The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Saturday morning pancakes, tried out a new recipe, was quite impressed with the thickness.
what was it then ?, personally tried the beaten egg-whites type, and airated beaten whole egg+milk, but currently on straight:melted-butter/buttermilk/milk/egg into
flour+bicarb+baking-powder ... have not invested time in a yeast based pancake yet. Aunt Jemima's mix from Amazon remains very competitive though.

Been a while since I last had breakfast at Bill's. The Garden Plate is nice!
breakfast looks nice ... but seems quite a reliance on the deep fat fryer at Six - 3 of the courses.

Soldato
what was it then ?, personally tried the beaten egg-whites type, and airated beaten whole egg+milk, but currently on straight:melted-butter/buttermilk/milk/egg into
flour+bicarb+baking-powder ... have not invested time in a yeast based pancake yet. Aunt Jemima's mix from Amazon remains very competitive though.
yep basically the butter, milk, egg, flour, etc.
https://www.chocolatesandchai.com/fluffy-fluffy-pancakes/
1 cup All-Purpose Flour, sifted
2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
2 tbsp White Sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Milk
1 Large Egg, beaten
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Canola Oil (or any other vegetable oil), for cooking

the link also has some good recommendations and tips to get best pancakes. In the past I think I'd been mixing the batter too much. My ingredients are usually quite old too. :D

Soldato
Caporegime
I had this also,Was horrible..dry,Why on earth they use chicken tenders on them now instead of actual burgers is beyond me,Because when you pick it up just all falls out regardless of how you hold it,They have done the same with the veggie burgers changed it from actual round burgers to "pieces".

imo Mcdonalds UK has gone downhill recently.

I've not long come back from Cyprus and their McDonalds is 10x better than ours so much nicer,fresh.
Apparently it’s down to their revenue plummeting in the uk. They never wanted to start a delivery service, but have been forced to by the competition that’s now offered with the likes of Uber and Deliveroo.

They used to pay to have a menu extra produced for the new burgers, which is why you used to get nice big chicken burgers. Now they don’t want to pay for it, so they just stick chicken selects in its instead.

It’s like the Italian stack. They have always had pepperoni in them in the past, but they’ve dropped it this time round because of cost, so their Italian burger is made Italian by putting a little bit of mozzarella in the cheese sauce and a scoop of pesto. Pathetic.

Soldato
Since I've been eating quite healthily recently, thought I'd treat myself to a custard tart which I've never made before. I only had a couple of slices and gave the rest away. Came out well and I grated a nutmeg rather than using the ground stuff. A lot of dairy in it, so very creamy. Half a pint of double cream, half a pint of whole milk and 7 egg yolks, lol.

20191024-093519.jpg

20191024-163507.jpg

20191024-163451.jpg

Soldato
I just made pâte sucrée fruit tartlets and a creme patissiere filling (pastry cream) and at the risk of sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet, they do taste AMAZING! :D

Every bit as good as anything I've ever bought at a bakery. I'm absolutely making these again. I used baking rings on some of them and a perforated baking mat which gives quite a professional look to the underside of the pastry.

20191030-085658.jpg

20191029-152638.jpg

20191029-192741.jpg

20191029-192523.jpg

20191030-085908.jpg

Soldato
They do look blooming good! Nice work.

I was going to have a go at the custard tart at the weekend but Mrs famas declared she doesn't like custard tart so that put an end to that :(

Soldato
I just made pâte sucrée fruit tartlets and a creme patissiere filling (pastry cream) and at the risk of sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet, they do taste AMAZING! :D

Every bit as good as anything I've ever bought at a bakery. I'm absolutely making these again. I used baking rings on some of them and a perforated baking mat which gives quite a professional look to the underside of the pastry.

20191030-085658.jpg

20191029-152638.jpg

20191029-192741.jpg

20191029-192523.jpg

20191030-085908.jpg

WOW!

Back
Top Bottom