Mot testers over the top?

Soldato
the MOT testers job is to -;

look at the rule book
compare rule book against the car
any issues major/minor/advisories noted
The rule book says they can just move it out the way and inform the driver they've done so.

An advisory isn't really necessary according to the rule book but nor is it a big deal.

Permabanned
nothing to do with that..

its the random/dumb expectation of "oh why does it get an advisory for that sheesh just move it out of the way... MOT testers are such bores, wont go there again"

or you could.. you know, just move it yourself before handing the car over and there wont be a problem when someone does their job as required. SHOCK.
I guess it’s more of an issue for you than it is for me.

Fortunately I work in garages on a daily basis many will not be such a jobsworth, some will and life will go on.

Permabanned
Lol at all the people who think they have an mot tester in their back pocket because they're friendly with them :)
Lol who said anything about back pocket?

When you’ve been doing work for people for the last 13 years you do become friendly :)

Perks of the job as they say doesn’t mean every garage but some you get on with better than others.

Last edited:
Associate
So glad my friend does my MOT, he will carry out work during an MOT, bulbs, brakes that sort of thing.
Silly rules some of them. He does only do it for people he trusts though would never send an unsafe car on its way.
very much doubt he works on your brakes whilst he’s logged on. More like logged a fail did your brakes and pass on retest.

Too many mots too far over or under the time slot will get the vosa jobsworth a stiffy and warrant a visit.

Soldato
very much doubt he works on your brakes whilst he’s logged on. More like logged a fail did your brakes and pass on retest.

Too many mots too far over or under the time slot will get the vosa jobsworth a stiffy and warrant a visit.
Obviously you know better than me when I'm stood with him as he does it.

Associate
Some people just can't think in "grey" and only in black and white.
Thankfully my friend even carries out the service while doing an MOT to save time overall and it just makes sense.
Because the same things are checked in a service. Your mot friend might be ripping you off. the mot is only a visual to make sure the vehicle is safe at time of inspection whereas a service is a proper check where items such as brake pads at 2mm is a pass (1.5mm)but would be flagged in a service.
So yes saves time but your not getting the value for money even though your paying less for an mot and service

Associate
Obviously you know better than me when I'm stood with him as he does it.
Yes I do it’s in vosa rules. He has to be logged on ie enter his pin that is randomly generated when he pushes a button on his card. Vosa monitor the time logged on.

Also he cannot log on again to mot another car so you will taking someone’s mot slot and the mot ramp. A simple pad change can take an hour when you add time waiting for parts.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are loads of cars driving around with illigal mods and MOT testers who look the other way though.

Because there are some bent MOT testers then they should all be bent; seems entirely reasonable. Do you think this should apply to all professions: police, doctors, builders etc?

Soldato
Well I did pass with a decat on for about 4 years, but then I'd known him for 5 and a bit and he was the only one to work on my car so knew everything else about it.

I passed with a decat last month and this was at a garage I'd never been to before :)

Tbh it was squeaky bum time with the advent of tightened rules about OEM emissions devices, but she went straight through.

Back
Top Bottom