Keyless entry cars - signal blocker box - do you have one? / would you recommend

Soldato
Just bought myself a seat leon (184bhp diesel excellence model with keyless entry) and wondering if you guys with keyless entry bother to shield signal? I have heard that often theres sufficient signal leakage regardless.

Luckily my car does not have any sports badges etc on it so i hope this means less theft appeal.

As far as keyless entry is concerned, i quite like it! Its unfortunate they are increased risk of crime.
I Loved it in a rental mustang i had in america and good in this too. The batteries both needed replaced for my new cars keys though (wonder how long theyll last? It is 2 years old)

Slightly concerned as its the first nice/newish car ive had!

For the judgmental amongst us, no i do not live in a high crime area :p (although i do drive around (outer) Birmingham motorways for work.

I know generally its audi RS5s and ford focus STs stolen

I was considering something similar to
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Faraday-Blocking-Anti-Theft-Security-Brown/dp/B07YBVJ9RM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=Car+key+box&qid=1571502776&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUTAwQ00zQzlEWFpIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM2Nzk3MjdFR0kwSkFDRExYMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzUwMjI4Q0NKT0ZNTzZOTlQ5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Pics of motah (apologies its just the ones off the website)
B5X4FCz.jpg

GV0Chi5.jpg

7T7vmeD.jpg

yXRqcs0.jpg

Soldato
My car has keyless entry and start and it honestly hasn't occurred to me to use one of these signal blockers. I park either on the street or in a car park behind my house so it won't be obvious which house it belongs to, and I'm not sure how many people will target a 9 year-old Mondeo anyway :p

Your car is insured, just enjoy its convenience features and don't worry about it.

Underboss
personally, i would contact your insurance company and ask if your covered if the keys are stolen from your house or your car is stolen without the keys (signal booster trick) if yes, dont bother buying a signal blocker because they would be coming in the house to steal your keys, so let them take it without the confrontation

Soldato
No, but my car is old and weird so I don't think it would the biggest theft target. I don't even know if Toyota smart key is vulnerable to relay attack. Only precaution I take is not to leave the keys at the front of the house. Faffing around putting keys in tins and all that kind of takes away from the whole point of keyless which is the convenience. At that point you would be better off just having a standard key.
I don't know about other cars but mine has a button to deactivate the keyless system if you care to do so. I feel like I would rather do this and put my keys down normally than feel paranoid.

Soldato
My Focus is keyless and I love it - I am also fortunate my bungalow was built using ash blocks for inner walls - I can't even get a WiFi signal out of room with router in so good luck trying get the key signals - also keep it in a garage.

Soldato
It's not really safe unless you completely block the signal though, nothing wireless is. It all depends on how good an attacker's receiver equipment is.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm read up on the manual and think if i double tap the lock button you can no longer keyless enter. Think I'll just do that in the evenings tbh!

@xdcx is that the same as your understanding? The manuals are written pretty poorly and know you said in my other thread you have an excellence spec

Caporegime
I doubt a Seat Leon diesel is going to be a major theft target so I wouldn’t bother. I’ve never bothered about it with my Focus. It’s a 62 plate Zetec S so also nothing special.

Soldato
Craig

Not sure if you mean double tap the fob or door button.
We always double press button on the handle as our keys are buried in pockets or handbag. We don't have to unlock the car when getting back in - just pull door handle and it opens and also turns alarm off.
I would hate to have to go back to normal fob and door opening.

Soldato
I doubt a Seat Leon diesel is going to be a major theft target so I wouldn’t bother. I’ve never bothered about it with my Focus. It’s a 62 plate Zetec S so also nothing special.

Actually the mundane cars are the biggest targets :/

Many are stolen for parts or to be used in crime. Rare or more exotic stuff is hard to shift and stands out. Loads of Fords, Audis/VWs, Land Rovers get done. They will steal parts off the car while they are parked up as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm read up on the manual and think if i double tap the lock button you can no longer keyless enter. Think I'll just do that in the evenings tbh!

@xdcx is that the same as your understanding? The manuals are written pretty poorly and know you said in my other thread you have an excellence spec

I'm the wrong man to ask. We do have it on our excellence but as I say, we are in the **** end of the North of Scotland and barely lock the house most of the time, let alone the cars! I have no idea how it works regards double pressing, I didn't even realise you could lock it by tapping on the door handle!! :p

Soldato

Typical **** hole attitude on this sub.
The lads just dropped a load of money on a new car which he is happy with. Yet you feel the need to passively tell him it's nothing special and not to worry about it? Absolutely no need for it and contributes nothing to the thread.... (all of which you know, but can't help yourself).

Back
Top Bottom