• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another 2070super vs 5700XT thread...

Associate
I’m glad I went with an 850 gold for mine then. Apart from the extra cost there’s nothing wrong with a bit of over-provisioning to save any niggles about your PSU being an issue.

Associate
I’d rather spend a bit more on a decent PSU to start with as it’s the core of the system and upgrade or replace weaker parts later.

I think that when you build you need to start from the ground up and if budgeting get your PSU and motherboard lined up first. The you can build the rest from that basis.

Associate
I was close to going with the 2070 super after being an amd owner for well over 10 years. But after seeing the reviews and performance the 5700 XT offered more for the price.

Associate
OP
This is very true AMD has been on par with Drivers. Even when new arch was released in the past. However, with the release of Navi there have been some issues.
-Wattman ignoring min clock rates
-OSD causing black screen in certain games
-Lower then expected performance/drop in cpu usage/lower framerates
-Comptibility issues with MSI Afterburner even after MSI Afterburner updated to show comptability
-Odd downclocking from wattman even though thermals and power delivery is correct.

Any way, not to get off topic but for Navi having an over provisioned PSU is more of thing for Navi then any other gpu at the moment.

This is where I see AMD dropping the ball here. They need to communicate to their customer base non driver related issues. Or else people will continue to think that non driver related issues are driver related.

cheers for the detailed post EastCoastHandle

I was looking at the Corsair RM750 psu, on offer atm... seems like a solid unit at a good price

Also note that OcUK 5700XT prices have done another shuffle pushing the Nitro+ back up to £450.. and the MSI Gaming X down to £440

Soldato
cheers for the detailed post EastCoastHandle

I was looking at the Corsair RM750 psu, on offer atm... seems like a solid unit at a good price

Also note that OcUK 5700XT prices have done another shuffle pushing the Nitro+ back up to £450.. and the MSI Gaming X down to £440
No problem.
I'm not sure what video card you have now but if you have Nvidia and you are going to Navi I would recommend that you do a delete C drive and install 1903.
Backup as needed. As far as the psu is concern you can look at this thread:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-radeon-rx-5700-xt-owners-thread.18859271/page-70

From my understand the person with the replaced PSU has now sorted his issues with Navi.

Associate
OP
No problem.
I'm not sure what video card you have now but if you have Nvidia and you are going to Navi I would recommend that you do a delete C drive and install 1903.
Backup as needed. As far as the psu is concern you can look at this thread:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-radeon-rx-5700-xt-owners-thread.18859271/page-70

From my understand the person with the replaced PSU has now sorted his issues with Navi.

I have a 1070 gpu atm, with a corsair cx500m psu and 1800X CPU

I have always run seperate cables when 2 connections are required for a gfx card, used to older cards like the 3770 and the 7970 that used to need lots more power than most mid range cards now

tbh 650watts should be plenty of power for any single gfx card setup on paper... but sometimes stats dont always tell the truth haha

Associate
Honestly don't think you'll notice a massive difference between 1070 & 5700xt @ 1440/60. I went from v56 to the xt and it's a nice bump but for 60hz I could have waited. Having said that I plan to get a 1440/144hz so yeah:p

My advice forget the aib's and get the £350 ref card then UV & underclock a bit if you want a new card. 2070s becomes pointless v this price. Or wait 6-8 months.

Associate
OP
I am currently maxing out the 1070 in all the games I play, Assassin's Creed odyssey, battlefront 2 and Division 2 bring the main ones. And I do get 50 to 60fps. But not on the highest gfx settings, which is what I am looking for in this upgrade..

And there is always going to be new stuff 'next year' and I hope there will be new more demanding games as well hah

Associate
Did not know that until today, but people just say AMD have rubbish drivers all the time, even before Navi and before Vega etc... That has not been true for a very long time.

Nvidia had troubles for a while a couple of years back as I recall, no one went about saying that Nvidia have rubbish drivers. Lol

yeah, if anything AMD drivers prior to Navi have been Rock solid for a long time.

Soldato
Navi just has a serious case of new architecture teething issues.

But it will get better and general performance of Navi parts should improve across the board compared to launch drivers. Pascal and Turing parts are pretty much fully pegged in that regard. You will likely just see game specific optimisations for new titles.

Give it a little while and the 5700Xt will likely end up trading blows with the 2070S instead of being 6-10% behind.

Soldato
Navi just has a serious case of new architecture teething issues.

But it will get better and general performance of Navi parts should improve across the board compared to launch drivers. Pascal and Turing parts are pretty much fully pegged in that regard. You will likely just see game specific optimisations for new titles.

Give it a little while and the 5700Xt will likely end up trading blows with the 2070S instead of being 6-10% behind.
with 19.10.1 things did get a little better.
Right now I was thinking we would get 19.10.2 but I think they may have held off a bit. We'll see

I have a 1070 gpu atm, with a corsair cx500m psu and 1800X CPU

I have always run seperate cables when 2 connections are required for a gfx card, used to older cards like the 3770 and the 7970 that used to need lots more power than most mid range cards now

tbh 650watts should be plenty of power for any single gfx card setup on paper... but sometimes stats dont always tell the truth haha
You have to remember that you are not powering just the video card but:
CPU
hard drive(s)
Fans
Motherboard
sound card (if you use one)
and anything else I might have forgotten.

Soldato
with 19.10.1 things did get a little better.
Right now I was thinking we would get 19.10.2 but I think they may have held off a bit. We'll see

Biggest 2 issues are what appears to be over aggressive clock gating in games that are not that demanding, causing stuttering. (A Hat In Time does this to me)
And the black screen issue with hardware acceleration in some applications.

Soldato
Did not know that until today, but people just say AMD have rubbish drivers all the time, even before Navi and before Vega etc... That has not been true for a very long time.

Nvidia had troubles for a while a couple of years back as I recall, no one went about saying that Nvidia have rubbish drivers. Lol

I've had more trouble with Nvidia drivers than with AMD's honestly but mindshare is mindshare Nvidia are far too good at playing this game.

Soldato
Biggest 2 issues are what appears to be over aggressive clock gating in games that are not that demanding, causing stuttering. (A Hat In Time does this to me)
And the black screen issue with hardware acceleration in some applications.

The aggressive downclocking does need to be fixed. AMD has to fix the other issues as well.

Here is something I found. Navi is actually selling well.
https://translate.google.com/transl...rbase.de/2019-10/navi-gpu-amd-radeon-rx-5700/

Back
Top Bottom