much cheaper SKS Chromopasts (or where they Bluemels), great almost-as-good coverage, just as much fiddling (if not more due to my frame), but too much flex so quite noisy. Still fantastic for the money and amazing support. I'd happily go SKS if I could for metal guards too.

Helpful as ever Roady - ta! The guards will go on and stay on as it's a commute / hack, so time spent getting a good fit with minimal rattles is well spent.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm converted to mantel. Ordered a couple of bits on Saturday and Monday and they turned up today. Think unless I'm in a major rush I will be going to them in future.

Soldato
I'm looking for a cheap 2nd set of wheels for my triban rc520. Even though my bike takes 6-bolt, if I buy a set of centre lock wheels with the hubs & rotors will it still fit?!

Is there anything else I need to look out for other than 11-speed compatability?

Back
Top Bottom