Win10 or Win7 for new PC?

Caporegime
Windows 7 was also fine for me but when I built my new machine I upgraded to 10 and haven't really had any bother. I do run a shell called Open Shell that makes it look more like windows 7 though.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately with a new Ryzen system you are likely to have problems getting it running on 7 and/or have a less efficient utilisation of the CPU.

Windows 7 is a superior OS in many respects and I still run it on the systems I use the most because it is far less disruptive and less likely to try and take control out of the user's hands at the times you need it most, etc. part of the reason I've not hurried to move on from my 4820K.

Soldato
I have never had Windows 10 interrupt any game I've been playing to tell me about an update. I suppose it could do that if you have it set to notify you but then who's fault is it?

I game all the time, never had any issues with Win10 updates, apart from that one WU where your OS was listed as not activated any more, was fixed within a few days however. In general good as any of my older Operating Systems, stability is great for me even with my overclocks, no brainer for me to stay on 10, nothing broke, rock stable and does what I want. For a new build I would go 10, especially as a gamer, since a lot of new games will be 10 only, do you really want to be caught out running 7 which is on the way out anyway and find out some games or hardware not compatible.

It's all fine to stay on 7 but you restrict yourself and sooner or later you have to move on, it may be in one years time,three years or ten years but you will move on.

Caporegime
I game all the time, never had any issues with Win10 updates, apart from that one WU where your OS was listed as not activated any more, was fixed within a few days however. In general good as any of my older Operating Systems, stability is great for me even with my overclocks, no brainer for me to stay on 10, nothing broke, rock stable and does what I want. For a new build I would go 10, especially as a gamer, since a lot of new games will be 10 only, do you really want to be caught out running 7 which is on the way out anyway and find out some games or hardware not compatible.

It's all fine to stay on 7 but you restrict yourself and sooner or later you have to move on, it may be in one years time,three years or ten years but you will move on.

Exactly. Time to move on. In fact it was probably time to move on a couple of years ago.

Man of Honour
I have never had Windows 10 interrupt any game I've been playing to tell me about an update. I suppose it could do that if you have it set to notify you but then who's fault is it?

It used to be much harder to control the notifications for updates - fortunately they have mostly sorted that - I've not had it push up a notification interrupting a game for awhile but I have had it push notifications over other stuff even with the "right" settings - occasionally for important updates, etc. it thinks it knows better than you - sometimes if for whatever reason updates haven't been applied in awhile it will still put a modal dialogue up over your game.

I still sometimes get it reboot to install pending updates while something like a game is running though :( mostly if I leave a system running benchmarks it sometimes seems to somehow think it is unattended and initiate a restart.

Vista was fine, the problem that it had was the very high system hardware requirements.

I don't know why you are not annoyed that Windows 7 sucks particularly bad in the department that it doesn't support modern hardware, everything you name it - Ryzen CPUs, high-DPI screens, DirectX 12, numerous new peripheral devices.

Kind of sucks in terms of support for the latest CPUs, I've not had any issues with high-DPI screens, DX12 isn't a huge miss at the moment (and MS have actually started trickling out some backwards compatibility with DX12 features to 7 recently) and quite a few games actually run smoother on DX11 without in many cases any real feature loss and personally I've found peripherals that don't support 7 a tiny minority and in most cases variants exist that do support 7.

Soldato
Soldato
The problem with the whole "it's time to move on" is that normally we get the bonus of being able to move onto a better operating system than the one we're coming from. But Windows 10 still has a long way to go in that regard.

Man of Honour
Any reason to even consider Windows 7?

Not really an option on 3000 series Ryzen if you want full proper operation of the CPU - especially with the incoming updates for 10 that improve multi-threaded core usage.

Personally though I will be dragging out upgrading my main machines from 7 even though I have several other systems on 10 for various reasons - 10 still needs so much work and a better developer strategy and vision.

Soldato
I'm on 10 because:
1) I game in VR and Oculus pushes people toward 10.
2) My 3770k was the weakest link in my VR sim rig and a meaningful upgrade (new equipment) wouldn't work with 7.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for the input.

I guess I'll end up going with Win10 and maybe look into this "Open Shell" thing.

It's just I use Win10 at work and I'm constantly shouting at it (internally) about why some things don't work or why it looks like crap or why things aren't where they were in Win7.

Goodbye Win7, You'll always be in my heart (just like Win2000 was before you) :D

Soldato
I recently upgraded from 7 to 10 after years of refusing to upgrade (had the same install of Win7 running since 2010.) I decided to go with a fresh clean install rather than upgrade due to fears of something failing. I backed my data onto an external HDD and everything has gone smoothly really (no game or driver problems.)

The only difference is in performance, I've noticed that the desktop sometimes acts funny, like desktop icons will change location when running some games/apps for the first time. Also I use Fences and it's not as responsive as it was in Win7 and it takes longer for saved files to appear etc. Not sure if thats a software issue or its because of my aging i5 2500k not being upto the Win10 standard.

Permabanned
I recently upgraded from 7 to 10 after years of refusing to upgrade (had the same install of Win7 running since 2010.) I decided to go with a fresh clean install rather than upgrade due to fears of something failing. I backed my data onto an external HDD and everything has gone smoothly really (no game or driver problems.)

The only difference is in performance, I've noticed that the desktop sometimes acts funny, like desktop icons will change location when running some games/apps for the first time. Also I use Fences and it's not as responsive as it was in Win7 and it takes longer for saved files to appear etc. Not sure if thats a software issue or its because of my aging i5 2500k not being upto the Win10 standard.

Desktop icons do change location when the desktop resolution is changed. They don't arrange on their own while going through different active resolutions.

Soldato
The problem with the whole "it's time to move on" is that normally we get the bonus of being able to move onto a better operating system than the one we're coming from. But Windows 10 still has a long way to go in that regard.

Problem with that statement is it's really a preference thing, end of the day we all have our favourite OS, but even then we realise it will one day be phased out and time to move to a new OS. Do I think 10 is bad as some people think? No, do I think Win7 is great? No. Do I like Linux? Yes, end of the day we all have different opinions and real life experiences with operating systems.

Caporegime
Hate to say it, but Windows 10.

I was still on 7 a couple of months back, and was saying all the time, no way am i going to Windows 10, its always hosing your rig everytime it updates, its just broken etc... etc..., so im staying on Windows 7, but i decided to get a whole new rig, with Windows 10 on, so i could keep my Windows 7 rig, if Windows 10 did indeed keep hosing, so i could go back to it, but nope, ive had no issues at all with it so far, every updates gone fine.

Yes there are issues for some, Start Bar breaking, High CPU Usage etc..., but ive had absolutely no issues at all, so im eating my words at present :p

My Windows 7 rig, is just sitting in my spare room, collecting dust at present.

Besides, the new Ryzens and the x570 chipset, aren't supported on Windows 7 either, so you would have to do some ******* about, to get them working.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hate to say it, but Windows 10.

I was still on 7 a couple of months back, and was saying all the time, no way am i going to Windows 10, its always hosing your rig everytime it updates, its just broken etc... etc..., so im staying on Windows 7, but i decided to get a whole new rig, with Windows 10 on, so i could keep my Windows 7 rig, if Windows 10 did indeed keep hosing, so i could go back to it, but nope, ive had no issues at all with it so far, every updates gone fine.

Yes there are issues for some, Start Bar breaking, High CPU Usage etc..., but ive had absolutely no issues at all, so im eating my words at present :p

My Windows 7 rig, is just sitting in my spare room, collecting dust at present.

Besides, the new Ryzens and the x570 chipset, aren't supported on Windows 7 either, so you would have to do some ******* about, to get them working.

Windows 10 always seems to work better for some people than others - my dad's desktop rarely takes more than 10 minutes to update even on the bigger updates and never seems to break after an update despite being one of the messier systems as it gets used by my nephews, etc. when they visit. The only problem he has had is the odd time when Windows update has kicked in at a bad moment - usually when he has been up later than usual working on stuff.

People who only have one PC and use a system daily within something close to a 9-5 working existence and leave the system on overnight probably have much less issue with Windows update than someone like me with multiple Windows 10 systems that get used sporadically, don't leave them on between being used, live all kinds of odd hours and have a more diverse than typical usage for an OS where Windows 10's update behaviour is completely obnoxious, rude and unacceptable.

Soldato
Windows 10 always seems to work better for some people than others - my dad's desktop rarely takes more than 10 minutes to update even on the bigger updates and never seems to break after an update despite being one of the messier systems as it gets used by my nephews, etc. when they visit. The only problem he has had is the odd time when Windows update has kicked in at a bad moment - usually when he has been up later than usual working on stuff.

People who only have one PC and use a system daily within something close to a 9-5 working existence and leave the system on overnight probably have much less issue with Windows update than someone like me with multiple Windows 10 systems that get used sporadically, don't leave them on between being used, live all kinds of odd hours and have a more diverse than typical usage for an OS where Windows 10's update behaviour is completely obnoxious, rude and unacceptable.

My main Win10 game PC is switched on in morning and turned off late at night everyday, my Win10 laptop (no.3) rarely gets used ie three to four weeks or months just for updates,drivers etc since my no.2 PC is Linux based, not had any issues with my laptop PC which originally had Win7 preinstalled, so it's showing its age hardware wise now even with Win10 installed.

As always people have different experiences but mine is generally very good regardless of OS in question.

Man of Honour
my Win10 laptop (no.3) rarely gets used ie three to four weeks or months just for updates,drivers etc

I have several systems I use like this - but if I turn them on it is for a reason and I usually don't have time to leave it for best part of an hour or sometimes more while Windows 10 sorts itself out - after about 2 minutes from being started Windows update related tasks are chewing tons of CPU and disc IO, etc. and trying to do anything is constantly disrupted by how busy the system is - I'd happily leave the systems going for a bit after I'm done to update, I'd happily spare a couple of minutes to apply any critical security updates that might have come out since the last time I had the system on but nope Windows 10's behaviour doesn't work like that. I'm happy for those that Windows 10 works fine for but its implementation is ultimately short sighted and obnoxious when it doesn't work smoothly with the users requirements.

Soldato
OP
So I got my new PC up and running and went with Win10.

Part of me is enjoying the 'new feeling' of tinkering with something unfamiliar.

Nothing overly terrible has happened yet, but just a few bullet points.

* On multiple monitors, I hate clicking a file explorer on one window and having the window open on another. Still, I think Win7 acted the same?
* Unsure why no matter how many times I click update, it's not giving me the option for 1903 (I'm on 1803), kinda weird.
* Hate how folders look like office docs with all that crap underneath 'file' 'home' 'share' etc etc...
* Still haven't edited my start menu to get rid of those stupid tiles. Is there an easy way?

So far so good I guess :)

Caporegime
So I got my new PC up and running and went with Win10.

Part of me is enjoying the 'new feeling' of tinkering with something unfamiliar.

Nothing overly terrible has happened yet, but just a few bullet points.

* On multiple monitors, I hate clicking a file explorer on one window and having the window open on another. Still, I think Win7 acted the same?
* Unsure why no matter how many times I click update, it's not giving me the option for 1903 (I'm on 1803), kinda weird.
* Hate how folders look like office docs with all that crap underneath 'file' 'home' 'share' etc etc...
* Still haven't edited my start menu to get rid of those stupid tiles. Is there an easy way?

So far so good I guess :)
1903 wouldn’t update for me because I had a USB drive connected. Wired I know.

Back
Top Bottom