Spec me a winter jacket

Soldato
Soldato
Associate
Tbf the jack wolfskin coat which was posted by the OP looks the best one mentioned, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've got a Montane outlet near us and I picked up one of their puffa jacket type things for not nearly what they charge retail.

Great bit of kit, really warm and squashes down into a tiny bag. It's lasted a few years too.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Ordered this on Thursday https://www.jack-wolfskin.co.uk/lakota-jacket/1203792-6350002.html.

Been looking for a new winter coat that isn't big and crazy like my Fjallraven parka. The parka is good, very warm, never feel cold but it's big and bulky. More for 0 and below temperatures.

I find Jack Wolfskin to be good. Their items look decently stylish, practical and not too expensive. I've found winter coats from "fashion" brands or regular high street places tend to be rubbish (not warm enough, waterproof, windproof). Best to go for one from a proper outdoors company.
I'm also looking for a new Winter jacket and from all the ones posted in this thread this one is my favourite.. but over £200 for a jacket just seems over the top..hmm..

Associate
I was looking at this jacket recently, just the price puts me off, but I know they are good quality.

I think you linked the medium size, mind telling me what the sleeve length is? Im slim and 6ft tall so struggle with the sleeve length sometimes.

If you feel the cold they are worth every penny, I got mine a week before the beast from the east arrived.

My jacket is XL, although I could have got away with Large, but in XL I can comfortably get a hoodie underneath it if it’s really cold!
I’ll check the sleeve length tomorrow for you.

Soldato
I got a Napapijri overhead style jacket in a sale recently. That's ridiculously warm for how thin it is and is waterproof. They do a non-insulated version for the summer. Can literally have any colour you want too, although depends on what's on sale if you're buying it like me. They're a tad pricey at full price.

Soldato
Soldato
Another brand worth considering is Skogstad, their online store ships to UK. Pretty well priced and good quality. I have a parka from them that I wore in -14 in Iceland and it was cosy warm with just a microfleece and t-shirt underneath. It's at least as well made as a North Face coat I own as well.

Example of one of their insulated jackets: https://www.skogstad.co.uk/storvatnet-light-primaloft-jacket-indian-teal

Soldato
I just want a jacket that doesn't have sleeves with the plasticy shiny material in. Needs to be the wooly fluffy stuff. I sweat even in -0c temps and having shiny sleeves just makes it gross.

Also just cos your XL doesn't mean my head is the size of a large pumpkin. This applies to jackets and hoodies. It's insane some of the space in my hoods. Room for 4.

Soldato
A nice classic Canada Goose Parka, super warm and cosy.

Close to a grand though. I have one that's a different brand but exactly the same style which cost a fraction of that and yet still allows me to wear nowt but a t-shirt underneath it during the coldest days/nights we have in this country and still be extremely warm. Bought it for cold winter nights when out stargazing in the countryside and it hasn't let me down yet.

Back
Top Bottom