Artex on wall removal

Associate
Looking at removing the Artex on the walls soon in the lounge stairs and hallway, Not yet done any asbestos test but wondering what best way to remove or cover it all up?

It isn't the best of jobs as there are some real thicker bits and areas that have been missed all together. Looks like it been applied directly on top of the paint that was on the plasterboard.

Soldato
Will that not damage the plasterboard? Have to give it a try on a wall I think.
It takes a lot of steam to damage plaster board, lightly score the artex first them steam it will start to peel all by its self.

Thanks was worried it be whole re-plaster.

Speak to a plasterer very few will advise skimming over without boarding first, because the moisture will pull the artex from the wall.

Associate
It takes a lot of steam to damage plaster board, lightly score the artex first them steam it will start to peel all by its self.

Speak to a plasterer very few will advise skimming over without boarding first, because the moisture will pull the artex from the wall.

Exactly that, we had an artex wall going up the stairs and just got it boarded over first (at recommendation of the plasterer we used).

Associate
OP

Thanks I give the steamer ago on a wall I want to remove and see what it looks like after with some paint on. Have no issue with getting a plasterer in but funds are alittle low and job list isn't getting any smaller.

Soldato
Thanks was worried it be whole re-plaster.

Depends o condition of the artex, as long as it isn’t blown or peeling it can be sealed and skimmed. Seen it done to many ceilings etc in houses. The reason people say skimming will fail is if the wall hasn’t been suitably prepared or the existing plaster is in poor condition and the plasterer skimmed it anyway.

Associate
There is a product that you paste on , leave to work for a while then scrape the artex off back to the plaster layer without affecting the plaster. Think like how nitromors works.

It's very good. Quite expensive , but worked very well for me. Can't remeberits name, but there is a tub of it at the house and I'll look it out to find the name.

It's called x-tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
When I purchased my current house 7yrs ago it was 90% artex, walls, ceilings everywhere.
I had a plasterer take a look and basically I spent a few days knocking off all the very hard sharp bits which were standing very proud.
I then had the walls skimmed over and the ceilings re boarded and skimmed.
7yrs later no issues at all.

Associate
OP
There is a product that you paste on , leave to work for a while then scrape the artex off back to the plaster layer without affecting the plaster. Think like how nitromors works.

It's very good. Quite expensive , but worked very well for me. Can't remeberits name, but there is a tub of it at the house and I'll look it out to find the name.

It's called x-tex

Thanks, I have seen this around but wasnt sure if it would work that well. How much of a wall can you do with a tub ?

When I purchased my current house 7yrs ago it was 90% artex, walls, ceilings everywhere.
I had a plasterer take a look and basically I spent a few days knocking off all the very hard sharp bits which were standing very proud.
I then had the walls skimmed over and the ceilings re boarded and skimmed.
7yrs later no issues at all.

Starting to think this is the way forward and have save up for a year or so.

Associate
OP
Thought I do some tests with x-tex as I am off work this week. Did 2 coats 1 hour each time and it work better than I was expecting. Going to get the paint out tomorrow and see how it looks after. I am still undecided yet if all the effort is worth the end results.

Associate
The other thing to consider is that people often covered walls with artex to cover up poor walls, so you may have a lot of work to do in places if you want paint as your going to go back to iffy walls.

This.

Also +1 on the skimming …. didn't have any on the walls but did have several ceilings skimmed. 4 years down the line no issues.

Associate
OP
The other thing to consider is that people often covered walls with artex to cover up poor walls, so you may have a lot of work to do in places if you want paint as your going to go back to iffy walls.

According to a neighbour the first owner of the property added the artex as she liked it, most of the walls have air vents to fill in as well from the old warm air heating unit. With the amount that I need to do it looks like skimming is they way to do it, Just got to wait a year to borrow the money off the mortgage and do all of the house jobs.

Associate
According to a neighbour the first owner of the property added the artex as she liked it, most of the walls have air vents to fill in as well from the old warm air heating unit. With the amount that I need to do it looks like skimming is they way to do it, Just got to wait a year to borrow the money off the mortgage and do all of the house jobs.

Does your local college run plastering courses? If you had the time you could learn to do it yourself. I know someone who done a couple of evenings a week for plastering.

Back
Top Bottom