The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Soldato
As far as I know, all keys from the AMD promotion are for the Epic store. The Steam release isn't until late next year.
AMD also give away 3 months PC Xbox game pass which means you can download & play for 3 months on Windows Store with Xbox Live integration at launch. MS bought the developer a few months ago as well but do not own this IP but obviously now MS own them it was never ever not going to come on launch day to the Windows Store was it!!

Soldato
People have a lot of nostalgia for previous Obsidian titles, and the trailers looked quite attractive. This is giving people a lot of hope and optimism that Outer Worlds will be a good game, but nowadays it's best to be cautious until the reports from the early adopters are in.

My prediction: there was a good game taking shape, but then Microsoft bought Obsidian, moved the majority of the team on to something else, and left a few people to finish TOW to fulfill the contract obligation. What we'll wind up with is something akin to Crackdown 3.

Associate
It's sad that most games are released too early and as such it is rare that I buy one on release, though it does happen; just wondering what has
really changed to push for an early release for many games these days.

Associate
Likely the ability to patch games and have DLC on consoles resulted in more games being released too early as they always have that as a go to if the game isn't truly yet finished. Previously they had to actually finish games, but even in the case of one of the most finished games of all time Zelda OOT on N64, they took extra time to finish it, yet speedrunners have subsequently made a mockery of it, so even with all that care and attention games were released with huge bugs or exploits. I suppose with patches you can in theiry eventually completely fix a game.

Associate
So far the only reason I can come up with is to use the public to do the majority of play testing, thereby saving them a bundle getting the game completed (for the most part).

Soldato
There's also the marketing and the slots on the shelves in stores, etc. You have to buy TV time in advance, and if the game isn't ready, you just ship it as is and patch it up as you go.

Soldato
I love Obsidian to death, but the idea that they could create great games but are always derailed by poor publishers is given too much credence imo... They make great games, but they are messes and its usually down to them!

Associate
35 gb downloaded, ready, waiting, here. Roll on next Friday.

Fair play to Microsoft. It's fur free ffs. (well worth £2 a month for the next 14 months given the switcheroo with an el cheapo game pass recently)

Just need Wastelanders to appear and Fallout 76 will become something worth playing next year too. Finally. Eventually.

Soldato
Never was a fan of the Fallout series, despite trying my damnedest to get into it. I just never got immersed into the world, post apocalyptic worlds aren't my thing.

HOWEVER, this looks like it's a bit more up my alley, it's got monsters, sci fi, stupid humour.... Sooooo, I'm hoping it tickles the spot. I doubt I'll be buying from the get go, but certainly keeping my eye on it.

Soldato
I love Obsidian to death, but the idea that they could create great games but are always derailed by poor publishers is given too much credence imo... They make great games, but they are messes and its usually down to them!

Yep, somebody above has already decided its Microsofts fault if its not good...

Associate
A high tech copy of Fallout New Vegas is always welcomed to the gaming community. :D

However lets hope if not another Fallout 76. :(

I would play Fallout 76 if it wasn't for the engine sickness developed.
Unreal engine and a Fallout (related) designed game, what can go wrong?

Nothing :)

Soldato
35 gb downloaded, ready, waiting, here. Roll on next Friday.

Fair play to Microsoft. It's fur free ffs. (well worth £2 a month for the next 14 months given the switcheroo with an el cheapo game pass recently)

Just need Wastelanders to appear and Fallout 76 will become something worth playing next year too. Finally. Eventually.
Hmm its only 10MB now the day one patch apparently is as large as the game & 38GB on Xbox platforms (PC & XB1X) this is why no PC game pass preload right now they are still finalising the latest build!

Soldato
Hmm its only 10MB now the day one patch apparently is as large as the game & 38GB on Xbox platforms (PC & XB1X) this is why no PC game pass preload right now they are still finalising the latest build!

Ahh that explains the difference, been wondering how some people getting GB of download yet am only seeing 10mb.

Back
Top Bottom