• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Ryzen Master. But how can it be dodgy if benchmarks reflect the performance increase and HWMonitor shows much lower temps. Hell my fans do not go crazy at the lower voltage either like they do on higher for the same clock.

I am surprised about this myself and wondering if there is something I am not seeing here or if I just got lucky with silicon lottery.

What is your Blender benchmark quick run score/time and at what clocks?
Mine is at 1.3625v and 4.3 all core but it shows on every monitoring software as 1.10v max, but my scores are all high like they should be. There is a bug somewhere

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Mine is at 1.3625v and 4.3 all core but it shows on every monitoring software as 1.10v max, but my scores are all high like they should be. There is a bug somewhere
Weird. All my monitoring software reports exactly what I set things too.

Just need someone else from here that has a 3600 to run some benchmarks to confirm my scores are correct for the said OC’s I have. Maybe I will post in the Ryzen 3600 thread.

Never seen any 3000 chip do 4.4 with such low voltage, especially bottom of the barrel 3600. A true golden chip you have. My 3600 will do OC 4.2 at 1.37v, so I just leave it on auto.
A small part of me wonders if I am doing something wrong, but not like I am a noob, been overclocking every cpu I have ever had the past 20+ years. I kind of got lucky with my 4770K also which I run at 4.7GHz for many years. It was close to doing 4.8GHz also, but just needed too much voltage so was never comfortable with that. A lot of people as I recall struggled getting 4,5GHz.

One of the things I always do is buy retail so I know it is not a chip that has been attempted to be binned :)

I did try a 4.6GHz on one core a few days ago. It was fine until I run Cinebench which threw out an error halfway through its run. Cannot remember what voltage I had, I think it was 1.4v, but I am guessing I would need something like 1.45v to try and get that stable which I am not comfortable with. Rather have all core 4.4GHz at 1.25v than a single core at 4.6GHz that makes a lot more heat and noise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Weird. All my monitoring software reports exactly what I set things too.

Just need someone else from here that has a 3600 to run some benchmarks to confirm my scores are correct for the said OC’s I have. Maybe I will post in the Ryzen 3600 thread.

A small part of me wonders if I am doing something wrong, but not like I am a noob, been overclocking every cpu I have ever had the past 20+ years. I kind of got lucky with my 4770K also which I run at 4.7GHz for many years. It was close to doing 4.8GHz also, but just needed too much voltage so was never comfortable with that. A lot of people as I recall struggled getting 4,5GHz.

One of the things I always do is buy retail so I know it is not a chip that has been attempted to be binned :)

I did try a 4.6GHz on one core a few days ago. It was fine until I run Cinebench which threw out an error halfway through its run. Cannot remember what voltage I had, I think it was 1.4v, but I am guessing I would need something like 1.45v to try and get that stable which I am not comfortable with. Rather have all core 4.4GHz at 1.25v than a single core at 4.6GHz that makes a lot more heat and noise.
On cpu z bench you should be getting 8000 ish multi and 540 ish single core, is that right ?
I get 8600 around on my 3900x and 543 single at 4.3 all core

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
On cpu z bench you should be getting 8000 ish multi and 540 ish single core, is that right ?
I get 8600 around on my 3900x and 543 single at 4.3 all core
Edit:

I only have half the cores you do so multi will be about half your score.

Using version 17.01.64 I got the score below.

Stock = 513.8 Single and 4052.1 Multi
4.3GHz all cores = 530.8 Single and 4341.0. (542.5 and 3927.2 using benchmark verion 19.01.64 VX2 beta.)
4.4GHz all cores = 541.4 Single and 4430.6. (552.2 and 4017.3 using benchmark verion 19.01.64 VX2 beta.)

Will attempt the Cinebench benchmark thread later on and see how far I can get :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Makes no sense, there's no space between the R7 3700X and R7 3800X. Maybe it's another weird OEM-only or China-only chip, or just total nonsense as usual.

Soldato
Plenty of articles comparing the X570 boards, have a Google.

Get my mobo (Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE). Good price for performance imo. Can be had for under £190 and has great VRMs :D

Thanks for the help both.

I've gone for a 3700X, X570 Elite and 2x8GB Sticks of 'BLS2K8G4D32AES' as it seems well recommended on here to hit 3600 if you're lucky. I've tried to go for some components that will last a similar time span to the 2500k Sandy Bridge gen..

Should be arriving tomorrow hopefully!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

I've gone for a 3700X, X570 Elite and 2x8GB Sticks of 'BLS2K8G4D32AES' as it seems well recommended on here to hit 3600 if you're lucky. I've tried to go for some components that will last a similar time span to the 2500k Sandy Bridge gen..

No problem :D

Soldato

Oooh nice. I think you'll be pleased with that lot. I'd get it all running stably at 3200Mhx 1st then start the learning curve that is Memory OC'ing as subsequent BIOS's have increased memory compatibility. You'll want latest W10 (1903?), ABBA BIOS (another one due soon) and latest AMD chipset drivers.

Soldato
FYI why AGESA ABBA is important to install, why has invalidated all July benchmark and why we should leave the CPU to default speeds and not try to force all core overclock from BIOS.

And with 1004 AGESA things will improve even further.

Soldato
FYI why AGESA ABBA is important to install, why has invalidated all July benchmark and why we should leave the CPU to default speeds and not try to force all core overclock from BIOS.

I get the right boosts with abba, but i get much much better temps and performance with an all core overclock and less little weird stutters as It decides to change boost speed mid game

Soldato
Maybe because your motherboard is using 16mb BIOS chip and Asrock will upgrade straight to 1004 those 16mb motherboards.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/asrock-x470-taichi-bios-size.18862263/
No evidence as far as I know that they'll jump straight to 1.0.0.4. When 1.0.0.3ABB was released, it took an extra 3 weeks to come out on the X470 Taichi Ultimate compared to the rest of their X470 boards, which were already late compared to the X570 ones of course. I really don't even expect a new UEFI before December.

Soldato
No evidence as far as I know that they'll jump straight to 1.0.0.4. When 1.0.0.3ABB was released, it took an extra 3 weeks to come out on the X470 Taichi Ultimate compared to the rest of their X470 boards, which were already late compared to the X570 ones of course. I really don't even expect a new UEFI before December.

You won't get UEFI bios on the X470 Taichi and pay a visit to Asrock reddit if you do not believe me that 1004 only on 16mb bios motherboards.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

But on stock settings I get 4150ish boost on one core and temps keep spiking to 60’s as soon as there is some light activity going due to vcore jumping to 1.44/1.46v. I can easily do all core 4200MHz and not have the temps go above 40C for the same workloads.

Going all core OC you get more performance and runs cooler. So am I missing something, why would I run it at stock?

I get the right boosts with abba, but i get much much better temps and performance with an all core overclock and less little weird stutters as It decides to change boost speed mid game
Agreed.

I think he is applying is logic to having a 3900X which has high clocks out of the box relative to the lower the stack CPU’s like my 3600. What he is saying applies to him, but not me unless I am missing something?

Just looked at your wig, you have same cpu as him. Lol. What voltage you on for your all core 4.4GHz?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom