**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Someone has some trust issues here. Or a paranoid partner.
Yes there are definitely many people in this world that do. Have you ever hung out with a young couple in their late teens? My brother in law is currently going through that right now. Super paranoid girl. Tracks his phone through location sharing, wants to check his messages etc. If he's asleep and the unlock works I can see this being a perfect temptation for people like her to use it.

I would have thoughts eyes open were an obvious requirement for face unlock, but get that this would limit when using Sun glasses etc.

It's not my issue any way with face unlock. I'm just putting a reason to the twitter post point.

I'm more upset with no rear finger print reader as I always unlock my phone before it's even left my pocket

Soldato
Someone has some trust issues here. Or a paranoid partner.

Yup. The next thing right after I set up my face recognition will be to set it up for my gf.

The only time I can see this as a problem is if you fall asleep in a public space (airport, train etc) with the phone on the table. In which case it's your own stupidity for not keeping your phone safe.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Maybe Google will patch it so it only works when your eyes are open? I wouldn't imagine that would be too hard to do?

Apparently, according to Reddit, it does have a switch in the settings, but its off by default as this means it unlocks faster. iPhones have the same toggle, but is on by default. This is how Goggle can claim to have the worlds fastest face unlock. :D

https://i.imgur.com/uYNRTGc.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/co...l_4_facial_recognition_works_even_if/f3y6t0k/

Soldato
Yup. The next thing right after I set up my face recognition will be to set it up for my gf.

The only time I can see this as a problem is if you fall asleep in a public space (airport, train etc) with the phone on the table. In which case it's your own stupidity for not keeping your phone safe.

Well if that happens it's 100% your fault.

Well if that happens it's 100% your fault.
i half agree with this. ok it's your fault, but until now, phones have always been safe that you'd never have to worry about them getting into the wrong persons hand as they could do nothing with it without you clearly unlocking it. you could lose the phone and be safe in the knowledge that it's locked down.

face unlock with eyes closed is a tiny bit less secure than any other method we'd had before. if you do fall asleep on a train, someone "could" unlock your phone by pointing it at you, then logging to banking by doing the same, and even worse to Andy's horror, have access to your microsoft authenticator keys.

Soldato
I disagree with most of this, I moved from the iPhone 7 (having had the previous ones over the years) to the Pixel 2 XL, and then the 3XL and now ordered the 4XL - for me, the software is just the same as iOS, I genuinely do not get what everyone wants with this phone? Good quality camera, good apps, looks good, can watch videos in good quality, I could go on...

I literally haven't cared about a headphone jack for about 5 years, wireless headphones are the future, people just need to move on.

I will agree with you on the value though, these phones do not hold anywhere near enough value compared to Apple, but then that is the same with the Samsungs as well, not exclusive to Google Pixels, also, Apple is a 'fashion' brand with their handsets, people buy into that.

Must cost you a bomb to upgrade every year?

Soldato
i half agree with this. ok it's your fault, but until now, phones have always been safe that you'd never have to worry about them getting into the wrong persons hand as they could do nothing with it without you clearly unlocking it. you could lose the phone and be safe in the knowledge that it's locked down.

face unlock with eyes closed is a tiny bit less secure than any other method we'd had before. if you do fall asleep on a train, someone "could" unlock your phone by pointing it at you, then logging to banking by doing the same, and even worse to Andy's horror, have access to your microsoft authenticator keys.

Face unlock doesn't change that. But yes potentially someone could use your phone while you're asleep but even with finger print scanner that might be possible.

Soldato
Yeah, not fantastic video.

The FF camera at the end looked pretty good, especially with the bright sky behind him. Also, the mic seemed really good when he spoke to camera at the end too. I wonder how much he tinkered with it in post?

Interesting he says the review embargo lifts on Monday, so I guess we'll get flooded with reviews next week :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah I noticed that too, he's the first one I've seen give a date. I'll hold off my order until then.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I had also considered that, but I'm still not 100% sold on it. I also want to see it in a shop before I press the button. I take it CPW etc have them on display now? Anyone confirm?

Back
Top Bottom