Ford Mondeo - Car Losing Revs (Power)

Soldato
Hi

My Ford Mondeo is on around 116k miles, just recently it has started losing revs when doing motorway driving,

When in 6th for example at 70 is is usually on 2.5k revs, but ever 4 seconds or so this drops down to 2k revs and it has to accelerate again... This is really noticeable and the car judders when it happens.

When using cruise control on this speed, and it active going up a slight motorway hill will cause it to lose enough power to turn off the cruise control.

MPG also seems a lot worse as a result.

Not a clue what is wrong with it, I took it to a Ford garage (and mentioned it when it has a service a couple of hundred miles ago) but they said they couldn't find anything... I don't think they took looked tbh.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Cheers

(Car is a Ford Mondeo TCDI 2L Diesel 2013)

Video - https://imgur.com/T5t7f1h

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When it gets to about 2.5K

Sorry understand, doesn't drop in speed majorly just revs (and a thud in performance)... Maybe a 1-2Mph drop but I don't notice too much
How can it take a "thud" in performance but not really slow down. I'm not sure I understand what's actually happening.

500rpm in 6th in a Mondeo is going to be a fair old drop, must be 10mph or so?

Edit
Just checked, a 500rpm drop in 6th gear is approximately 18mph of speed loss!
Your report can't be accurate.

Soldato
OP
How can it take a "thud" in performance but not really slow down. I'm not sure I understand what's actually happening.

500rpm in 6th in a Mondeo is going to be a fair old drop, must be 10mph or so?

Edit
Just checked, a 500rpm drop in 6th gear is approximately 18mph of speed loss!
Your report can't be accurate.

It gets up to around 2.5k revs, then drops down, I keep my foot on the accelerator (maybe I compensate it) and don't see a huge drop in speed

I have a video a passenger took I will try and get drop a few days ago, but it has got worse... Will get it off him

Soldato
Clutch slipping?

In 6th there's no way the revs could be changing that quickly if the engine is actually connected to the wheels. Even if it could it's be throwing you around the car.

Soldato
I saw the video and it is weird. I drive a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo myself and don't think I could make it do that if I tried. At that speed in 6th it just wouldn't react that fast either flooring it or lifting off completely.

Surprising that it isn't showing any error codes.

Soldato
OP
I saw the video and it is weird. I drive a 2.0 TDCi Mondeo myself and don't think I could make it do that if I tried. At that speed in 6th it just wouldn't react that fast either flooring it or lifting off completely.

Surprising that it isn't showing any error codes.

Thanks :) Exactly! Driven this for 100k miles since I got it, this is definitely strange (also the Ford eCheck came back all green 300 miles ago)

Caporegime
Thanks - Did you manage to see the short GIF? Are there any checks I can do?
Looks like clutch slip, you test it by selecting as high a gear as possible and flooring the throttle, ideally on an uphill section of road,if your revs rise but speed doesn’t then your clutch needs it’s last rites.

Soldato
If the engine RPM is actually changing without significant impact on road speed, then it's almost certainly the clutch slipping. 6th gear is where it's most likely to happen, and 116k seems not unreasonable for a clutch if it's spent quite a few of those miles doing start/stop city driving rather than mostly motorway.

Any strange smells after a drive?

Soldato
Don't most cars use a combination of engine and road speed to calculate in the ECU what gear the car is in? If that goes out of whack (I.E if the clutch starts slipping) the ECU may think you've dipped the clutch hence the cruise control cutting out.

I'd do the classic high gear at 30 mph, pin the throttle, look for the revs changing while the speed remains relatively stable. To confirm that the clutch is on its last legs.

Back
Top Bottom