BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Talk about being massively wrong. :p
I'm very happen to be proven massively wrong in 7-8 years time. It's all here for everyone to see

Come April there is no case for the 3 series in the UK market, which happens to be their best selling model over here. ask a company car driver if they want 330e for 100+£ a month in BIK or a TM3 and pay £0 and super cheap fuel. I know which people would pick.

Oh and BMW also have a distribution model problem. They have a dealership network that they need to figure out what to do with if more direct to retail car makers show.up.

Last edited:
Soldato
. I know which people would pick.
The one from the manufacturer with half a chance of actually building and supplying that sort of volume this side of 2025? :p

€200b in assets and €7b in net income in 2018. They'd have to spectacularly balls up their business to be dead in 10 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could say the same thing about the G20, no serious forward thinking automaker would launch that.

You have to be trolling at this point, the G20 is stunning inside and out. I saw one in blue few weeks back and was genuinely surprised that a 3 series could look that good.

Soldato
The one from the manufacturer with half a chance of actually building and supplying that sort of volume this side of 2025? :p

€200b in assets and €7b in net income in 2018. They'd have to spectacularly balls up their business to be dead in 10 years.
Remember Nokia and blackberry?

As I said I'm happy to be proven wrong.

VW and Mercedes are somewhat ok as they don't just sell cars and VW have their budget brands for which there isn't a clear way forward for electrification. But for premium cars which is the only thing BMW does? There's tons of competition coming, Volvo will be one to watch in the future alongside other Chinese companies. The Chinese already produce superior tech, think DJI and Huawei. No reason cars won't be the same.

Man of Honour
The point that people who love Tesla etc miss is that a car isn't tech, it contains tech. It's all very well having amazing tech but if the car itself is a pile of cheap junk with a steering wheel lifted from a pedal car then how sustainable is it really?

If it was purely about the tech Japan would have killed the rest of the industry 30 years ago.

It will be easier for a car firm to integrate tech than a tech firm to suddenly build a quality car.

Soldato
BMW are way behind though, it's very frustrating considering the i3/i8 came out like 6 years ago and they've done nothing since then.
I have seen a LOT more Model 3s than I have G20s and I expect that to only go one way!

Soldato
Way behind who? The i8 is a PHEV and there are many of those in the range now. Where is the full ev Mercedes? Ford? Etc?

That's what I mean really, they could be up their with Porsche and actually trying to be an EV provider. But they chose not to, just annoying IMO.
It will be easier for a car firm to integrate tech than a tech firm to suddenly build a quality car.
Strongly disagree with that. Tesla's biggest advantage is they know that cars are a (or will be in the near future) software problem, and they engineer accordingly. I think they're something like 60% software engineers, whereas other manufacturers are still outsourcing to sweatshops in Ukraine and the like.

Caporegime
Strange as OEM who only sells electric cars has more EVs than OEM who sells EV and ICE.

I think it’s the customers choosing what cars to buy rather than the OEM forcing them and it’s apparent that most will want a proper car with a ICE engine versus a more expensive proper car with EV.

the Tesla is now a cheap entry point with obvious tax benefits and no doubting it tech and EV capability. But it’s still a compromise in terms of materials and fit and finish.

Soldato
Strongly disagree with that. Tesla's biggest advantage is they know that cars are a (or will be in the near future) software problem, and they engineer accordingly. I think they're something like 60% software engineers, whereas other manufacturers are still outsourcing to sweatshops in Ukraine and the like.
Not sure what % of the s/w engineers are working on self-drive/level3('is it), but, Google/Waymo are in a good/best position to democtratize this for EV's (Android auto ++++) too.

Soldato
Techn
The point that people who love Tesla etc miss is that a car isn't tech, it contains tech. It's all very well having amazing tech but if the car itself is a pile of cheap junk with a steering wheel lifted from a pedal car then how sustainable is it really?

If it was purely about the tech Japan would have killed the rest of the industry 30 years ago.

Tech is the new luxury.

People would rather have somehting that is technologically advanced that something thats luxurious. Look at vertu.

Back
Top Bottom