Portsmouth

Soldato
My wife had a dream last night that we'd have a better life if we upped sticks and moved to Portsmouth.

We currently live in East Grinstead, 40 mins train to my work @ £196 a month season ticket. 2 bed flat with 156k left on mortgage, 4yr old and another on the way. We can't afford to buy a house around here or anywhere else in the nearby areas. My wife doesn't drive either so limits places to move to.

Portsmouth is 2hrs on train max and doubles my train costs. We can probably get a decent size 3 bed property without too much changing in mortgage costs. Obviously there is cost of moving etc.

Anyway I have no idea where are good areas in Portsmouth but need to move close to the stations to get to East Croydon for my work. Also would like decent junior and senior schools for future proofing education.

So please GD do your worst but also if anyone has any decent suggestions of areas too. Cheers

Soldato
Direct train goes through Fareham. We moved here a few years ago and it's not bad. Southampton and Portsmouth are both within 20 minutes, its cheaper than both too.

Associate
Don’t, just don’t.

There aren’t any decent areas and the main bit of Portsmouth (Portsea Island) is crowded, busy and just not a nice place to live and bring up a family.

Chichester is a lot nicer with better schools and people.

Underboss
So your going to increase your travel time and expenditure over your wife's dream, yep seems like a great idea that.

Better life = less money, more commuting time and living in Portsmouth, jesus set the bar a little higher.

Man of Honour
My wife had a dream last night that we'd have a better life if we upped sticks and moved to Portsmouth.

If dreams are anything to go by - I once had a dream I was standing on the main shopping street of the town I lived in at the time and watched a mushroom cloud appear on the horizon from a nuclear bomb - looking at it on google maps the place that is in the right direction and approximate distance would be Portsmouth.

(Although Blandford Camp is also on that line LOL).

oap

oap

Associate
Portsmouth is very overcrowded and saturated with cars and nowhere to park, please note that the Southampton people calling it a dump seem to be blind to their own city :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

We currently live in East Grinstead, 40 mins train to my work @ £196 a month season ticket. 2 bed flat with 156k left on mortgage, 4yr old and another on the way. We can't afford to buy a house around here or anywhere else in the nearby areas. My wife doesn't drive either so limits places to move to.

Portsmouth is 2hrs on train max and doubles my train costs. We can probably get a decent size 3 bed property without too much changing in mortgage costs. Obviously there is cost of moving etc.

Anyway I have no idea where are good areas in Portsmouth but need to move close to the stations to get to East Croydon for my work. Also would like decent junior and senior schools for future proofing education.

So please GD do your worst but also if anyone has any decent suggestions of areas too. Cheers

Portsmouth AKA student central :p

I work in Portsmouth but live across the water where it's much quieter. You could instead do the same I guess? The Gosport Ferry takes 4 minutes or so to cross over and then you're at the transport hub of the city immediacy after to get around anywhere.

Soldato
Yeah Portsmouth isn't the best. I'm in an alright area though, I live near Portsdown Hill, so I'm pretty much as far out of Portsmouth as it's possible to be with it still being classed as Portsmouth. I'm also only about 3 miles from Havant station which is good for the fast trains to London. I sure as hell wouldn't choose anywhere south of the M27/A27 though :)

Associate
The town station is in the heart of student/chav territory, the harbour station has Old Portsmouth/Gunwharf on one side (so property prices are stupidly high) and Portsea on the other (nobody moves there out of choice).

The other option is near Fratton station but that depends on budget and your definition of a decent sized house.

You can pick nicer areas if you're prepared to bus into the town centre, but take into account travelling anywhere in the city during rush hour can test the patience of a Zen Buddhist.

Back
Top Bottom