Anyone been on the ketogenic diet long term?

img

img

Associate
Oh. Guess I didn't eat pizza on Saturday then :(

Ground almonds, grated mozzarella, cream cheese and egg properly combined makes a lovely (if a little greasy) base.

nope you ate a pizza substitute but I am glad it worked for you. I tried that and I hate cauliflower substitute that every seems to want to use for rice is now one of my top worse things.

Caporegime
I've been thinking about this a lot the past twenty four hours. I'm almost ready to give up. Not to go back to my old habits of ready meals and chocolate, crisps, cakes, sweets but to just do my own healthy eating. Still not going to do rice, bread, potatoes or pasta but I'm not going to sit there working out calories, macros or keeping carbs under 20g. It's just too much of a pain in the arse. I'll up it to the 50g carb mark and see what happens. That means I can still enjoy my morning banana/avocado/peanut butter smoothie after exercise instead of eating eggs day after day, a nice salad or soup at dinner time and then a meat/fish and two veg combo for tea without eating a boat load of fats. That's got to be all right surely.

Caporegime
I've been thinking about this a lot the past twenty four hours. I'm almost ready to give up. Not to go back to my old habits of ready meals and chocolate, crisps, cakes, sweets but to just do my own healthy eating. Still not going to do rice, bread, potatoes or pasta but I'm not going to sit there working out calories, macros or keeping carbs under 20g. It's just too much of a pain in the arse. I'll up it to the 50g carb mark and see what happens. That means I can still enjoy my morning banana/avocado/peanut butter smoothie after exercise instead of eating eggs day after day, a nice salad or soup at dinner time and then a meat/fish and two veg combo for tea without eating a boat load of fats. That's got to be all right surely.

Why avoid rice, potatoes and pasta though if you're not doing keto anymore and are just going to eat healthily?

The ketosis thing doesn't apply anymore and carbs aren't a bad thing - there seems to be a trend, as a result of these diets, in thinking that carbohydrates are bad for some reason.

You could take a look at say Mediterranean style diets though they eat pasta.

Pet Northerner
Don
I've done keto with my other half since July (although the past 2 weeks we've fallen off the wagon due but are back on again). I'm down 2 stone and she is down almost 3.

The first few days are hard - but long term I've found a nice groove of things to eat to keep me full. Every Sat becomes a OMAD day and I indulge a fathead pizza

Soldato
I found the keto food disgusting. I tried for about a week and my house REEKED of fat. I guess I was being very strict and trying to stay under 20g of carbs, and some very high fat level, but the cooked grossed me out too much. I'm also lactose intolerant so no cheese - eating cheese would make it a whole lot easier I think.

Soldato
I've also had a doctor tell me that keto isn't healthy in the long run after I've expressed interest in it. Googled and my takeaway was that the benefits are proven anecdotally and by a handful of studies, but research is lacking for long-term effects.

If there isn't much research I wonder what the doctor's position is based on.

Soldato
Keto has been around for a lot longer than people think, it just went under the famous guise of the "Atkins Diet" - although carbs were slightly elevated under the Atkins protocol, minimal amounts to begin with which ensured ketosis, then slowly ramped up when coming closer to goal weight.

Caporegime
I think I've botched it up this week. I seem to have become addicted to coffee with double cream in it. Be interesting to see what happens on Monday's weigh in. I expect to have put on a kilo. :mad:

Caporegime
I think I've botched it up this week. I seem to have become addicted to coffee with double cream in it. Be interesting to see what happens on Monday's weigh in. I expect to have put on a kilo. :mad:

Do you weigh yourself at the same time/same amount of water consumed etc.. ? I don't think a + or - a kilo is too relevant or worth worrying about... your body weight varies during the day anyway.

Just ease off the double cream next week and don't worry about it... also you don't need to wait till Monday to weigh yourself - might as well do it say every morning and get a bunch of readings.

Back
Top Bottom