GAMING THIS GENERATION ........POOR

Associate
Maybe its my age (45) but was chatting to my mate and we both agreed this generation of gaming has just been one of broken releases, non imaginative games and 100s of remakes or sequels .

its use to be buy a game which worked play it and have fun take it in and trade it for another game,

now its buy a game for 50 quid and then have to spend more on micro transactions to fully appreciate the game or get a weapon that should have been included in the first place , then wait for several patches to get the game in the state it should have been on release .

then after all that its a sequel which is not much different to the last one gameplay wise .

And what is it with this obsession with skins for this and that who cares ! i would rather have a game that works than worry about spending money on a skin and a silly looking hat .....

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhh rant over :)

Associate
The only AAA exception off the top of my head to this is CD:pR who are the only developer that seem to genuinely care about the product they put out and the customers who buy it.

The games are usually well polished to boot and have few bugs.

Shawrey

Soldato
Maybe its my age (45) but was chatting to my mate and we both agreed this generation of gaming has just been one of broken releases, non imaginative games and 100s of remakes or sequels .

its use to be buy a game which worked play it and have fun take it in and trade it for another game,

now its buy a game for 50 quid and then have to spend more on micro transactions to fully appreciate the game or get a weapon that should have been included in the first place , then wait for several patches to get the game in the state it should have been on release .

then after all that its a sequel which is not much different to the last one gameplay wise .

And what is it with this obsession with skins for this and that who cares ! i would rather have a game that works than worry about spending money on a skin and a silly looking hat .....

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhh rant over :)

You're playing the wrong games. I'm 33 and there are some stunning games this generation, they're just not (largely) the big AAA ones. Detroit: Become Human, The Last of Us, Zelda BOTW, Persona 5, Life is Strange, Hyper Light Drifter, Into the Breach, the Divinity series of games, Nier, Hollow Knight.Those are just the ones of the top of my head. With the exception of Zelda and Persona (the latter of which I wouldn't call a huge well known series), they're all new IPs and genuinely inventive games.

This generation was far better than the last one, and I'd argue the one before that for imaginative games. You just need to look beyond the well known / hyped ones.

Soldato
I’d say this has been one of the best generations yet for me. And we’re still not done yet. Cp2077 and tlou2 is yet to come. :) and fingers crossed all PS4 releases will be compatible with ps5 too.

Associate
For a lot of things it's difficult to know if it's getting worse, or you are just getting older.
I think on balance gaming has never been better. But after the ZX Spectrum I hardly played any video games until I got a second hand Playstation 1. And I have literally never touched a Nintendo game except for one go on the orange cased double LCD screen Donkey Kong when that was current.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Quite a strange opinion.

Switch:

SM: Odessey
Zelda: BOTW
Zelda: LTTP
Super smash bros
Celeste (all platforms)
Hollow Knight (all platforms)
Super Mario Maker 2
Cuphead (MS as well)

PS4:

RDR:2
GTA:5
God of War
Uncharted 4
Witcher 3
Divinity Original Sin
Sekiro
Titanfall 2
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Horizon Zero Dawn

Anyone who suggests that this generation of gaming has been weak is either trolling or simply hasn't bothered to play many games.

Soldato
maybe i should ditch the xbox for a ps then

If you have never owned a PS4, you really are missing out on some absolutely amazing games

Horizon Zero Dawn
Detroit Become Human
God of War
The Last of Us
Spiderman
The Uncharted series (old, but still great)

I have all three consoles, and the xbox gets the least use (and the most, ps4....by a mile)

Soldato
There are loads of amazing games, you just choose to ignore them because your age gives you less time to play them compared to when you were younger (I'm the same)

I'm currently playing Hellblade Senuas Sacrifice as I've managed to draw myself away from my usual quick fix of Hunt Showdown and it really is something else

I'm sure there are many more, I just don't have the time to find and play them

Soldato
I'm much more frugal. AD:O and Odyssey were well worth the coin! Currently in BOTW and have W3 to come on Switch Lite. I think I somewhat agree that new IP is few and far between but I have so much to catch up on!

Associate
OP
Quite a strange opinion.

Switch:

SM: Odessey
Zelda: BOTW
Zelda: LTTP
Super smash bros
Celeste (all platforms)
Hollow Knight (all platforms)
Super Mario Maker 2
Cuphead (MS as well)

PS4:

RDR:2
GTA:5
God of War
Uncharted 4
Witcher 3
Divinity Original Sin
Sekiro
Titanfall 2
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Horizon Zero Dawn

Anyone who suggests that this generation of gaming has been weak is either trolling or simply hasn't bothered to play many games.

im trolling nobody chap . its my opinion

every fifa out has hardly been any different
first 2 metros were great but the last one was to much dialogue
f1 boring
call of duty was great until advanced warfare
red dead 2 --found it boring to be honest
gears -loved 3 and 4 but 5 is not brilliant

really enjoyed the following games
shadow at war but the sequel was rubbish due to needing to buy microtransactions to get far :(
mutant zero return to eden --still playing this now
wolfenstien --sequal was rubbish
far cry 3 excellent as was far cry 4 but primal and 5 were trash
grid the 360 version loved this and getting the new one soon
tomb raider was ok but not mind blowing

i gameshare ,also have ea access and gamepass ultimate and have 379 games i have either brought or got free so to say i dont play many games is a bit off the mark .

its probably an age thing you know wife,2 kids and working to put food and roof over their head leaves little time for gaming and my reactions have gone so games like the witcher which i have the deluxe version of become just to big and long to do .

you can basically buy any version of any ea sports game and in the past 5 years there has hardly been any change in the way they play just updated rostas and more micro stuff.

Soldato
I'm 38, played games since I was about 6-7 (started out with an Amstrad CPC 464!) and there are still interesting games out there that try new things.

Yes, there are heaps of sequels and reboots but you're not forced to buy them, I haven't bought a FIFA or COD in years and don't miss either of them. Try some indie titles, get yourself a Switch, heck even try Apple Arcade for some different titles.

There are only so many gameplay mechanics available, most open-world titles feel very samey nowadays and if you distil down most FPS titles they are just "go here, shoot things, go somewhere else" so it's hard for developers to introduce new stuff that isn't just a gimmick that can't sustain a whole game.

As for skins/microtransactions, I just ignore them unless they're required for a game in which case I just ignore the game :D

Back
Top Bottom