Wiring telephone socket help pls

Associate
Hi there

I moved to a new house and discovered that I have no telephone socket just some wires coming out of the wall (as per picture below). I bought a telephone socket in my local store to connect it myself, but I got stuck. I googled how to diy it and watched some videos on YouTube, but still couldn’t figure it out how to do it. Can anyone advise how to do it looking at the pictures below??

Soldato
In the UK? If so it's very unlikely you've managed to buy the correct socket locally.

If you want to post pictures use Imgur and the BBCode links they'll provide.

Soldato
BT sockets are usually numbers 2 and 5 - cable colour is usually blue and white/blue (twisted) but i have been out of the loop for 20 yrs. :D
Blue to 2 and white/blue to 5 - if you are not in UK then who knows. :eek:

Associate
OP
Thank you both.
I’m based in London.
not sure if this is a BT line.
Picture of the socket is in the link as well.
I’ve got only black, green, white and orange cables. Four separate colours not the twisted one. any advise.

Soldato
As above, if it's a BT line (chances are it is) you need one of their sockets and they should be the ones fitting it.

Is the line even supposed to be connected?

BTW the picture of the back of that MK socket isn't very helpful. It'll have a part number which would at least allow us to identify what you've bought (master, slave, RJ11 vs BT, etc.).

Soldato
I recently moved to a house in London which didn't have a telephone socket but all it took was a call to an ISP who arranged a visit, a couple of weeks later, viola I have a phone socket and Internet.

Why are you attemping to connect this yourself?

Associate
Who are you paying line rental to? Contact them and they'll get Openreach to come round and fit the master socket.
Just fitting something yourself will not get you a working telephone line.

Back
Top Bottom