What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Not a bad little stash there for £25. You would make you money back at least which is good I guess :)

MSI Socket A looks quite nice :)

DELL Northwood P4 reminds me of my dad's old dimension....that chip was SO bad

Soldato
A retro thing today for me was digging out my dreamcast and the VGA cable ready for when my boss is back Monday

Was at a conference in toronto and video called me one afternoon from a retro games shop he found. Asked on off chance if they had a copy of Alien Front Online as getting a good copy here of an already fairly rare US only title is tough sub £60-70.

Big box copy in store, picked up for £16.....YES!!!

Caporegime
£25 well spent? Eh kinda. Bit annoyed I didn't check the boards before I bought them and just picked up the Socket A for £10 or something.

The Dell will happily take a standard ATX PSU, and recapping the boards is a 1hr job max, so potential for all the boards to be good again. I’d say a decent haul for £25, especially with the ceramic TBird 1400!

Caporegime
Nice work!

I planned to do the mod on my DMG but then was given a backlit SP and didnt even touch the old one again :(
Thought I'd upload a photo of how it now looks:

dmg.jpg

Soldato
Now I've got a potential Socket 478 PC I'm back to eyeing up fast AGP cards (even though a week ago I told myself I wasn't going to:p) Hmmm... Do I spend £30 on a 6800LE; £18.50 on a 6600GT; or £11 on a 5700LE/9250/9550? 6600GT I think (especially as it is advertised as a vanilla 6600!)

Edit- the listing/seller auto accepted my offer of £17. That's pretty good for an AGP 6600GT! Thanks for the heads up on the listing @phatboy

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I've got a potential Socket 478 PC I'm back to eyeing up fast AGP cards (even though a week ago I told myself I wasn't going to:p) Hmmm... Do I spend £30 on a 6800LE; £18.50 on a 6600GT; or £11 on a 5700LE/9250/9550? 6600GT I think (especially as it is advertised as a vanilla 6600!)

Edit- the listing/seller auto accepted my offer of £17. That's pretty good for an AGP 6600GT! Thanks for the heads up on the listing @phatboy

Awesome, glad you managed to get it :)

The 6600GT is faster than a 6800LE as the LE is a pretty crippled card tbh. My 6600GT in my Skt A goes like stink still :)

Associate
Nothing as good as any of you guys but today is my birthday so I got out my DMG and two games I spent hours with as a kid, Tetris and WWF Superstars 2. I had a quick half hour blast, still as good as ever

Soldato
Thought I'd upload a photo of how it now looks:

dmg.jpg

That actually looks amazing!

Thats a good deal on that!

Nothing as good as any of you guys but today is my birthday so I got out my DMG and two games I spent hours with as a kid, Tetris and WWF Superstars 2. I had a quick half hour blast, still as good as ever

Happy birthday fella. I never played the WWF game but the tetris theme still haunts me :D

Soldato
Does anyone know if its possible to get USB drives working on win95? Or even a way it can see my network drives?

The only thing with a CD writer in the house is my mrs laptop and its terrible :D

Other than that I have managed to get the audio from the win95 pc to play through my main pcs monitor so I dont need any extra speakers or headphones which is nice.
Also had a quick blast on the original tomb raider to test out dos sounds (First dos game I could find in my pile)

Soldato
Does anyone know if its possible to get USB drives working on win95? Or even a way it can see my network drives?

The only thing with a CD writer in the house is my mrs laptop and its terrible :D

Other than that I have managed to get the audio from the win95 pc to play through my main pcs monitor so I dont need any extra speakers or headphones which is nice.
Also had a quick blast on the original tomb raider to test out dos sounds (First dos game I could find in my pile)

I don't know why it wouldn't be possible as it is fine in Windows 98 with a special driver. Have a go with nusb36e.exe from here:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-usb-storage-driver.html

I've not had any issues installing it after chipset drivers (or even before actually) but make sure you follow the instructions about removing any USB related drivers first.

Soldato
I don't know why it wouldn't be possible as it is fine in Windows 98 with a special driver. Have a go with nusb36e.exe from here:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-usb-storage-driver.html

I've not had any issues installing it after chipset drivers (or even before actually) but make sure you follow the instructions about removing any USB related drivers first.
I realised that I have that file already from my windows 98 builds. Went and found the disk and then realised that this PC doesnt actually have USB :p

There is a header on the motherboard for it but I have not tested it yet. Dont want to wire it in wrong

Associate
Yesterday I went to EGX and spent a good amount of time in the retro section, pinball machines, light guns and for the first time ever i played on the virtual boy. What an amazing bit of kit, now I'm searching market place for one Haha, they are pretty expensive!

Soldato
Yesterday I went to EGX and spent a good amount of time in the retro section, pinball machines, light guns and for the first time ever i played on the virtual boy. What an amazing bit of kit, now I'm searching market place for one Haha, they are pretty expensive!
Did you see linus tech tips did a video on the Virtual Boy recently. They had 2 of them playing multiplayer

Soldato
spent the weekend in Brum last year and was brilliant, as many said I spent more of my time in the Retro and Indie sections than anything else. it was accessible, had some great 4 player Timesplitters 2 matches and tbh….more fun.

Central London was just a no go for me this year, I really don't like the place if I am honest. Do enough events / meetings for work to do me :(

Soldato
I picked up a few of my retro bits that were at my Dad's house whilst my partner and I moved house. Good to see you again Game Boy Micro and PSP!

The GBM will be particularly useful as I now cycle to work and I try to keep my bag as light as possible. It weighs basically nothing!

Back
Top Bottom