• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help me to choose a right CPU

Associate
I have an old system. Essential components are

i5 4670K
P8Z77 Deluxe
Corsair H60 AIO cooler
Corsair HX 850
Corsair Vengeance 1333 2 x 4GB
660 Ti

I play Battlefield V, For Honour, Final Fantasy XV and Company of Heroes II. Very slow all of these titles and never manage to get 60+ FPS.

I want to have a completely new system. Now which CPU should I be getting? Hopefully, the new system will be able to handle Cyberpunk 2077 at at least Very High settings along with all the above mentioned titles.

Have used AMD CPUs before and not very great experience so AMD needs not apply.

Thanks!

Associate
Best bet would be Ryzen 3000 series, but like people who talk about rust problems on modern Alfa or unreliable modern French cars, AMD is already discarded.
Going Intel, get the best motherboard and CPU, as in 6 months will be another socket and the CPU will receive few security patches, so a fast one would still good.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I don't mind spending a bit more to get a better CPU. But 9900K is far too expensive for my budget.

the thing is currently 9700k and 9900k are the 2 main gaming CPU’s as many consider a i5 with no hyper threading to be a bad idea.

frame rates in games is mainly down to your 660ti putting in a 2060 or 2070 with your cpu will bring your gaming right up to par and then look at intel 10 series cpu in q 1 next year.

your cpu whilst ageing is still a capable cpu and with your mind set on intel it’s better to wait for 10 series and there new motherboard socket then throwing money on a dead platform.

many personal advice though is give amd 3700x cpu a look whilst u might have had bad experiences before amd really have gotten a lot better. Bit I fully understand that u want intel and my advice is basicly upgrade gpu now and get 10 series intel cpu when it comes out

Soldato
I play Battlefield V, For Honour, Final Fantasy XV and Company of Heroes II. Very slow all of these titles and never manage to get 60+ FPS.

Really all you need is a better GPU. A Geforce GTX 660 Ti just doesn't cut it any more. You will, however, benefit from a new CPU.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Really all you need is a better GPU. A Geforce GTX 660 Ti just doesn't cut it any more. You will, however, benefit from a new CPU.
Agreed. From his spec I would say he needs a GPU more than he needs a CPU. The CPU you can just OC a bit.

As for AMD CPU's not being good, he needs to read up. There was a time when AMD CPU's were much better than Intels, if someone stuck by that experience and said Intel CPU's not apply it would be laughable. Times change. AMD right now is a great choice to make.

Associate
the thing is currently 9700k and 9900k are the 2 main gaming CPU’s as many consider a i5 with no hyper threading to be a bad idea.

frame rates in games is mainly down to your 660ti putting in a 2060 or 2070 with your cpu will bring your gaming right up to par and then look at intel 10 series cpu in q 1 next year.

your cpu whilst ageing is still a capable cpu and with your mind set on intel it’s better to wait for 10 series and there new motherboard socket then throwing money on a dead platform.

many personal advice though is give amd 3700x cpu a look whilst u might have had bad experiences before amd really have gotten a lot better. Bit I fully understand that u want intel and my advice is basicly upgrade gpu now and get 10 series intel cpu when it comes out

Hyper threading has no bearing on gaming performance, benchmarks show this.

Associate
I have an old system. Essential components are

i5 4670K
P8Z77 Deluxe
Corsair H60 AIO cooler
Corsair HX 850
Corsair Vengeance 1333 2 x 4GB
660 Ti

I want to have a completely new system. Now which CPU should I be getting? Hopefully, the new system will be able to handle Cyberpunk 2077 at at least Very High settings along with all the above mentioned titles.

Thanks!

Cheapest path, since you won't specify the budget amount are - an i7 that will work with your Z77 and prolly a 2060. The i5 will struggle even with a 2060 in BFV. You gonna run out of cores. Similarly, if you get a newer 6 core without HT, you'd end up in the same place you are at in a lesser time.

Associate
I had an Asus GTX 670 which I upgraded 3 years ago to a GTX 1070 and that gave me a big increase in fps, so maybe you should upgrade to a new graphic card first and see how it runs before jumping into a new PC build?
Games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light 2 releases in Spring 2020, so you could also wait for some Black Friday or Christmas discounts, maybe a 9700K (8C) since you prefer Intel.

Many are buying AMD CPU's these days, with the new 3600 (6C/12T) and 3700X (8C/16T) being very popular.

Soldato
Hyper threading has no bearing on gaming performance, benchmarks show this.

Intel's HT is also a whopping great security hole at present, to the extent it's disabled on my 8700k (desktop) and 3770 (router). AMD's SMT implementation doesn't suffer the same way, and if I was building today I'd go Ryzen 3 all day long. In fact I'm just waiting for 3950x to appear and I'll be switching back to team red.

OP, as stated you need to provide a budget for your build, as nobody can advise you until then. Sticking by what did or didn't work for you 5, 10 or 20 years ago is no way to buy something today. Times have changed, and AMD now have the upper hand in most metrics.

Associate
Intel's HT is also a whopping great security hole at present, to the extent it's disabled on my 8700k (desktop) and 3770 (router). AMD's SMT implementation doesn't suffer the same way, and if I was building today I'd go Ryzen 3 all day long. In fact I'm just waiting for 3950x to appear and I'll be switching back to team red.

OP, as stated you need to provide a budget for your build, as nobody can advise you until then. Sticking by what did or didn't work for you 5, 10 or 20 years ago is no way to buy something today. Times have changed, and AMD now have the upper hand in most metrics.

What security hole are you talking about?

Associate
A single 660ti in this day is not going to cut it, as the others have said - upgrade to the fastest GPU your budget allows and then look to switch out in the new year when all of the options are on the table.

I'm still rocking my 2600k - I went from a 480 - 670 - 670SLI - 970 - 1080TI :p.

(I am definitely switching it out this year though!!)

Permabanned
A single 660ti in this day is not going to cut it, as the others have said - upgrade to the fastest GPU your budget allows and then do the rest later.

I'm still rocking my 2600k - I went from a 480 - 670 - 670SLI - 970 - 1080TI :p.

(I am definitely switching it out this year though!!)

His current CPU won't allow the new GPU to show more than half of its potential performance.

What security hole are you talking about?

Must be some openness to potential hackers' interventions. The thing is that every single CPU on the market is vulnerable to hackers.

Associate
His current CPU won't allow the new GPU to show more than half of its potential performance.

Must be some openness to potential hackers' interventions. The thing is that every single CPU on the market is vulnerable to hackers.

So not just Intel? AMD aswell?

Soldato

The problem is that by refusing AMD CPU's, which are, by far, the best value for money, you are ignoring most of the CPU's that fill your criteria.

The AMD 3600 and 3600x are the best CPU's for the average user, in my opinion, that are out today, and you would be a fool(no offense intended) to ignore them. I suggest that you read up a bit more and re-evaluate if you can't deal with an AMD system, yes they can take a bit more work to get sorted for the average user on this forum but it's well worth the effort.

Man of Honour

So then you will be able to point at a known vulnerability in AMD's current SMT implementation or known vulnerabilities in EPYC.... Yea I thought not.

@Bounce - Look up Spectre, Meltdown, Zombie Load, Port Smash, NetCat to name just a few. The current Intel CPU arch is developing holes faster than Swiss cheese and is in desperate need of a re-hash but that wont be until at least 2021/2022. These may or may not be of a concern to your average user but at the same time it's best not to be ignorant of current issues and trends.

Back
Top Bottom