• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti owners: what's in your basket?

Soldato
Might give it another bash tonight. Did a tiny overclock last night just to test by cranking the core by +20 and memory by +200 and i gained around 6-7fps. No voltage change, just cranked up the power limit and temp max. Temps settled around 48c so plenty of headroom there.

I'm actually getting 144fps more frequently in destiny 2 now than previously and that image I posted above was 2/3hrs gaming with the overclock applied. Another reason why I'm not sure upgrading is required

5930k @ 4.4
32gb ram
msi gaming 7 x99

I bought a refrence board direct fron Nvidia and boost to 2040 on core and 8000 on mem and doesn't go over 60c really great card and getting over 2080's fps in apex and the division 2 that i play.

Ahh OK. Was only wondering for bottleneck purposes

Soldato
I'm actually getting 144fps more frequently in destiny 2 now than previously and that image I posted above was 2/3hrs gaming with the overclock applied. Another reason why I'm not sure upgrading is required

Ahh OK. Was only wondering for bottleneck purposes
Are you running single or dual cards?

On wildlands i was barely touching 60fps on a mix of high/ultra settings. Dual cards i can max out the settings with around 100fps.

Not a direct comparison but you seem to get very high fps if its a single card.

Associate
Single card, wouldn't touch sli again....ever!!

Yeah same i only had my 2nd 980ti for 2 months before i had enough the amount of issues with games like Apex with graphic flickering etc was a nightmare, games that worked out the box like overwatch and such worked great but wasn't a good offset compared to what im using now that just works without messing around with Nvidia inspector.

Soldato
Yeah same i only had my 2nd 980ti for 2 months before i had enough the amount of issues with games like Apex with graphic flickering etc was a nightmare, games that worked out the box like overwatch and such worked great but wasn't a good offset compared to what im using now that just works without messing around with Nvidia inspector.
Single card, wouldn't touch sli again....ever!!

Really wish there was a straight forward upgrade path.

Think the 2070 super is viable but looking at how it performs against the 1080ti.. there isn’t much in it...

Soldato
Is it worth parting with £500 though? I would be more tempted if it was the 2080S at this price point.

We'll, I'm not entirely sure to be honest. My 980ti is 4 years old now and lagging behind a little. The difference between the 2070s and 2080s seems marginal, which makes the 2070s more enticing. The only other alternative would be the 5700xt

Associate
Yeah i struggled wanting to spend £500 and more so i waited a few weeks till Nvidia Refrence came in stock as they keep the better chips back for there own cards it hits over 2080 base fps and i like the look of the metal cooler on it rather than a cheaper plastic one. plus you get 3 years warrenty direct with them.

Soldato
Does adjusting voltage even do anything for these cards or is it just best to crank up the power limit and let the card add voltage for what it needs?

It does increase the voltage, however, obviously the temps as well.

I did test my card when I got and found (for me) it's best to leave that alone and just max the power limit and up the core and memory a tad.

I found the difference to be only a few fps, not worth the effort.

I'd sooner have nice low temps (my card doesn't exceed 65C ever, even on the hottest of days with 100% usage).

A custom fan curves helps with that, I have my fan set to temperature +10%, so at 50c the fan will be at 60%, etc.

The cooling system on this card is so good, it's still quiet, just a whoosh, even at 75%, don't notice it when gaming.

Caporegime
I’m the opposite, I’ve got a Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme which I hardly use (lack of time rather than loss of interest).

I’ve got a mate who’s offered me his 980ti plus £300, if it wasn’t a blower design card I’d probably do it. :o

Associate
I’m the opposite, I’ve got a Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme which I hardly use (lack of time rather than loss of interest).

I’ve got a mate who’s offered me his 980ti plus £300, if it wasn’t a blower design card I’d probably do it. :o

Seems like you made a mistake picking it up in the first place.....

Caporegime
Seems like you made a mistake picking it up in the first place.....
Nah, got it for a very good price tbh and when I do get to use it, it’s great.

My circumstances have changed though and I now don’t really have time for gaming so I’m thinking of selling it on whilst it’s still got a relatively high value and bag something cheaper for as & when I do get an hour free for some game time.

If I can get a 980ti or similar and have ~ £300 left in my pocket after selling the 1080ti I’d not be out of pocket whatsoever which isn’t a mistake in my mind. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've been running 2x 980ti in SLI for the last few years, but I've recently had issues with my PSU so had to drop back to using a single card whilst it goes through an RMA. My plan was always to try and replace them in the future with a single, better card. A single card still performs well and it's nice to play without all the issues that SLI brings, I do have the itch at the moment though as SLI is just a waste for a lot of titles these days.

I'd love to go to a single 2080ti, but every time I start comparing prices I convince myself not take the plunge, they're just too much at the moment. I looked at my old order for the 980tis back a few years ago and I paid the same amount for both of them as you would have to pay for a 2080ti today. It's mental how much the prices have increased.

A second hand 1080ti is also tempting, but I'm not sure I want to go down that route at the moment. I'll probably stick it out a while longer and see what happens.

Nailed it.

I was in exactly the same boat. Crazy to think I built my rig something like 5 years ago and was running >60FPS at 4K. I flogged the lot in anticipation of some 4K 120hz goodness and neither the cards or the displays have come good.

Personally i'm caught between waiting for the 3X80 or Ti series and considering a HDMI 2.1 tv, or; buying a 60FPS 1080P card and wait it out for another couple years for the tech to mature.

Soldato
Nailed it.

I was in exactly the same boat. Crazy to think I built my rig something like 5 years ago and was running >60FPS at 4K. I flogged the lot in anticipation of some 4K 120hz goodness and neither the cards or the displays have come good.

Personally i'm caught between waiting for the 3X80 or Ti series and considering a HDMI 2.1 tv, or; buying a 60FPS 1080P card and wait it out for another couple years for the tech to mature.

If this gens TI pricing is anything to go by then it's gonna suck hard to have to pay over £1k for a decent upgrade! Saying that though, it would hopefully make the current 2080ti more affordable.

I never envisioned paying something like £1200 on release for a TI card, Titan's and Titan X's i can understand with it being geared towards other workloads other than gaming but for something that's purely for gaming... its madness.

Back
Top Bottom