• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bad time to buy a high-end CPU?

Soldato
I primarily game in VR and have noticed a little bit of bottlenecking with my current CPU (6700K @ 4.6GHz and 2080ti). So I'm thinking a CPU upgrade is on the cards!

However, with the 3900X and the imminent 9900KS release it just seems just a bad time to buy? With the recent X299 price cut announcements will we see the consumer stuff coming down in price too? 3900X seems like a good option but prices are silly at the moment.

Anyone in the same boat and still going to buy or are you waiting it out?

Soldato
I'm on an overclocked 8 core Broadwell-E. It was chosen as a gamer to be a console crusher, to ensure that games destined for both the PC and consoles would run well. My take (again soley from a gaming pov) is that you should wait to see what the next gen consoles have, and then budget to get something better if you want high resolutions and high framerates. We can expect at least one of the upcoming consoles or likely both to be plumping for and AMD based setup. How many cores though? What clocks? Maybe they'll be something a bit unusual like a high clock quad with a lower clocked 8 core.

IMO if you are buying for gaming and your rig is capable of playing current games well, then wait, see what the consoles do first. If you spend a lot of money and then find yourself getting a lower quality experience than you could have got by simply buying a console you'll not feel pleased with your choice. If you use your PC for other tasks as well, then you might have more compelling reasons to upgrade now.

Permabanned
I primarily game in VR and have noticed a little bit of bottlenecking with my current CPU (6700K @ 4.6GHz and 2080ti). So I'm thinking a CPU upgrade is on the cards!

However, with the 3900X and the imminent 9900KS release it just seems just a bad time to buy? With the recent X299 price cut announcements will we see the consumer stuff coming down in price too? 3900X seems like a good option but prices are silly at the moment.

Bad timing, yes. Ryzen 7 3700X is at the price at which i9-9900K should be in the first place, while the former is severely overpriced on its own as well.
Ryzen 9 3900X is a fake mainstream part with real high-end desktop pricing.

I would rather wait for real price drop from intel that could move the things in a slightly more positive direction.

Caporegime
Bad timing, yes. Ryzen 7 3700X is at the price at which i9-9900K should be in the first place, while the former is severely overpriced on its own as well.
Ryzen 9 3900X is a fake mainstream part with real high-end desktop pricing.

I would rather wait for real price drop from intel that could move the things in a slightly more positive direction.

Read this post and thought it could only by 4k8kwtfbbq nonsense. Had to check to be sure though.

Permabanned
Associate
OP, did you buy your gpu brand new? If you did, then i find it funny you complaining about cpu prices. It's like you reside in Virginia Water and complaining about the prices of cars. Sorry to be blunt.

Soldato

You bought a RTX2080Ti and trying to penny pinch on the cheapest parts?
FYI Intel HEDT 10000 series CPUs are more expensive than the AM4 equivelent.

Man of Honour
I don't think it is really either a bad or good time to be buying a CPU - we've had a trickle of technology over the last few years and nothing really earth shattering in the main consumer space in awhile and overdue something revolutionary but on the other hand there are some solid CPUs out that will handle most tasks with ease and aren't likely to be rendered completely obsolete any time soon.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

It's funny how a couple of you think I'm penny pinching. I agree a 2080ti is a little unbalanced hence why I'm looking at higher end CPU's than my i7 was equivalent to back when I got it. Certainly didn't pay £500! But the price isn't the issue here it's the perceived value.

As I said I'm mostly playing VR games which led me to jump into top end GPU territory. It's the first time in generations that I've gone flagship and now that's showing my CPU age.

Intel are clearly behind with their manufacturing processes and have been sitting for too long. Now AMD have shook them up a bit - it seems like buying either side at the start of a potential CPU war, could render whatever CPU I pick a bad choice in the next year. Maybe I'm overthinking it and there won't be a huge jump in (gaming) performance.

Reading up the 9900k's that clock well could be being saved for the 9900ks SKU and the 3900x just isn't quite there with gaming performance. Maybe the answer is a second hand known good clocking 9900k?

Not looking to jump on a new CPU (and motherboard) if the prices are suddenly going to change or a new line up is 6 months away. The current Intel is pretty old and the AMD is a bit new (BIOS quirks and boost inconsistency).

The question is, do I sit and wait or just go for it?

Associate
But we are actually living in a time that is the BEST time to buy HEDT type cpu. For the first time intel is charging 1/2 of what it used to for its HEDT cpus. Or, should I say, intel is finally charging the right amount for its cpu.

Look at AMD, 12 cores for a fraction of the cost of what it used to just a few years ago. It is not like they can't drive a high-end card.

But the thing is, even AMD's 6 core can do it. To balance things out, you want the 8 core - 3700X. Cheap!

BTW, Gen 3 is almost here and even a X370 board will work.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

It's funny how a couple of you think I'm penny pinching. I agree a 2080ti is a little unbalanced hence why I'm looking at higher end CPU's than my i7 was equivalent to back when I got it. Certainly didn't pay £500! But the price isn't the issue here it's the perceived value.

As I said I'm mostly playing VR games which led me to jump into top end GPU territory. It's the first time in generations that I've gone flagship and now that's showing my CPU age.

Intel are clearly behind with their manufacturing processes and have been sitting for too long. Now AMD have shook them up a bit - it seems like buying either side at the start of a potential CPU war, could render whatever CPU I pick a bad choice in the next year. Maybe I'm overthinking it and there won't be a huge jump in (gaming) performance.

Reading up the 9900k's that clock well could be being saved for the 9900ks SKU and the 3900x just isn't quite there with gaming performance. Maybe the answer is a second hand known good clocking 9900k?

Not looking to jump on a new CPU (and motherboard) if the prices are suddenly going to change or a new line up is 6 months away. The current Intel is pretty old and the AMD is a bit new (BIOS quirks and boost inconsistency).

nothing wrong with getting a 2080ti :) and looking for good value in parts you buy.

currently though its a bad time to buy a cpu. at the moment with intel 10 series right around the corner in next 3months worth while waiting for them to be released to see how the land scapes will change. Not saying that the 10 series will be a big leap ver what intel are offering now Though. I cant see there new cpu's having much of a ipc uplift or even extra clock speed but i do expect to see more competive prices vs amd. If intel do indeed bring a 10 core cpu out like all the leaks sujest At same price as 9900k thats 2 extra cores for the same price as it is now which will give you a better cpu then they currently offer aand i think you would be kicking yourself if you brought a 9900k now and tghen have to chanfe all your mobo and cpu again if you want the new stuff:(

as for amd though the rpcing on the 3700x and even the 3800k is good and really good cpu's for the money and since the motherboard have 1 more year before they will be changed you have a cheaper and easier upgrade if you do want there next cpu. Now im a 2080ti user myself i paired it with a 3900x myself i got it on launch day and i highly recomend the cpu. I dont feel like me choosing the 3900x was a bad move and the 1400p 144hz i play my games at. People say that the 9900k is a faster gaming cpu and in older games there right my system is a few fps behind a 9900k. But in the new realse games ive played borderlands 3, greedfall, control and gears 5 my system has acctully been faster then my small group of friends and most have 9900k's.

but i cant recomend a 3900x at current prices. i paid 479.99 for my cppu and i do regreat it and at tht price my advice would be to pull the trigger and get one But at current prices 589.99 i bvelive on ocuk Its over priced and not very good value at all and i wouldnt pay that kind of inrease on a cpu that has a launch price of 499.99 dollors.

but your 6700k isn;t a bad cpu currently and wiating a few months for either 10 core i9 or 3900x tome down in price closer to orignal price or heck even a properly priced 3950x with 16 cores for 49.99 dolors make more sence then current 3900x/9900k prices.

All intel top i7 historically had the pricing around $300-$350. Here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-4770k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html
Here, too: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-4790k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

The 14nm process was introduced in Q2 2015. Now, it's Q4 2019. Please, explain how a 14nm CPU can cost $488-$499.

your point about the i7 is still true its still costs about the same price for a top i7 this generations as well the i7 9700k is in the same price range! so why bring it up?

why is 14nm such a bad thing? does amd 7nm cpu blow intels offering out of the water? is it so much faster then what intel is offering? does it offer a lot of things intel don't? Here is the thing for all amd hype around the 7nm proccess and how many people have jumped on 14nm sucks the amd 3000 isn't a intel killer. the intel 9000 series cpu still hold there own svs intel offering. Amd come in with pricng under intels for a reason ther 3700/3800x are on par cpu wise really in most area's vs the i9 but at a better price point. the 3900x offer more cores and workstation/desktop eprformance at similar price (before price rises) but at the end of the day currently intel 14nm proccess has held its own vs amd.

for the first time in many years we have so much choice in the cpu space and just intel small increase i7 cpu being the top dog and amd being the budget option. You can buya 3700x system and get top perofrmance or you can buy a i9 system and ewek that extra gaiomng performance out of it. wether you go intel or amd you cant go wrong which is nice! but weather or not you can aford the ebst either side has to offeer thats another question:)

Soldato

This is a good point though the bios' have already started to settle down. If I were you I might be inclined to give it a couple months before buying. The 3950X should be out around then which may see the prices of the 3900X normalise.

Permabanned
your point about the i7 is still true its still costs about the same price for a top i7 this generations as well the i7 9700k is in the same price range! so why bring it up?

why is 14nm such a bad thing? does amd 7nm cpu blow intels offering out of the water? is it so much faster then what intel is offering? does it offer a lot of things intel don't? Here is the thing for all amd hype around the 7nm proccess and how many people have jumped on 14nm sucks the amd 3000 isn't a intel killer. the intel 9000 series cpu still hold there own svs intel offering. Amd come in with pricng under intels for a reason ther 3700/3800x are on par cpu wise really in most area's vs the i9 but at a better price point. the 3900x offer more cores and workstation/desktop eprformance at similar price (before price rises) but at the end of the day currently intel 14nm proccess has held its own vs amd.

for the first time in many years we have so much choice in the cpu space and just intel small increase i7 cpu being the top dog and amd being the budget option. You can buya 3700x system and get top perofrmance or you can buy a i9 system and ewek that extra gaiomng performance out of it. wether you go intel or amd you cant go wrong which is nice! but weather or not you can aford the ebst either side has to offeer thats another question:)

i7 9700 with disabled HT is not the top i7.
i7-8700 had 12 threads, that^^^ only has 8 threads. It is a downgrade.
The 14nm production is old and extremely mature by now. Hence it must be cheap.

Associate
The best gaming GPU money can buy deserves the best gaming CPU. Due to prices of the 3900x being wildly inflated and gouged then I'd be seriously considering the 9900k.

I don't care that it's a 14nm re-spin, because performance is performance and these chips perform, my issue with the 9900k is the longevity of the platform.

So tough choice, if the 3900x was launch price and available that's what I'd get, paired with a B450 or x470 board (as the x570 seems totally pointless). Maybe as others have said it's worth waiting, but personally I don't agree, as I'd be wanting to get the best out of my £1000+ GPU and not upgrading the bottleneck just in time for a new nvidia card to arrive.

Soldato
OP
nothing wrong with getting a 2080ti :) and looking for good value in parts you buy.

currently though its a bad time to buy a cpu. **SNIP***

Really good response, pretty much echos my feelings at the moment. There's a little of me which wants to stick Intel because that's what has been at the top end for gaming but I'm seeing Intel taking the p**s with prices. I think if the 3900x was retail price at the moment I'd have already jumped on it.

This is a good point though the bios' have already started to settle down. If I were you I might be inclined to give it a couple months before buying. The 3950X should be out around then which may see the prices of the 3900X normalise.

Sounds like a plan, really not interested in weird BIOS issues. I'd also be keeping my current RAM so compatibility does scare me a bit.

The best gaming GPU money can buy deserves the best gaming CPU. Due to prices of the 3900x being wildly inflated and gouged then I'd be seriously considering the 9900k.

I don't care that it's a 14nm re-spin, because performance is performance and these chips perform, my issue with the 9900k is the longevity of the platform.

So tough choice, if the 3900x was launch price and available that's what I'd get, paired with a B450 or x470 board (as the x570 seems totally pointless). Maybe as others have said it's worth waiting, but personally I don't agree, as I'd be wanting to get the best out of my £1000+ GPU and not upgrading the bottleneck just in time for a new nvidia card to arrive.

Oh man, that's what I keep thinking. In 12 months time we might see a new GPU lineup (And from AMD) which would be much better spent on instead of a new CPU.

It's a really tough decision, probably the toughest in the last 12 years of building :( I guess I'll give it a few more months and decide then. Appreciate all of the responses guys, all very valid points.

Back
Top Bottom