• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Soldato
OP
That's not a bad idea. I've got some Thermal Grizzly paste lying about, can I use that or does it have to be a specific one especially designed for GPUs?
I used some ancient zaward stuff I found in a box in my garage, so it can't be worse than that. As long as it isn't conductive you're grand

Soldato
OP
Yeah man, I was thinking that I've never owned a gpu long enough that it was worth repasting it. I think I would have upgraded long ago just because of the itch if I could have had something worthwhile for less than £400, but those days are just long gone. So now I just have to wait for the £1k gpus to become £700 when the new £1300 gpus come out. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeah man, I was thinking that I've never owned a gpu long enough that it was worth repasting it. I think I would have upgraded long ago just because of the itch if I could have had something worthwhile for less than £400, but those days are just long gone. So now I just have to wait for the £1k gpus to become £700 when the new £1300 gpus come out. :rolleyes:

Haha, that was my thinking as well. Grab a 2080ti bargain :D

Soldato
Running 2 x 980ti poseidon's on water in sli and tbh sli is dead but still runs the games i play just fine. Waiting to see what 2020 brings as i can't see myself forking out stupid money for a 2080ti.... hopefully 2020 will be more interesting and prices come down abit... there's hoping.

Associate
Still rocking my GTX980ti. Bought it for like £350 new as couldn't justify buying the GTX1080 for what i thought was only slightly more performance for much higher cost. When the GTX1080ti came out i was tempted to get it but my GTX980ti held up well so i thought id wait for the RTX2080ti to come out at like £700 and then buy a reduced priced GTX1080ti for a similar £350-£400. Epic fail!

Refuse to pay the silly prices nvidia charging out of principal. Im not sure when ill get a chance to upgrade now given nvidia ridiculous pricing scheme now.

Soldato
I think this is the problem for a lot of people to be honest
Still rocking my GTX980ti. Bought it for like £350 new as couldn't justify buying the GTX1080 for what i thought was only slightly more performance for much higher cost. When the GTX1080ti came out i was tempted to get it but my GTX980ti held up well so i thought id wait for the RTX2080ti to come out at like £700 and then buy a reduced priced GTX1080ti for a similar £350-£400. Epic fail!

Refuse to pay the silly prices nvidia charging out of principal. Im not sure when ill get a chance to upgrade now given nvidia ridiculous pricing scheme now.
I suppose the 1080ti is a good option with it being around twice as fast... but prices for those are still a little expensive. Averaging around £400+ for a secondhand card?

Associate
I bought a 2070 Super and sold my 980ti in Sli and don't regret it at all runs everything i want it to and works amazingly well with my X34 at 3440x1400 very happy with it.

Soldato
I just cranked the power limit, didn't touch the voltage at all. I'm not sure what difference it would actually make to be honest but given my temps, probably won't find out.
Might give it another bash tonight. Did a tiny overclock last night just to test by cranking the core by +20 and memory by +200 and i gained around 6-7fps. No voltage change, just cranked up the power limit and temp max. Temps settled around 48c so plenty of headroom there.

Associate
This has been on my mind for ages to be honest, what's the rest of your spec?

5930k @ 4.4
32gb ram
msi gaming 7 x99

I bought a refrence board direct fron Nvidia and boost to 2040 on core and 8000 on mem and doesn't go over 60c really great card and getting over 2080's fps in apex and the division 2 that i play.

Back
Top Bottom