Citroen C5 tourer

Soldato
I've been looking for a replacement work hack for my trusty old 2005 corsa which has just ticked past 143k and she's a little worse for wear now.

Ideally I'm after a MPV/Estate car for work, ferrying two under 3's about and chucking the bikes in the back occasionally.

I'm kind of torn between a C5 tourer or a mondeo estate. Resale value is of no issue as i intend to keep it until it's more hassle than its worth. I'm reluctant to go diesel as my work is literally only 5 miles each way but most bigger cars with petrol engines are either crazy to tax and uneconomical. I will be travelling to wales and the peak district pretty often for biking.

Budget is around 3k but i'd like the car to be practical and comfortable. I was looking at Mondeo estates in titanium trim but these generally go for around a grand more than the C5's.

So..... I've seen a 2009 C5 local to me for £2700 with 82,000 on the clock. It ticks all the boxes but it has the 1.6 diesel engine which i know can be a minefield if they havent been serviced well, especially the earlier ones. This does have service history apparently, still waiting to talk to the garage for info on that.

Anyone have any advice on what to look for? I'm ready for the don't buy french rubbish but citroen are great in the comfort department.

Cheers.

Associate
I'm going to say what most others will say, if you're only doing 5 mile trips then avoid the diesel. Also question how the C5 has been used, if it's a daily car then 82,000 on a 10 year old diesel isn't enough.

Can't help on the actual car choice but my money would be Mondeo any day of the week over those two. There must be a reason it's still one of the most popular cars.

Soldato
Find a Mondeo with the 2.0 NA petrol engine if you want no a hassle, cheap to run, cheap to fix car.

Finding a petrol C5 will be very difficult. You could have a look at the Peugeot 407 which is largely the same car, although I think the SW estate isn't quite so big in terms of volume. Only the high end C5 Exclusive's had hydraulic suspension, most are on conventional springs which removes the old Citroen USP anyway.

Volvo V70 would be worth a look too.

Soldato
Just about every Citroen C5 started life as a company or fleet car, so only consider one if it’s very tidy and has a full service history.

As others have already posted, your daily mileage isn’t ideal for a diesel.

If you do insist on a C5, check all the electrics work flawlessly and there’s no noises or clunks coming from the suspension.

Associate
The C5 is a terrible, old and VERY complicated French car with multiplex wiring; I would avoid like the plague.

It's only slight positive is it is a huge car.

Get a Skoda Ocatvia estate.

Back
Top Bottom