Estate 10-12k

Soldato
Hey all,

In the market for a not very very old estate, I tend to keep my cars for about 6-8 years so dont want to start old.

I have an allotment and a growing family so the estate would be ideal. I currently drive a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI. an 11 plate, looking to part ex.

So what would you recommend?

thanks,

rotters

Soldato
I think the Octavia is very well regarded on this forum, so a nice starting point is to look at one of those.

judging that you're after a diesel, a quick autotrader search seems to suggest you can get a low mileage, fairly newish (15-16 plate) 2l TDi with either a manual or DSG for your budget.

Associate
As others have said, Octavia Estate is always a solid choice.
Kia Ceed Sportswagon could be worth a look too - ignore the name, there's nothing sporty about them, but they're solid cars and, from a quick look near me on Autotrader, cheaper than Octavia estates of similar vintage.

Man of Honour
Any other constraints or desires on your list? e.g:
Overall size of car?
Boot space?
Performance?
Mileage / typical usage? (assuming as you are in Cornwall, there won't be a lot of high speed motorway driving, so a small turbo petrol might be suitable).

Reason I ask is if you don't want a large car (~5m length), or one with only a medium size boot, or one that isn't particularly quick, that will rule out quite a few options. I spent a lot of time looking to compact estates with large boots a couple of years ago, but they are not for everyone.

Soldato
OP
@HangTime

I like the size of a V50 or the Seat Leon ST and I like the look of a Focus estate ST. Lots have suggested a Skoda Octavia estate, Its a brand Ive never really considered...but open minded.
I drive around 40 miles round trip to work from Hayle to Truro so its straight up the A30. I drive around 12k miles a year so not very many.
At the moment I drive a focus TDCI sport which has a little poke in it but has a tiny boot. TBH I would be happy with a hatch with a bigger boot than the focus or an estate with the obvious advantages of boot size.

Specs..decent dash/entertainment system with satnav. built in tow bar would be nice but Im happy to have put on aftermarket if needed. I have a heavy foot and a responsive engine would be nice but also..I get that I cant have everything for my budget.

thanks,

rotters

Caporegime
@HangTime

I like the size of a V50 or the Seat Leon ST and I like the look of a Focus estate ST. Lots have suggested a Skoda Octavia estate, Its a brand Ive never really considered...but open minded.
I drive around 40 miles round trip to work from Hayle to Truro so its straight up the A30. I drive around 12k miles a year so not very many.
At the moment I drive a focus TDCI sport which has a little poke in it but has a tiny boot. TBH I would be happy with a hatch with a bigger boot than the focus or an estate with the obvious advantages of boot size.

Specs..decent dash/entertainment system with satnav. built in tow bar would be nice but Im happy to have put on aftermarket if needed. I have a heavy foot and a responsive engine would be nice but also..I get that I cant have everything for my budget.

thanks,

rotters

Can easily get a Octavia VRS estate to cover all of this within budget.

I really like mine, albiet I got the model below you'd want.

Personally I'd get the DSG, it's such a nice box.

Man of Honour
So based on the above it sounds like you'd be happy with the estate version of a hatch with a decent size boot. These were my shortlist (around ~600L+ boot space)

Leon ST
Octavia Estate
Civic Tourer
308SW

Now given your usage probably suggests a petrol rather than diesel, that rules out the Peugeot and the Honda as their petrol engines aren't powerful enough for a heavy foot wanting a responsive engine. So you're then left with the Seat and Skoda which you can get with a 2L petrol. How about:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910103174462?year-from=2014&make=SKODA&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=sp12ph&body-type=Estate&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&model=OCTAVIA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&zero-to-60=TO_8&fuel-type=Petrol&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.8&page=1 . Guess it depends if you class a 14 plate as old, but it is the current version aside from a facelift. Will blow the Focus tdci out of the water on both performance and boot space.

Associate
Or cruise, but that can be retrofitted by Skoda for around £300.

My wife has a petrol VRS estate with the dsg box and I think it's great and ticks all the boxes for a good all round family estate

Soldato
Had a hyundai i40 estate as a company car recently. Genuinely impressed by it. Capable rather than exciting. 5 year warranty as well. Your budget should get you one with at least 3.5 years warranty left as well.

Soldato
I currently drive a 2015 plate VW Passat GT Estate - very nice it is too with lods of kit including Alcantra seats, radar cruise, Nav, reverse camera, heated electric seats, automatic lights and wipers, usual bluetooth etc etc etc - punchy diesel engine and looks pretty smart with the 18" alloys.

Im not sure if one could be had within budget but well worth a look.

A Skoda Superb is of course a similar beast albeit less badge snobbery.

Back
Top Bottom