• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help me to choose a right CPU

TrM

TrM

Associate
You don't need the 3400G as you're buying a GPU. The plain 3400 will do fine, though you could use the funds to upgrade to the the 3600.

I thought that ryzen 5 3600 was the lowest cpu you could get with 3200/3400g being Apu? amd currently have ryzen 3000 cpu to match the price of the Apu’s

Associate
OP
No no. Actually these are the missing reflections DICE culled intentionally to make Ray Tracing look better when activated. Dice admitted so.
These reflections exist on all previous games using Frostbite engine, all way to Battlefront 1.

That's the biggest Nvidia anti consumer scam exists atm, yet Nvidia fans try to bury it under the carpet.

The best part, is AMD cards lost almost no performance activating those reflections, while Nvidia cards like the 2070S loses 10% fps. :D
Oh well...so it's as clear as the white blue sky!
Yet, amazingly, something as low end as the 9400F and RX 570 can do RT, isn't that marvelous?

Associate
OP
You don't need the 3400G as you're buying a GPU. The plain 3400 will do fine, though you could use the funds to upgrade to the the 3600.
I like the Wraith Spire which comes with the G version. Lower price variants some with Wraith Stealth which basically asking consume to buy their own cooler.

Associate
OP
He doesn't want amd and he has a low budget, so get a i5 8400 and the rtx 2060 or a used gtx 1080ti. You are good to go.
I don't mind spending a bit more to get what is worth of it. My budget varies.

Given the narrow upgrading path of Intel, I choose something which is the lowest in the same class. I want the rig to last as long as my current one which has been keeping me happy for the last 5 years.

Associate
OP
Summarizing all you folks recommendations and advice, I have decided NOT to procure used parts. There are 2 reasons mainly:

1) Quality assurance; it is very hard to tell the actual condition of the part, how to test and RMA is not possible in case the results turn out to be negative.
2) Hard to justify the price of the items; a used i7 might be pricey than a brand new i3 9100F. And the prices vary greatly.

I have decided to go for a NEW system, with some room for future upgrade. The scale of the upgrade will be platform dependent. What I mean is two options are being considered, one being the AMD platform, the other is the INTEL's.

The route is based on the justifications of price, upgrade-ability and the game genre which I play mostly.

I appreciate the idea of going for AMD because of its future proofing more or less, and the backward compatibility offer which I think is a genius strategy by AMD. The PS5 and XBOX's deployment of Ryzen CPUs also affect my decision here. As mentioned in previous thread, politically future games will be driven by these two game vendors. 8c16t definitely is the trend to go beginning in the fall of 2020, that is a little more than a year and a half away. BUT, there is still some time here and maybe AMD will offer more flexible chips and chipsets during this 18 months. Therefore, a more balanced approach is to select a CPU which is just less than 50% of usage across most of the AAA titles predominately BFV, The Honor and FFXV. I would also be looking at some other up coming AAA titles most notably the COD. After watching over 50 videos in the last 3 months, I have observed that even a 1600X can reserve much room when running at Ultra settings coupled with a high end GPU Like the RTX 2080 under 1080 gaming environment. This highly suggests that modern games are more GPU dependent rather than CPU bounded.

It is also undeniable that Intel 9th gen is sort of coming to an end. The lethal factor is the frequent release of next generation products and the minute difference between consecutive generations. The difference between the 8th and 9th gen CPUs aren't really significant. And the removal of additional thread evident in the i7 9700K is hard to comprehend. The attitude of Intel also displays to the community an impression that we should all spend more to get additional cores and threads if you want to gain more FPS. Otherwise you're not left with much choices. This arrogance has caused some frustration and dissatisfaction within the community and further divides the factions. At the same time, the horsepower delivered by Ryzen 3 line of CPUs has catalyzed the shift towards the AMD side, some die-hard Intel fans have in fact defected. BUT, still if you want a pure gaming machine, Intel's proprietary IPC really has its superiority over AMD's, at least for the time being. And the base and boost clock frequencies still prevails. Tens of side-by-side YouTube video game benchmarks show that highest FPS is dominated by Intel at the same core clock.

Integrating all of you folks positive recommendations, I have therefore drafted up the followings

AMD - B450 platform AMD - ZX570 platform Intel - B365 platform Intel - Z390 platform
Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6-4Ghz 4 C/4T 12nm Ryzen5 3400G 3.7-4.2Ghz 4 C/8T 12nm Core i3-9100F 6M Cache up to 4.20 GHz Core i5-9400F 9M Cache up to 4.10 GHz
Stock Cooler Wraith Spire Stock Cooler Wraith Spire Corsair H60 120mm AIO (2018) Corsair H60 120mm AIO (2018)
Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming Asus ROG Strix B365-F Gaming Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL15 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL15 (Black) 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL15 (Black) 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 CL15 (Black) 2 x 8GB
Corsair RM 750W Corsair RM 850W Corsair RM 750W Corsair RM 750W
Please recommend good NVMe and case

Associate
Soldato
AMD system:
Ryzen 5 3400G
Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming
Wraith Spire stock cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX (Black) 3000Mhz CS15 2 x 8GB (low profile without RGB)

Please recommend NVMe 1GB stick
Corsair RMx 850W
ASUS Dual GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti OC edition 6GB GDDR6
Horribly unbalanced system.
  • No need for a G class CPU as you won't be using the onboard graphics.
  • No need for X570 board because you're not going to use any of the new features.
  • 1660 Ti is a tricky proposition at the minute because of the new AMD cards out and coming.
  • PSU is possibly overkill, but you can never have too much power.

So personally I'd look at MSI B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard. The £140 saved right there can go towards a Ryzen 3600 CPU and a Radeon RX 5700 non-XT. That GPU is a good chunk better than the 1660 Ti. Or if you're content with around 1660 Ti performance, the RX 5500 series are coming soon-ish. They're estimated to be on par with the 1660 non-Ti but will be a chunk of money cheaper.

RAM-wise, for the same money as that Corsair kit you can get TeamGroup T Force C16 3200MHz kit. Looser timings but faster clock if you don't fancy tuning and overclocking the Corsair kit.

As for the NVMe drive, Samsung 970 Evo is a popular choice.

Associate
For nvme, Intel 660p 1tb is selling around 100£ (even less) , it is slower than more modern samsung ones ( but doubt you'll notice any difference in real life) , but it is way way cheaper.

Soldato
For nvme, Intel 660p 1tb is selling around 100£ (even less) , it is slower than more modern samsung ones ( but doubt you'll notice any difference in real life) , but it is way way cheaper.

Na. OcUK don't sell them, but Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe is only just over £100 (£109 iirc). They're an American company, the drives are built with Toshiba 3D NAND (i.e. same as Samsung drives), and they are 3,400MB/s read and 3,000MB/sec write. They come with a 5 year warranty too. Win/win. You can get a 2TB Sabrent Rocket for the price of a 1TB Samsung...

Soldato
Na. OcUK don't sell them, but Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe is only just over £100 (£109 iirc). They're an American company, the drives are built with Toshiba 3D NAND (i.e. same as Samsung drives), and they are 3,400MB/s read and 3,000MB/sec write. They come with a 5 year warranty too. Win/win. You can get a 2TB Sabrent Rocket for the price of a 1TB Samsung...

Cheers! Never heard of them and been looking for an NVME. Even the PCI-e 4.0 ones are very well priced.

New review on Guru 3D for an Addlink one too.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/addlink_s70_1tb_nvme_m_2_ssd_review,19.html

Associate
OP
Is it made in the USA?

Actually this bloke recommended the Sabrent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGjd1GZWdo&t=179s

Faster and cheaper than Samsung

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compa...70-Evo-Plus-NVMe-PCIe-M2-2TB/m844208vsm798635

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry folks,
I started this thread more than a half a month ago. And after much research, consideration, struggling, today is the great day for my build.

I am very pleased today as I have received the Intel Core i5-9600K and the Asus ROG Strix Z390-F motherboard.

I was nearly convinced by the performance of 9350KF when I saw a video showing the gaming benchmark of a 8350K. Then I thought why do I spend $120 more on the 9600K given that overclocking 9350KF to 5,0GHz is possible. Until I watched that video over and over again I noticed that 2 games stutter. I nearly finalized myself on 9350KF more than 8100 or even 9400F.

To save the trouble and hassle, I just then decided to go for the 9600K. Hope my decision is right. It does overclock to 5,0GHz with the proper cooling. It is 6c/6t though is not adequate for games which are coming out next year. But then when I sit down and think deeply, asked myself will I be playing those games? Or are ALL those games suit my expectations in terms of gameplay and the stories. Not 100% probability. A Youtuber called Tech Deals enlightened me with some of their videos. I remember he said "Very high is for actually gaming, whereas Ultra is for screenshots".

As to the reason of choosing Z390 and the ROG Strix version, some might say is that really necessary, that's nearly the top ROG Strix board of Asus. My thinking process is as follows:

Should the 9600K last for 5+ years, then so be it. Should 9700K and even 9900K drop by 10% next year when 10th gen comes out and 9600K fails to work because of some AAA titles handicapping it, then I can still have a board which can cope with the 9700K and 9900K.

Now I want to know though, what sort of overclocked temperature of the 9600K @ 5.0GHz? It's because I need a 120mm AIO or a 240mm AIO for that temperature? Anyone can advise? Thanks!

Associate
"I would even be cautious about the longevity of a 6 core CPU without hyper threading." - quote from overclockers forum.

6 cores will be fine for 2019 gaming and a build with a 9600k will do fine with a cheaper gpu. I am guessing 1080p/1440p is the target. Then the gpu is just down to the games you play. Your 3dmark cpu score will suck but games will be fine. 8700k is another option, with 6 cores and 12 threads but is too expansive. Some games like far cry 5 will be just fine on a 9600k. A 5GHz overclock seems like a reasonable goal. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...b-cpu-cooler-bundle-bu-017-cm.html#p=bIJh3(5_

Another option is Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 AIO CPU Cooler - 240mm which is £30-£50. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cool...-lite-240-aio-cpu-cooler-240mm-hs-07l-cm.html https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8688/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-cpu-review/index6.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/coolermast...coolermaster_masterliquid_ml240_had_a_leak_a/

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt-kraken-x62-aio-water-cooling-unit-280mm-hs-01c-nx.html

Last edited:
Associate
Red Dead Redemption 2 loves CPU's without HT. Those 0.1% lows in the teens. The 9700k hits 6.5fps for 0.1% lows. 9600k/9700k are very bad but the 8700k/9900k are fine. Rage engine games lol. Go to 12:42, the 9600k. So basically the higher you overclock the 9600k the worse its going to get but don't worry, this mess has to get patched at some point. This would not stop me getting the 9600k or any other CPU I wanted. Ports to the PC are notorious for being a bug filled mess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom