Amazon losing it's touch lately?

Soldato
They are getting too big for their boots therefore their CS is starting to suffer.

Returned something last week, it's been received at their end but its hasn't been processed for a refund. I contacted them for an update, I have to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive at their sorting centre....... But it states its been received over a week ago :confused:

Returns has never been like this before and we are not in December yet.

Soldato
OP
I emailed the head of Amazon UK and they refunded me straight away. Suggest anyone having issues find his email and fire him one ;p

Soldato
I'm not a prime customer and what annoys me about amazon is their vague and confusing system of postage charging, whereas with eBay it's really simple.

Tbh I only use them when I've been given vouchers.

Associate
A £1600 laptop i ordered failed to arrive Tuesday. Its now been escalated to a 'special department'. I've asked if anyone signed for it, and no response, did you ask for ID? no response. So they happily hand over a £1600 parcel to anyone willing to accept it!

Hopefully refund will be processed swiftly.

Soldato
OP
A £1600 laptop i ordered failed to arrive Tuesday. Its now been escalated to a 'special department'. I've asked if anyone signed for it, and no response, did you ask for ID? no response. So they happily hand over a £1600 parcel to anyone willing to accept it!

Hopefully refund will be processed swiftly.

Does it say delivered? Samething happen to my laptop. Two days passed and no sign of it.

Man of Honour
Can’t say I’ve had any issues with them lately. If anything they’ve gotten better for me and I can order items a lot later in the day for next day than I used to be able to. Haven’t had a missed next day in the last few years.

That being said I live not too far from a depot and always get stuff delivered by Amazon Logistics.

Soldato
although it doesn't help I think it's just the size of the business...are there any stats on happy vs unhappy customers? I'm guessing 99%+ are happy?...

Soldato
OP
Yeh, was marked as delivered on the app. It was to be delivered to my GFs work, a large stand alone building with a big stonking sign outside, yet they still missed it.
Email the head of UK Amazon and get a refund. Sounds like the couriers are helping themselves to laptops.

Soldato
I have had Amazon prime for s few years now. Can't knock it at all. When I have had issues (I have had a few) their customer services have been beyond excellent. They may be tax dodging scumbags but other than that I can't think of anything bad about them

Caporegime
I have had Amazon prime for s few years now. Can't knock it at all. When I have had issues (I have had a few) their customer services have been beyond excellent. They may be tax dodging scumbags but other than that I can't think of anything bad about them

How does it dodge tax? If it was owing taxes it would be paying them.

This is just the system at work that the government does nothing about.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-why-does-amazon-pay-so-little-tax

How has the company lowered its tax bill?
Amazon has been paying employees in the form of shares, which is an expense it can offset against corporation tax.

Current rules say employees can be awarded £3,600 a year tax-free. Amazon’s share price has more than trebled in the last three years, so few employees given shares are likely to be complaining.

The only loser is HMRC, which misses out on the corporation tax and the taxes it would have got if the money had been paid as part of a salary.

This is completely legal, and long-established government policy. The idea of giving companies tax breaks to encourage them to give shares to workers was first launched by the then-Labour government in 2000.

It’s worth noting that the workforce went up by more than 5,000 in 2017, which means more money from income tax, national insurance, VAT flowing to the Exchequer.

Is that the whole story?
Absolutely not. Amazon UK Services Limited is only one part of the company’s activities in this country.

Amazon revealed in US filings that its total sales to the UK rose from £9.5bn to more than £11bn in 2017.

But the tax paid on all these UK sales is not publicly available information.

Why? Because sales made to customers in the UK are booked through the UK branch of a Luxembourg-based company, Amazon EU Sarl.

Retail sales were previously booked directly through the parent company, in order to take advantage of lower tax breaks in Luxembourg.

In 2015, the UK government introduced a “diverted profits tax” to try to stop companies taking advantage of arrangements like these.

Just before the new tax came into force, Amazon opened the UK branch, meaning UK sales and profits were declared to HMRC.

But the fact that sales are booked through the UK branch of an overseas company, rather than through a UK-based subsidiary means Amazon doesn’t have to publish accounts detailing the tax it pays in respect of its total activities in the UK.

Again, this arrangement is entirely legal.

Amazon put out a statement today saying: “We pay all taxes required in the UK and every country where we operate.

“In May 2015, to ensure we had the best business structure to serve our customers going forward, we established a local country branch of Amazon EU Sarl in the UK, with all retail revenues, expenses, profits and taxes due now accounted for in the UK.”

Just lovely little loopholes left in like gaping wounds.

Last edited:
Soldato
never really had a delivery issue w/ Amazon, and they're about the only people who will use my "safe place" option instead of making my trawl to the 'ing PO w/ its idiotically short open hours, but what is really 'ing me off is the amount of Chinese sellers. Everything quotes a short delivery time, then you order something and it suddenly becomes the equivalent number of weeks instead of days, and suddenly you have no idea if you've just ordered a legit item or a knock-off.

Soldato
Just to add a balanced argument, I order 2 - 3 times a week from Amazon and have never (yet) had anything go missing. Occasionally the date slips 24hours or so, but 95% of the time it arrives when it says it will.

I do have a "safe spot" porch with my house though, so I don't need to be home for anything to be delivered. It just gets left in the safe spot.

Yeah same here. It's actually quite worrying how much i order from there.

I've now also signed up to their "Subscribe and Save" service. It's excellent for dog food :)

Back
Top Bottom