GAMING THIS GENERATION ........POOR

Associate
OP
Quite a broad spectrum of titles from aaa to indie games ,really enjoyed the marios and splatoon but i didnt like most of the japanese anime style type of games and I'm not into smash brothers

Like i say I'm quite picky

I did really enjoy mutant zero but after a while it became obvious it ran poor on the switch and in portable the writing and maps /upgrade trees were not scaled to take into account the small screen and they were unreadable so i sold it and repurchased it for the xbox .

Soldato
Generally have to agree with the OP unfortunately. The only outstanding games I can recollect are Zelda: BOTW, Mario Odyssey and Witcher 3. It says a lot that 2 of the top 3 PS4 games on Metacritic are remastered versions of previous gen games.

I'm no industry expert but would guess that a big issue is the cost and time required to develop a game these days in terms of graphics etc. It's been 8 years since the last Elder Scrolls, 6 years since the last GTA, TLOU 2 still isn't out yet etc. As a result we get a lot of sequels from developers whose standards aren't so high and are therefore willing to rush to put a game together, or we get a lot more indie games which can get away with having dated graphics. New IP now becomes an even bigger risk for developers.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Generally have to agree with the OP unfortunately. The only outstanding games I can recollect are Zelda: BOTW, Mario Odyssey and Witcher 3. It says a lot that 2 of the top 3 PS4 games on Metacritic are remastered versions of previous gen games.

I'm no industry expert but would guess that a big issue is the cost and time required to develop a game these days in terms of graphics etc. It's been 8 years since the last Elder Scrolls, 6 years since the last GTA, TLOU 2 still isn't out yet etc. As a result we get a lot of sequels from developers whose standards aren't so high and are therefore willing to rush to put a game together, or we get a lot more indie games which can get away with having dated graphics. New IP now becomes an even bigger risk for developers.

also the lack of quality single player games that dont require endless hours you dont have time for they all seem to be more open world style and not linear like the old days :( look i dont mind a sequel but it seems they just do not seem to improve on the previous game , ones that come to mind are crackdown 3 , halo , wolfenstein and metro ,far cry primal and 5 ,

call of duty even removed single player campaign and brought in blackout and loot crates :(

still there is not a decent 2 player golf game out where you can actually play together instead of following a shadow , and only just have we got a proper arcade racing game in grid at the end of this gen .

Man of Honour
agree with your point that i probably grew up in the wow factor of gaming :)

i might have to look at picking up a second hand ps4 then , what doesnt help is i do not really like open world games that much and when you combine that with remastered games, poor sequels and rinse and repeat games that have not changed and then factor out games that need huge grinding on which i dont have time for it does not leave much left ,
None of the many brilliant "indie" games have any of those issues. Turn your focus away from "AAA" games.

Associate
OP
Has the OP got A PC? If so do a free trial of PS Now to get a feel of Uncharted 4, God Of War, The Last of us. Wont look as nice as PS4 Pro but its a cheaper option.

spent 15 years building gaming pcs but finished with them 3years ago and got a decent lappy which is no use for gaming now lol

Soldato
You should have given up with anything EA Sports related long ago, they've been recycling trash for years, long before this generation started.

I have a wife and 2 kids too, I don't get much time to game so I won't play a crap game just to finish it, if it doesn't click I just move on, is why I prefer physical over digital as can sell on unless getting a bargain for the digital version.

The Switch has been a revelation the last couple of years, not needing to be hooked to the TV, playing in bed, when I'm travelling etc. but having a full fat gaming experience is amazing. Breath of the Wild is one of the greatest games I've ever played, that alone has made this generation worthwhile.

I started playing shorter games like Journey and Firewatch when time got really tight, titles I could get through in a few nights or a week and feel happy about as I actually made it to the end credits but also enjoying some different experiences to the bogstandard AAA collect 'em up stuff.

Caporegime
There have been some amazing games this gen, Bloodborne is the stand out for me and that's no sequel.

Other mentions:
TLOU remastered
Zelda BOTW
UC4
AC Odyssey and Origins
RE7
Far Cry 5
Dying Light
Forza Horizon 3 and 4

Take the point there are a lot on that list that are sequels but that doesn't mean the games aren't great.

TLOU2 will undoubtedly be amazing, im very confident in Naughty Dog to deliver on that.

Associate
OP
There have been some amazing games this gen, Bloodborne is the stand out for me and that's no sequel.

Other mentions:
TLOU remastered =ps4
Zelda BOTW=hated this game
UC4
AC Odyssey and Origins not tried odyssey but not a massive fan of sneak games
RE7
Far Cry 5 did enjoy this and only a few levels left but new dawn looks atrocious:(
Dying Light my fave game this gen especially for the coop online aspect
Forza Horizon 3 and 4 just could not get on with 4 as dont like open world driving games ( going to get grid)

Take the point there are a lot on that list that are sequels but that doesn't mean the games aren't great.

TLOU2 will undoubtedly be amazing, im very confident in Naughty Dog to deliver on that.

As you can see some people just dont like a certain genre of game and mine is im not a big fan of open world games which every one seems to aim for now as you can fill it with loot boxes ,in game purchases etc etc i really tried to get into red dead 2 but it was so slow watching paint dry was more fun .

Soldato
As you can see some people just dont like a certain genre of game and mine is im not a big fan of open world games which every one seems to aim for now as you can fill it with loot boxes ,in game purchases etc etc i really tried to get into red dead 2 but it was so slow watching paint dry was more fun .
I agree - the games I've listed above are not open world, at least not in the usual way . It sounds like we have similar taste in games, and I maintain that this generation has been excellent

Back
Top Bottom