• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone else wanting to upgrade but just can't stomach paying so much for it?

Soldato
But when a console's CPU has way less overheads compared to Windows on a PC more of that power can be used for games.
Maybe but I think that might be more applicable to the GPU (in the PS3/360 days Richard Huddy of ATI was said that on equivalent hardware a console a PC was 60% as efficient as a console as game's could be coded to near metal whereas PC's had to go through DX9 for compatibility reasons).

Granted a console CPU doesn't have half the junk running in the background that a typical PC does but I don't think it's hogging that much power. Also with modern API's and the convergence of hardware and instruction sets x8/GCN the gap isn't what it used to be.

Soldato
So there will be a huge boost with next gen consoles then.

Some make it sound like next gen consoles will not be that impressive, but I actually get the feel for once there will be a very nice leap which will let devs make better games. That is why I am looking forward to the PS5 myself.
It's not just the boost thats important it's what it means for developer's as it allows them to do things in game's that just wasn't possible on the current platforms. We could whole new genres of games this generation as result of this hardware.

Associate
Will more than likely upgrade to play VR titles at some point. Not for pancake gaming.

As for next gen consoles, there is nothing exciting here as these are just SFF PC's with a proprietary OS installed on top.

Soldato
Will more than likely upgrade to play VR titles at some point. Not for pancake gaming.

As for next gen consoles, there is nothing exciting here as these are just SFF PC's with a proprietary OS installed on top.
The PS5 is also clocked more than 1Ghz slower than the 3700x, i think personally there will be some impressive looking games on it but it will still end up like it always has, some games being 30fps and some 60. It will probably just age better.. assuming PC GPUs don't get large performance uplifts, but I'd say they most likely will. If Nvidia's next cards are a good jump like from the x00 to the x000 series, we could be looking at 40-50% perf increase again.

Associate
The PS5 is also clocked more than 1Ghz slower than the 3700x, i think personally there will be some impressive looking games on it but it will still end up like it always has, some games being 30fps and some 60. It will probably just age better.. assuming PC GPUs don't get large performance uplifts, but I'd say they most likely will. If Nvidia's next cards are a good jump like from the x00 to the x000 series, we could be looking at 40-50% perf increase again.

Buying a console you shouldn't be concerned with specs. If you care about performance there is a platform already out there that does it better than any console.

I'm not expecting anything mind blowing from next gen consoles. It's all marketing and hype. Happens every console generation.

Plus the lack of a open digital market on these systems, their closed nature, reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

The only thing going for consoles is first party exclusives. That's it.

It comes down to more than just playing games. The PC is still the superior platform in that regard as you are freed from the limitations mentioned above.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's not just the boost thats important it's what it means for developer's as it allows them to do things in game's that just wasn't possible on the current platforms. We could whole new genres of games this generation as result of this hardware.
That is what I was trying to say. But did not convey it well as it was just before falling asleep :D

Can’t wait for the PS5. Apart from Nintendo consoles I have not had a console since the 360 I think, as I just use my PC. But PS5 and OLED will go very nicely together and I can catch up on all the exclusives. Will be picking up all the PS4 exclusives for peanuts too :)

I never go digital on consoles. Always love going physical. For the most part each game costs me £5-£10 to play. What I do is buy, complete, sell on. I never keep games. Only types I may keep longer are fighting games and those I just wait 6-12 months and pick them up once they are less than half price so most the depreciation is done.

The only platform I do digital is on Steam.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That is what I was trying to say. But did not convey it well as it was just before falling asleep :D

Can’t wait for the PS5. Apart from Nintendo consoles I have not had a console since the 360 I think, as I just use my PC. But PS5 and OLED will go very nicely together and I can catch up on all the exclusives. Will be picking up all the PS4 exclusives for peanuts too :)

I never go digital on consoles. Always love going physical. For the most part each game costs me £5-£10 to play. What I do is buy, complete, sell on. I never keep games. Only types I may keep longer are fighting games and those I just wait 6-12 months and pick them up once they are less than half price so most the depreciation is done.

The only platform I do digital is on Steam.
I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see two different console versions on next gen. one with a much larger hard drive, maybe 2TB and no disc drive, maybe paired with a 250Gb SSD of some sort and a disc enabled version with maybe a 1TB SSD or similar so those that prefer digital have the space but those who prefer discs can still buy them.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see two different console versions on next gen. one with a much larger hard drive, maybe 2TB and no disc drive, maybe paired with a 250Gb SSD of some sort and a disc enabled version with maybe a 1TB SSD or similar so those that prefer digital have the space but those who prefer discs can still buy them.
Could be. All I know is I will never go digital on a console. I never keep consoles and games. I play and sell on when done. Going digital means money down the drain. The only reason I do not see it that way on pc is because I will always have a pc and will always have access to those games on steam.

Also I can get games for £5-£10 on pc which is what I typically lose buying and selling console games I play, so works out about the same. Only games on pc I buy day 1 full price are the devs and franchises I want to support, like I will be with Cyberpunk 2077.

Soldato
Could be. All I know is I will never go digital on a console. I never keep consoles and games. I play and sell on when done. Going digital means money down the drain. The only reason I do not see it that way on pc is because I will always have a pc and will always have access to those games on steam.

Also I can get games for £5-£10 on pc which is what I typically lose buying and selling console games I play, so works out about the same. Only games on pc I buy day 1 full price are the devs and franchises I want to support, like I will be with Cyberpunk 2077.

On console I rent most games and only buy digital when I know it's a game I will play for a long time. Saves me a lot of money.

Soldato
It's called Boomerang rentals. My package is £15 a month for 2 games at a time. Can keep as long as you want. Its £11 for 1 game. My whole family bar me use consoles so am renting all the time. Some months getting £250 of games. Can cancel at any point as well so if not playing just cancel.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's called Boomerang rentals. My package is £15 a month for 2 games at a time. Can keep as long as you want. Its £11 for 1 game. My whole family bar me use consoles so am renting all the time. Some months getting £250 of games. Can cancel at any point as well so if not playing just cancel.
Interesting. Something to consider. The alternative is just be 6-12 months behind the latest releases and get them at bargain bin prices. I think I like the idea of not feeling rushed to complete a game which I might if I went down the rental route.

Though there are times when I have more spare time and if I want to play the latest games I could use the service for 1 month it might be cheaper than buying and selling on. Thanks for letting me know.

Soldato
Interesting. Something to consider. The alternative is just be 6-12 months behind the latest releases and get them at bargain bin prices. I think I like the idea of not feeling rushed to complete a game which I might if I went down the rental route.

Though there are times when I have more spare time and if I want to play the latest games I could use the service for 1 month it might be cheaper than buying and selling on. Thanks for letting me know.

No probs mate.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yea I think this site is the only one around that does it. Been using them a few years now.
The value package seems decent. £3.99 and you keep the game for a month. I would be happy with that. Do they include pre-paid return postage?

I wonder what happens if things get lost in the post? Is there a way to prove you posted it so they can make a claim from the post office or example?

https://www.boomerangrentals.co.uk/membership_packages_v6.php

Soldato
The value package seems decent. £3.99 and you keep the game for a month. I would be happy with that. Do they include pre-paid return postage?

I wonder what happens if things get lost in the post? Is there a way to prove you posted it so they can make a claim from the post office or example?

https://www.boomerangrentals.co.uk/membership_packages_v6.php

Yea its prepaid return. Never had a problem but could always do a recorded delivery for piece of mind if needed.

Back
Top Bottom