Road Cycling

Soldato
Also check your frame as I know that some of the newer wider rims won't fit very well with older frames and chunkier tyres. Ideally you'd be wanting to run 25mm tyres.

Soldato
If you want Ironman go faster wheels it’s really hard to look beyond a set of Hed Jet 6+, you should be able to get a secondhand set within budget.
A really good option if SH doesn't bother you but I'd always be cautious with rim braked and really want to trust the seller/physically see them first. Any options of asking around local clubs/friends/groups for someone with some aero wheels to sell?

the difference between any decent aero wheel and the absolute best for any given depth is so marginal that unless you're chasing a podium place it's insignificant.
Totally agree, but going from the really shallow standard c24 to something 45mm would be enough of a performance/aero boost to justify the cost?

Realistically as you're intelligent, frugal and been around cycling a long enough time you know not to get sucked into the trap of a really specific wheelset for the IM. You know to look for future general/leisure use wheel. With the fairly light and reliable c24 as your day to day/training wheelset then it's really easy to choose a deep and fast wheelset for this one, but you should probably look at what other future you want from it - probably a just as reliable 'summer' & aero wheelset? In which case no real need to go over 35/40mm deep...

Nah I don't want a disc nor will I realistically be allowed to afford to buy one.
At least that rules that one out.

Associate
i would look for soemthing like Mavic CXR 60mm clincher with coated alloy brake track. i picked a pair up for 700 not so long ago. or just get a front wheel then get a RON Disc, again, adds up to about 750.

Associate
Jeeze those are cheap. Never heard of them mind.
https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicycle-wheel-aerodynamics-which-one-is-fastest/
depends on what yuo plan to do with the wheels. if it is it pure race wheel then may even go with Planet X tri-spoke with Disc wheel:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WFSE3...--triathlon-tri-spoke-carbon-aero-front-wheel
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WRSEC...ime-trial---triathlon-rear-disc-skinned-wheel
but this combo is probably abit sketchy in the rain (pure carbon brake track).

otheriwse Mavic CXR is great all rounder with 60mm depth (see hambini blog, good enough to challenge some 80mm wheels) and alloy brake track.

Soldato
you *could* fit a disc cover to an existing aero wheel for race day, there's various options available on ebay - or you could make one out of some plastic sheet like i did for my soapbox racer.

the advantages of a disc are pretty compelling, and the gap between a proper disc wheel and one made up with a cover on a spoke wheel is again, only of concern if you're at the sharp end.

Caporegime
https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicycle-wheel-aerodynamics-which-one-is-fastest/
depends on what yuo plan to do with the wheels. if it is it pure race wheel then may even go with Planet X tri-spoke with Disc wheel:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WFSE3...--triathlon-tri-spoke-carbon-aero-front-wheel
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WRSEC...ime-trial---triathlon-rear-disc-skinned-wheel
but this combo is probably abit sketchy in the rain (pure carbon brake track).

otheriwse Mavic CXR is great all rounder with 60mm depth (see hambini blog, good enough to challenge some 80mm wheels) and alloy brake track.
Wow those are crazy cheap.

Soldato
Keep your eye on eBay. I got a new Corima Carbon+ Disc and a Corima WS+ 58mm front wheel off there for £700 all up (two separate auctions a month apart, took some patience).

These are both tubular and relatively narrow so suit 21-24mm tyres.

There are good value wheels out there!

Second hand if you don’t want a disc then get an 808 rear and 404 front, plenty of Enve stuff in budget too usually.

Brand new from retailer, something like a FFWD F6R I dunno?

It’s a hard price point, they will be under budget and give you £ for tyres and cassette.

Spending more then doesn’t gain you much, and you’d have to spend quite a lot more for anything high end named (debatable if that gains you much, warranty and badge).

Soldato
I'm inclined to agree, especially rim braked older wheels from private sellers. Unless you find someone with 99%+ and thousands of Feedback...

Even then you can be buying from someone who doesnt understand. Rim wear and bearing smoothness can be pretty subjective.

Soldato
I'm not sure how retail shifters/brakes come as on the bikes I've had them with a plug at the shifter holding an olive in and the barb is pre installed in the hose which is already cut to length.

Make a point of getting your head around the bleeding process. Pushing the fluid up to the bleed cup, getting a solid lever and opening the bleed nipple whilst maintaining the pressure quite a few times. The cup has to sit at 45 degrees too for the air to escape vertically too.

Soldato
Cheers. Reason I asked was I overtightened and killed an olive. The caliper came pre bled with hose attached and shifter had olive pre inserted. Know the bleed process from mtb and my other road shifters so fairly simple process to get a good pressure. Have bled one of these after cutting the hose(first time I've done this though, real easy job!) bleeding Was much easier than I remember. Wierd little reservoir screw in additional piece now as the entrance hole is bigger on these than the older rs685s.

Soldato
Sooo.

I have permission to get a winter bike, which was unexpected. Budget is around £800. I have a few other parts I can use if needed, seatpost, stem, GXP 24mm ceramic BB. I have been working on the frame/fork being £400 so leaves £400 to finish it.

I will be using my current road wheels, so rim brake.

And it obviously it has to take full guards with a 28mm tyre.

I have gone straight to to Kinesis T3. Retailers give mixed information, but Kinesis say themselves that the carbon fork will take 28mm with guards. Does anyone have experience with this? Or recommend any other frames?

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Forks/Road/TRACER-15

Now initially I though oh I’ll just build it with Rival 22 speed, all my other bikes are Sram, I like how it works and I have never had problems.

Started to cost up and buying new would come in around £950ish. The shifters are £175 which is almost half the budget gone straight off!

Started again, pricing this time for 105 R7000 and it’s much cheaper, mostly the shifters, around £50 less straight off the bat, but then the mechs are £5-15 each. Cranks are less, it soon adds up to 100-150 less.

Back
Top Bottom