Leg broken in 12 places and laid up in hozzy!

Soldato
OP
To be honest I've only looked at the pictures released to the public, I've not looked at the cctv. I've no intention of, I don't want to see what happened or be reminded of it.

Life can be ***** but it can also be great, I'm trying to look for the silver lining, I get to see my baby girl everyday for example.

Soldato
To be honest I've only looked at the pictures released to the public, I've not looked at the cctv. I've no intention of, I don't want to see what happened or be reminded of it.

Life can be ***** but it can also be great, I'm trying to look for the silver lining, I get to see my baby girl everyday for example.

Do you have a link to the pictures released to the public? Small world never know someone on here might be able to identify, if not spread the word.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just looking for somewhere to vent as staring at the same 4 dirty white walls all day everyday is getting a bit much.

As some of you know I work as a doorman and have done for roughly 18 years, well on fathers day my colleague and I were savagely attacked by a group of 6. While trying to save my colleague from being bottled I was pulled down and my leg kicked from the side. My Tibia shattered in 12 places obliterating my lower knee.

I've never felt pain like it. Due to my other injuries etc it took till the following Saturday also my 35th birthday to operate. There were some complications so I ended up in high dependecy for a few days. There's a lot of metal work in there, ive been told I'll need knee replacements periodically and will have arthritis for the rest of my life.

Now I'm stuck in here, with no idea when I'll be getting out. The important thing is I will be getting out though, things could have been much worse.

Police are confident that they will be able to prosecute, they have dna, finger prints and crystal clear pictures of all 6.

I guess I'm still shock over it all but am making slow progress. I know I'm not going to be able to return to work for some time, my plans are not to return at all. This has really opened my eyes.

crap. Good on you for helping a friend but that is brutal. I hope your recovery goes as well as can be hoped for and that the people involved get a taste of their own medicine when they get caught.

edit ignore.. sorry way way late as usual.

so sorry things are not going so well on the recovery.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No idea on the accents sorry, they didn't do much talking and don't recall their accents being easily guessed like with the Irish or welsh. I do know the two brothers they caught are not from Liverpool though. That's been confirmed by the detective.

Soldato
Fair enough. You've got enough on your plate without worrying about the investigation anyway.

Sorry to hear you've still got it so tough but well done for coping so well. "If you're going through hell, take plenty of sausages". All the best.

Soldato
OP
So, I have an update I thought I'd share in regards to what's going on with my leg.

They've basically found a section of bone which is infected, no surprise there really I've been suspecting that for some time. Frustratingly though they're not sure how to proceed so are passing it on to experts to discuss at panel. I've actually had my appointment date for the 6th March come through so am hoping I'll know more then.

The problem being they usually treat this stuff by removing the metal work, removing the infected bone area and then putting you on 6-8 weeks worth of powerful IV antibiotics in hospital while you recover. But it's such a small area of infection they don't know if there is a more suitable approach. One way or another even if I have to go in for the full thing I'm very hopeful that it will mean while a bit of a set back in the short term I can actually start moving forward afterwards.

Mental health wise I'm not doing the greatest, have actually had a few nightmares about it recently and am now on beta blockers for help with panic attacks I've been having. They're helping but I could use something stronger.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I have read your earlier post now and kept away since; I can't imagine how miserable it must all be.
Good luck, stay STRONG!
Seriously, all the very best.

Soldato
So, I have an update I thought I'd share in regards to what's going on with my leg.

They've basically found a section of bone which is infected, no surprise there really I've been suspecting that for some time. Frustratingly though they're not sure how to proceed so are passing it on to experts to discuss at panel. I've actually had my appointment date for the 6th March come through so am hoping I'll know more then.

The problem being they usually treat this stuff by removing the metal work, removing the infected bone and then putting you on 6-8 weeks worth of powerful IV antibiotics in hospital while you recover. But it's such a small area of infection they don't know if there is a more suitable approach. One way or another even if I have to go in for the full thing I'm very hopeful that it will mean while a bit of a set back in the short term I can actually start moving forward afterwards.

Mental health wise I'm not doing the greatest, have actually had a few nightmares about it recently and am now on beta blockers for help with panic attacks I've been having. They're helping but I could use something stronger.

Jesus sounds rough as hell mate. What are you doing to pass time? I haven't read the whole thread recently so aren't sure where you get upto at the moment?

Man of Honour

The problem being they usually treat this stuff by removing the metal work, removing the infected bone and then putting you on 6-8 weeks worth of powerful IV antibiotics in hospital while you recover. But it's such a small area of infection they don't know if there is a more suitable approach. One way or another even if I have to go in for the full thing I'm very hopeful that it will mean while a bit of a set back in the short term I can actually start moving forward afterwards.

Sorry to hear this news. Hope they come up with an effective solution.

Man of Honour

Jesus mate. Sorry to hear it. If I were closer I'd bring a few beers around. Man hug.

Soldato
OP
At the moment it's mostly gaming either on the xbox or PC depending on how long I can sit at the PC for and netflix which gets a bit boring, the amount of shows and films I've blown through but it beats the hell out of being stuck in hospital, I even try to get out a bit more now but I have to plan around it. I know for example that even hobbling around a charity shop or something is going to cause massive swelling and be painful but I still need to get out. My missus is incredibly supportive and the kids, particularly the 2 year old have really kept me going. I know it's not easy on my missus but she doesn't complain and doesn't make me feel any less for being in this position.

@Hades Thanks pal but I've been going on with problems since the attack that any news is good news at this point. I keep thinking about my plans for when I am back on my feet like getting a dog again which I've wanted for years and being able to go for a walk again even if it takes me forever now.

It's odd how most of the time I feel fine but then my chest will go tight or I'll lay awake most of the night not able to think about anything else.

Soldato
Have you tried any of the mindfullness apps? They can be good for relaxing in the evening.
What sort of pain relief are you getting? I’m having issues with my knee since it was operated on last July and I’m having issues getting meds off the docs, almost at the point where I’m going to need to get back on the crutches to stop the pain from walking.

Keep your chin up mate there is light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes you just can’t see it because of the bends..

Associate
Hi Vidar,

I had an infection of the knee but fortunately with mine I don’t think it went into the bone as as you say it makes a treatment a bit longer. Speak to them about iv antibiotics in the community if possible. It’s much better than hospital and with a mid/centre line in not so bad. They can usually give you a morning or afternoon slot so still have some freedom during it. Mine involved an hours treatment each day for 4 weeks. Showering etc can be a pain as need to keep it dry if possible but much better than being in hospital as home cooked food is and order of magnitude better and quality of sleep at home is also better. Also if you can elevate leg when sleeping on a pillow then it will greatly help with swelling

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Have you tried any of the mindfullness apps? They can be good for relaxing in the evening.
What sort of pain relief are you getting? I’m having issues with my knee since it was operated on last July and I’m having issues getting meds off the docs, almost at the point where I’m going to need to get back on the crutches to stop the pain from walking.

Keep your chin up mate there is light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes you just can’t see it because of the bends..

I've never tried any minfullness apps but guess I could give those a shot. I'm on quite a hefty dose of Co-drydamol on a as and when needed basis but to be honest it doesn't really help much. There are much stronger ones I could take but to be honest I don't want anything that could see me getting dependent on again.

Hi Vidar,

I had an infection of the knee but fortunately with mine I don’t think it went into the bone as as you say it makes a treatment a bit longer. Speak to them about iv antibiotics in the community if possible. It’s much better than hospital and with a mid/centre line in not so bad. They can usually give you a morning or afternoon slot so still have some freedom during it. Mine involved an hours treatment each day for 4 weeks. Showering etc can be a pain as need to keep it dry if possible but much better than being in hospital as home cooked food is and order of magnitude better and quality of sleep at home is also better. Also if you can elevate leg when sleeping on a pillow then it will greatly help with swelling

I had no idea that was even an option to be honest but something I'll definitely be discussing with them as it's the thought of being stuck in hospital again that is really making me nervous.

Oh dear, but finding it is the first step to curing it. Get well soon!

Do you use a wheelchair?

I'm mostly on my crutches and can manage short distances even if it does end up wrecking me, anything further and yes I still have to rely on my wheelchair. Problem is it's pretty useless, it was given to me as a temporary measure while I waited for something more suitable. It's twice the size it needs to be, two wide to go through single doorways, weighs an absolute ton as it's made out of steel to support the up to 60 stone people it's made for which I'm not and doesn't have grips for me to self propel. Was given to me cause of my height but now it appears I'm stuck with the damn thing.

Back
Top Bottom