The best songs ever?

Man of Honour
(not as good as Disturbed)
i just heard disturbed's reinterpretation of the sound of silence today for the first time. damn. probably better than the original.
i love the live version david did on conan. i think the only word to describe it is: masterpiece. so haunting.

Associate
No youtube links from me as things tend to vanish, as the gaping holes in the wasteland that is my youtube favourites list will attest, but my additions to some already fine offerings:

1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson
Dimming of the day - Richard Thompson
Nothing More - Sandy Denny
Hallowed be thy name - Iron Maiden
Some Journey - Suzanne Vega (most people prefer the song that follows it on the album)
This womans work - Kate Bush

and not "songs" as they lack lyrics:
Dr Who Theme (original) - composed Ron Grainer / realized and recorded by Delia Derbyshire, appearing as "the BBC Radiophonic Workshop"
Music for 18 musicians Sections V and VII - composed Steve Reich
Logos part I - Tangerine Dream

Permabanned
I think this is true magic. Maybe underrated and not as popular as it deserves to be, but a masterpiece and a highlight of a music era.

Associate
One track that has steadily risen in my estimation since my last post a couple of years back: Heart - Barracuda. It just has such a good distinctive hook, and Ann Wilson's vocals round it off nicely. Just outside my top 20, although I find it hard to reconcile this version of Heart with the pop power ballads they are famous for.

And the song sitting a place higher in my collection: Skid Row - 18 and Life. Sebastien Bach is a great vocalist and the lyrics in this are strong. The delivery of:

Accidents will happen
They all heard Ricky say
He fired his six-shot to the wind
That child blew a child away

Is one of those song 'moments'.

The song sitting at no.15: The Offspring - Dirty Magic. Not a band that I had much regard for until recently, but this particular track has been on rotation for years, after a friend introduced me to it. This is the better, remastered version. I've eaten a bit of humble pie with this band, as 'Ixnay On The Hombre' in particular is a bloody good album (this song is not from it).

And I'll chuck in one more: Fleetwood Mac - I'm So Afraid. Not a band I listen to and I chanced upon this video on YouTube a year or so ago. Atmospheric, the vocals, drums....that solo....it was a 'hit repeat' moment. Sadly the album version isn't in the same league as the live. Track starts 1"05 in.

Last edited:
Associate
Thread title needs changing to 'songs I like' ;)

Reading through I had to check back to the original question - there are a few I would call deviations; given the title "Best Songs Ever". :D

Still, its like being asked the top 10 films - always a great conversation.

I am still procrastinating on my choice. There are some awesome songs here and for me it has been illuminating. If anything, it goes to show how many decent tunes I have missed!

Back
Top Bottom