What have you done to your car today?

Permabanned
Temporarily fixed my intercooler pipe that decided to pop off as I was accelerating onto a dual carriage slip road. Time for some new seals I think.

Also found that my exhaust has snapped somewhere near the middle joiner. Starting to show her age now :).

Soldato
More like what i've done with my car this week so far.

Not sure how accurate the MPG calculator i'm using is, and how accurate my method is either but its close.

I have achieved roughly 42mpg from my 09 Honda Accord K24 that weighs over 1.5tons with its N/A K24 2.4i engine which I think is mighty impressive for this car considering it's claimed mpg is in the very low 30s.

£20 worth of petrol, 15.88 litres of petrol (according to the pump) and covered 150miles, Filled up when my petrol light came on at the start of the week and filled up today just after my petrol light came on again, so obviously not as accurate as it can be but its a good estimate at best.

Yes i'm very boring D:

Caporegime
More like what i've done with my car this week so far.

Not sure how accurate the MPG calculator i'm using is, and how accurate my method is either but its close.

I have achieved roughly 42mpg from my 09 Honda Accord K24 that weighs over 1.5tons with its N/A K24 2.4i engine which I think is mighty impressive for this car considering it's claimed mpg is in the very low 30s.

£20 worth of petrol, 15.88 litres of petrol (according to the pump) and covered 150miles, Filled up when my petrol light came on at the start of the week and filled up today just after my petrol light came on again, so obviously not as accurate as it can be but its a good estimate at best.

Yes i'm very boring D:

If you want it to be more accurate brim the tank and stop when the pump clicks, then drive for however long, then fill up at the same pump and stop when the pump clicks. Take the litres you put in, divide by 4.54, then divide your trip mileage by that figure.

Put a deposit down for my first V8...a jap import E39 540i :D

Should hopefully pick it up Saturday.

Awesome, whats the reason for the import? Cost? Spec? Condition? A mixture of those? :)

In before Fox goes off on some rant about how stupid it is to import such a common and not particularly special car that isn't even from the country you are importing it from blah blah blah. :p

Man of Honour
He posted it before, someone else imported it.

I'm clearly not the E39 fanboy I thought I was because spending 8 grand on a regular E39 just seems absolutely bonkers to me. That's what I spent when mine was 4 years old!!!

Soldato
If you want it to be more accurate brim the tank and stop when the pump clicks, then drive for however long, then fill up at the same pump and stop when the pump clicks. Take the litres you put in, divide by 4.54, then divide your trip mileage by that figure.

Now the problem with that is, You're adding a lot of weight, What I actually do is fill up £10 at a time, fill up again (usually in 2 days time) rinse and repeat, less added weight, moar MPGz.

i've taken a lot of steps to reduce my weekly fuel cost of £50 down to £30 over a near 50mile commute, i haven't hit vtec yo in over 2 months (this actually makes me sad) £10 fill ups each time, car doesn't see over 3k rpm, annoy a lot of people on the M4/Dually's by sticking to 55MPH.

Man of Honour
Now the problem with that is, You're adding a lot of weight, What I actually do is fill up £10 at a time, fill up again (usually in 2 days time) rinse and repeat, less added weight, moar MPGz.

i've taken a lot of steps to reduce my weekly fuel cost of £50 down to £30 over a near 50mile commute, i haven't hit vtec yo in over 2 months (this actually makes me sad) £10 fill ups each time, car doesn't see over 3k rpm, annoy a lot of people on the M4/Dually's by sticking to 55MPH.

This is a joke, right?

Soldato
Have you not consindered the wasted time spent at garages to save pennies? Filling up every 2 days would drive me mad.

You're a nutter.

Now you see, I've purposely picked a garage that's on the same road as my commute so i'm not forced to go out my way, I waste maybe 5 mins max.

I don't see what the problem is, i'm saving £80 a month by doing what i'm doing, trust me If I was in a position to buy a more economical car and avoid having to drive like a complete granny I would! But i'm still paying the loan off for my current car.....I have been eying up the newer generation smart fortwo with the DCT box, but i'm fat so I think i'd be wearing the car more than anything.

Soldato

Awesome, whats the reason for the import? Cost? Spec? Condition? A mixture of those? :)

In before Fox goes off on some rant about how stupid it is to import such a common and not particularly special car that isn't even from the country you are importing it from blah blah blah. :p

Yeah, someone local imported it last year. I read through its journey, went to see it, liked it and it's within my budget.
Yup, was told the same when I posted in another thread :) Apparently, the best time to buy one was back in 2006 when I just started high school with no money to my name :D

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can't believe people out there think filing up in such a manner saves on MPG due to the extra weight of fuel.
I was half way through writing up the numbers but then realised why bother when someone out there has already done it and with a higher understanding of the maths involved to calculate?

http://theconversation.com/can-you-save-money-at-the-bowser-by-only-half-filling-the-fuel-tank-36260

Assuming a fuel efficiency of 8L/100km, density of petrol at 720g/L, a loss of 2% of efficiency per 43.5kg, and a 60L tank, we find that we cover roughly 3.5km more in the half-twice scenario: not a lot by anyone’s standards.

This is all well and good, but there is one obvious drawback to the half-twice scenario: we have to make an extra visit the fuel station and this costs us time.

So in essence it's a pointless exercise that wastes time, you're starting your car up again an extra time too so a bit more component wear all for the sake of driving single digit miles more. Unless you have a vehicle with a behemoth sized fuel tank or are penny pinching, you're wasting your time.

Caporegime
Now you see, I've purposely picked a garage that's on the same road as my commute so i'm not forced to go out my way, I waste maybe 5 mins max.

I don't see what the problem is, i'm saving £80 a month by doing what i'm doing, trust me If I was in a position to buy a more economical car and avoid having to drive like a complete granny I would! But i'm still paying the loan off for my current car.....I have been eying up the newer generation smart fortwo with the DCT box, but i'm fat so I think i'd be wearing the car more than anything.
Your driving style is saving the money. Not the 30kg weight saving of fuel when versus when the tank is full

Back
Top Bottom