New valve vr hmd

Associate
  • Any feedback re. the Index in Elite Dangerous? Some comments refer to the less black levels and vertical lines - are they that noticeable in Elite?
I've had a quick go of Elite and the clarity difference is brilliant. No more leaning in to try to read stuff :)
  • Can I still use my headphones? The Index ear speakers seem to be a selling point, but I think I'd prefer my usb headphones.
Maybe, not tried anything else but the ear speakers are pretty fab. They're very mono directional (is that a word or thing?) in that if you have them moved from your ear just a little bit the sound dies away.
Very clever stuff.
  • Does the Index need a mega PC? i.e. would my basic cpu and 1080ti handle the index? (see my sig).
It does need some serious grunt. It's the first headset that's seriously wants me to upgrade my GPU from a 'bog standard' 1080 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't do it on everything, but the things you can @2.0 looks stunning. Zaccaria Pinball, you'd think your looking at a 4k image.

Og Vive I was very happy going to a 2080ti, being able to ramp to 2.0 in Pcars 2 realised that.

Associate
Does the Index need a mega PC? i.e. would my basic cpu and 1080ti handle the index? (see my sig).
I am running a 1080 ti and index and it works quite well. Depends what you play - native games it will smash. Ports will be a bit more taxing but still runs well. As the resolution is increased there is less reliance on super sampling which is much more taxing

Caporegime
As a previous owner of the original Vive, and current owner of the PSVR and Valve Index, if you really have the money to spare and fancy a new experience, for the same money get a PSVR + Ps4 pro and Quest.
I did a side by side experiment with Tetris Effect on both the Index and PSVR, swapping the headsets out for comparison. Both my girlfriend and I agree the colour and depth of image was superior on the PSVR. The Index had a sharper image but that’s all.
The PSVR has that sense of wonder, the Index is very dry by comparison.
I’m new here so can’t sell stuff, but I put the Index up on ebay today, had two offers already. Glad I’ll be able to shift it quickly.
Stick to OLED screens, they are essential to the VR experience.

Very helpful. I barely use my PSVR and was considering dropping £910 on the Valve Index kit, but I don't think I'll bother.

PSVR is good enough for now.

Associate
Don't agree tbh with his summary, the original Vive is superior to the PSVR let alone the Index.

I never compared the Vive to the PSVR headset. Unlike the Index, both are Oled screens, so immediately both are superior in terms of colour vibrancy and image depth. Though having said that, while the tracking is better on the Vive obviously, the PSVR has considerably less SDE, is far more comfortable for extended use, and has better quality first party software.

Caporegime
I never compared the Vive to the PSVR headset. Unlike the Index, both are Oled screens, so immediately both are superior in terms of colour vibrancy and image depth. Though having said that, while the tracking is better on the Vive obviously, the PSVR has considerably less SDE, is far more comfortable for extended use, and has better quality first party software.

So in your opinion the original Vive is better than the Index?

Associate
So in your opinion the original Vive is better than the Index?

In terms of the metrics I outlined; LCD vs OLED, and the subsequent effect that has on the level of visual depth and immersion, yes.
If the other ways the Index is better: comfort, FOV, earspeakers, reduced SDE, amount to an overall better experience for you, that's great.

Associate
Having spent some time with my newly acquired second-hand Pro, I'm very happy with the increased clarity and reduce SDE (which is still visible, make no mistake, but it's much less in your face than my original Vive). The colours are still very colourful, the blacks are still mostly black. Can read text comfortably now and actually aim down gun sights. Very happy with it. The audio is the only thing that lets it down - the Vive DAS is substantially better. Also the cable is very annoying compared to the Vive's original ribbon cable. Will need to consider going wireless.

Will I consider buying the Index now? Not a chance - the Pro is definitely a keeper for me. I'll just get the Index controllers and maybe the V2 base stations so I can pass on the Vive to a family member.

Soldato
I'm tempted to get an Index for SkyrimVR.

I just wish there was a headset which had increased FOV and wireless with the clarity of the Index or rift S. ffs.

Associate
These headsets still on back order? and now the hype has gone surrounding it, is it really worth the price coming from a Oculus CV1?
Think that both rift s and index are decent upgrades from cv1 display wise. I went with index, as for me I thought the rift s was a downgrade in a lot of other areas. Overall I think the index offers the best overall vr experience compared to the rift s but it's probably not worth all the extra money. However I am defo keeping my index - it's defineltya keeper and will probably last a bit longer that the rift s.

Soldato
so I tried one out today and the valve index FOV is definitley an upgrade!

I'm going to buy one i think. it has its faults (glare, black levels, no wireless for the price) and feels like a very experimental piece of hardware, especially from the software side of things but it just felt right. like i wanted to put it on. probably to do with the IPD (I was 58.. basically the lower i put it, the clearer it is).

im just worried about getting dodgey controllers as valve seem horrible to go to for help with hardware.

i wish these were being sold on amazon.

Soldato
so I tried one out today and the valve index FOV is definitley an upgrade!

I'm going to buy one i think. it has its faults (glare, black levels, no wireless for the price) and feels like a very experimental piece of hardware, especially from the software side of things but it just felt right. like i wanted to put it on. probably to do with the IPD (I was 58.. basically the lower i put it, the clearer it is).

im just worried about getting dodgey controllers as valve seem horrible to go to for help with hardware.

i wish these were being sold on amazon.

At friends or in a store, if you don't mind me asking.

What did you demo? Wouldn't mind trying one before dropping a grand on one :D

---

Anyone who owns one have they used that gadget hole and USB in front for anything yet?

Soldato
At friends or in a store, if you don't mind me asking.

What did you demo? Wouldn't mind trying one before dropping a grand on one :D

---

Anyone who owns one have they used that gadget hole and USB in front for anything yet?
I went to a VR arcade and asked them if they could bring in an index. Had an hour played super hot arizona no man sky the aperature hand lab etc

Associate
There are still some dodgy controllers out there I believe. Mine had the click issue and joystick was rubbing against ribbon on the inside. Rma pair have been great though with no problems.

Controllers sold separately have good reports but just adds more cost to overall package

Soldato
These headsets still on back order? and now the hype has gone surrounding it, is it really worth the price coming from a Oculus CV1?

The CV1 sucks.

I'd take an Oculus Quest + Oculus Link, Vive Pro, Valve Index and Rift S over the CV1.

The Quest + Link is a bit of a stretch but I have a lot of faith it'll look nicer than CV1 and the tracking on my quest has left me very happy after the updates. Big deal breaker would be refresh rate but I'd take the extra clarity and the beautiful screen of the Quest (every CV1 screen I saw was horrible).
The Rift is a clear upgrade in clarity and a downgrade in sound. The only issue with it is no adjustible IPD.
The Index is another clear upgrade in clarity, FOV, sound, refresh rate but a downgrade in software and blacks.
The Vive Pro is just an upgrade in resolution whilst maintaining blacks and giving access to wireless if you like that.

Its a good time to be in VR. Lots of choice. Bang for buck, the Quest or Rift S are clear winners. Longevity wise, its clearly the Index. The Vive Pro is basically a dying breed of OLED headset which, if I owned, I probably wouldn't give up on. Its main negative is the disgusting controllers.

No matter which headset you choose, I think its an upgrade from CV1. The big miss from CV1 is clearly the controllers which I personally think are best-in-class. Just ergonimcally perfect, felt premium, perfectly weighted, button placement perfect, haptics great... I think they'll go down in VR history as the best controller of all time or one of them.

Caporegime
Crystal ball time

How often do you think they will update these? If these were launched in July, do you think we might see a Valve Index 2.0 in another 7-8 months?

I think i'd ideally want:
Wireless
OLED
Eye-tracking

GPU's/TV's and stuff like that seem to get updated every year. I wonder if it will be the same for VR?

Soldato
The problem is that to run the higher end VR headsets you need a high-end PC. With the best graphics cards costing £1000+ it's not going to be a big enough market, at least until foveated rendering with eye-tracking is mainstream.

Oculus has the right idea with trying to make VR cheap and mass market. I just wish they'd refreshed the Rift's form factor though rather than going with the Rift S.

Back
Top Bottom