QLED vs OLED

Caporegime
I like TV's and don't agree. 4k is more than enough, it's oled and HDR that have been the noticeable improvements over boggo 1080p not the res increase. If streaming sites just increased the bitrate of 1080 content it wouldn't be so bad, but 4k now is plenty resolution for households.

8k just feels like quantity over quality of pixels.

that is the point though they were forced to increase the bit rate because of 4K. so 4K streams look a lot better and near blu ray quality (1080P blu ray). therefore 8K streams would likely look like 4K blu ray quality with the increased bit rates.

therefore 8K is needed if you want quality to improve of streams.

Soldato
some interesting comments/summary on b8/c8/e8 from medium.com
http://www.google.com/search?q=medium.com+lg+b8+c8+e8&btnG=Search&hl=en-GB&gbv=1
think i had seen it via avforums ... now need to understand the technicalities

edit - there are some other good articles on their site https://medium.com/@tvevaluate
now reading the newer oled reviews
also thanks to the HDMI 2.1 ports. For example, the LG C9 supports VRR (variable refresh rate) in order to prevent screen tearing when you play games but it’s not compatible with FreeSync, though.
What the point of VRR if it not compatible with FreeSync :confused::confused::confused::confused:

If it not compatible with FreeSync then what is it compatible with ???

Soldato
What the point of VRR if it not compatible with FreeSync :confused::confused::confused::confused:

If it not compatible with FreeSync then what is it compatible with ???

Different standards but ultimately same pie. The only issue is that you need the GPU to be enabled to do VRR, sort of like how Nvidia enabled Freesync on their own cards. Right now, no cards do this because no cards have HDMI 2.1 so they aren't implementing the standard in that protocol. Hopefully, when cards get HDMI 2.1 then all of them (with HDMI 2.1) will be able to do VRR.

Unfortunately, for Nvidia this means next year at the earliest. For AMD there's a hope in a few months with Navi, but we'll see.

Soldato
Different standards but ultimately same pie. The only issue is that you need the GPU to be enabled to do VRR, sort of like how Nvidia enabled Freesync on their own cards. Right now, no cards do this because no cards have HDMI 2.1 so they aren't implementing the standard in that protocol. Hopefully, when cards get HDMI 2.1 then all of them (with HDMI 2.1) will be able to do VRR.

Unfortunately, for Nvidia this means next year at the earliest. For AMD there's a hope in a few months with Navi, but we'll see.
Am also guessing today GPU's also no support free-sync or G-sync through there HDMI outputs

Soldato
^^ this...

I went from 55" KS8000 QLED -> 65" LG B7 OLED and couldn't be happier.

The reports of brightness not reaching high levels are from older sets. The 2017 models are more than bright enough (brighter than my 50" Panasonic GT30 plasma).

KS8000 to LG C9 here. I too don't understand the brightness complaints. I find the oled to get extremely bright and the colour contrast so much better than the KS8000 that it seems even brighter. If you didn't tell me the KS8000 was brighter in paper I'd never know because the OLED feels brighter to my eyes

Soldato
KS8000 to LG C9 here. I too don't understand the brightness complaints. I find the oled to get extremely bright and the colour contrast so much better than the KS8000 that it seems even brighter. If you didn't tell me the KS8000 was brighter in paper I'd never know because the OLED feels brighter to my eyes

I read an article that point brightness on an oled for example a torch or candle etc, had a higher peak brightness than an LCD/LED based tv due to the way the area is lit, however I can't find the site which is irritating.

Caporegime
I've seen a couple of OLED's now and they don't seem to suffer as much full screen dimming as my old plasma did, with the plasma you could literally see the ABL kick in on adverts and such or in games like Gran Turismo with bright flashy screens before a race.

HDR is more about the contrast between black and white than outright peak brightness that's probably why OLED looks better, as bright as LCD's get they still struggle to preserve black.

Soldato
For what it’s worth, I’ve had a Samsung 65Q85R the past few months and it’s been outstanding (as I’d hope considering the cost!) with little in the way of blooming effects, good deep blacks, fantastic colour, excellent HDR and so on. I game on it on occasion and being able to run 1440p@120hz is fantastic. I really can’t fault it. An OLED wasn’t in the running for me as the room is pretty bright with sunlight prone to shining on the TV screen.

I think the whole OLED/ QLED issue is moot. Both technologies do a fantastic job of presenting images on the screen. Buy what you want and what fits your budget and use.

Soldato
For what it’s worth, I’ve had a Samsung 65Q85R the past few months and it’s been outstanding (as I’d hope considering the cost!) with little in the way of blooming effects, good deep blacks, fantastic colour, excellent HDR and so on. I game on it on occasion and being able to run 1440p@120hz is fantastic. I really can’t fault it. An OLED wasn’t in the running for me as the room is pretty bright with sunlight prone to shining on the TV screen.

I think the whole OLED/ QLED issue is moot. Both technologies do a fantastic job of presenting images on the screen. Buy what you want and what fits your budget and use.

Pretty much like me. Auditioned both, 65" QLED and 65" OLED (B8) in same room and position a week each. Have a very bright room where sun comes in both morning and evenings (only around lunch does it not!) and QLED worked better for most the part. Saw the Pro's of OLED's and absolutely loved them, hence why I cannot wait for Micro LED or brighter OLED's to combine benefits of both but for now getting a fantastic experience on my QLED.

Shrug, personally not got an entrenched opinion, do not care about paper specs etc, look at what works for me in situation I have an enjoy it, simple.

Soldato
since they had fury road on tv last night , that reminded me, that as yet most (superman/fury excepted) of the 4k discs/material are not mastered at high brightness levels anyway, ~4K nits, so perhaps the qled is not fully exploited.
I'd like to see fury on a good system though ... suspect the explosions/fire-balls/desert scenery really exploit the brightness ... does it pose abl problems too.
[learned yesterday from kermode gemini man is a 120/122 high frame rate movie]

Soldato
I've seen a couple of OLED's now and they don't seem to suffer as much full screen dimming as my old plasma did, with the plasma you could literally see the ABL kick in on adverts and such or in games like Gran Turismo with bright flashy screens before a race.

HDR is more about the contrast between black and white than outright peak brightness that's probably why OLED looks better, as bright as LCD's get they still struggle to preserve black.

You can blame Samsung. They started this trend of making images overly bright and its become their main selling feature over competitors. The only issue is that Samsung panels get so bright they lose details - oh well guess majority of their customers don't care about the picture quality losses as long as it's absolute brightness is good for retina burning ;)

Soldato
You can blame Samsung. They started this trend of making images overly bright and its become their main selling feature over competitors. The only issue is that Samsung panels get so bright they lose details - oh well guess majority of their customers don't care about the picture quality losses as long as it's absolute brightness is good for retina burning ;)

Thanks for the slapdown, your right I do not care about my picture, rather having a mini sun in my room :D

But no seriously, not sure where the us vs them has come from and its slightly ridiculous, you own a QLED and your a noob etc (and vice versa from some people). Seems a bit bizarre to me to be frank to have some camp mentality in this field, but hey ho what do I know. I am happy however the likes of LG, Panasonic etc do seem to care about brightness as evidently they have been working on making their panels brighter over the years also, so they also seem to somewhat care, otherwise would not have bothered I imagine. Likewise when Micro-LED that seems to be brighter but with the benefits of OLED, if that is the way the market wants to end up, obviously been some feedback.

Anyways, I will bow out as even after having fun and comparing OLED vs QLED for what worked best in my room (and relaying I defiantly see benefits to both hence why excited to see brighter OLED or Micro-LED) and go burn out my eyes with brightness and awful colours enjoy some gaming :)

Soldato
For the new series of the walking dead (why am I still watching this) either the Nowtv encoding or my Led TV mean their is some posturization in the dark scenes,
perfect with oled ?

Soldato
For the new series of the walking dead (why am I still watching this) either the Nowtv encoding or my Led TV mean their is some posturization in the dark scenes,
perfect with oled ?

Often worse with OLED. Artefacts from all the compression show up worse. If they had a 4k blu ray the OLED would win in the dark scenes easily.

Soldato
... without prejudice

I had thought those oled issues were fixed now, but appears not , but, an external box (or 4K disc) like an apple tv should work around it.
Apparently TWD is shot on smallish 16mm film, so expect a bit more grain, but, is not 4k, as you say.

Soldato
You can’t fix compression artefacts, low bit rates etc, I think more like... LED backlight masks some of the compression artefacts but its still apparent when its really bad, OLED being perfectly black shows it much more.

Back
Top Bottom