Google pay or Samsung pay?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There's no spend limit on Google Pay either. £30 limits are at the terminal end (where retailers apply it), not on Gpay/Spay/Apple Pay etc.

Edit*
^That!

Soldato
As far as I know both Apple and Google pay work on the principle that purchases over £30 require additional authentication. i.e. I can pay with my phone locked under £30, but it needs to be unlocked over £30.

I wasn't a bit proponent of contactless payments on mobile at first - but since using it I find it easier most of the time and not having to unlock the phone makes it even easier.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah over £30 you need to unlock the phone. Samsung Pay you don't as it asks you for the Samsung Pay PIN on the lockscreen directly so you still need to authorise the payment if it's over £30.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
There's no £30 limit to Google pay, some retailers limit all contactless to £30 even though both Apple Pay and Google pay will work for larger purchases.
This can annoy me. Why do some retailers limit to £30? Can be frustrating at times.

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yes it greatly annoys me too, I've been in a few retailers that have it limited to £30 and you only find out when you try and make a payment and its declined. I've made a payment of £800 with my phone before.

Almost as annoying as when you have to explain how it works to the person on the till.....

Samsung Pay only makes sense if you're in the USA where you can use MST. IN Europe Google Pay is better supported by banks, and now with dark mode theme, Google Pay is more polished, too.

How do you get to the dark theme? When I press the G-Pay menu, I get activity, participating banks, enter promo code, settings, help & support, send feedback, about. So I press settings, and it gives me general and notifications. Go into general, and I get email updates, Gmail imports, location settings, edit account info. Nothing about themes.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Google's app theming is a fragmented lottery. Every Google app is run by a different team and they don't talk to each other about the material theme ethos Google has been chiming the last few years.

For example, Google Pay uses the system wide theme mode detection which is a single line of code that changes an app theme based on the day or night mode set in Android's system settings. This is great as it saves dev time and extra assets etc. Gmail on the other hand has the option to choose dark or light themes and is not rolled out everywhere yet but where it is, is only available to Android 10 users.

Classic Google. IN Google Pay there is no user setting, it just changes based on your system dark/light theme.

Back
Top Bottom