Subject-Verb Agreement and the Tesco conundrum

Caporegime
Is Tesco a plural?

"I went to a Tesco yesterday to buy a goose from the frozen goods aisle."

"Tescos?"

"No, a Tesco."

Basic Rule. A singular subject (she, Bill, car) takes a singular verb (is, goes, shines), whereas a plural subject takes a plural verb.

Example: The list of items is/are on the desk.
If you know that list is the subject, then you will choose is for the verb.

Rule 1. A subject will come before a phrase beginning with of. This is a key rule for understanding subjects. The word of is the culprit in many, perhaps most, subject-verb mistakes.

Hasty writers, speakers, readers, and listeners might miss the all-too-common mistake in the following sentence:

Incorrect: A bouquet of yellow roses lend color and fragrance to the room.

Correct: A bouquet of yellow roses lends . . . (bouquet lends, not roses lend)

What are the hot takes on possessive nouns (edited for correctness) this morning?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is Tesco a plural?

"I went to a Tesco yesterday to buy a goose from the frozen goods aisle."

"Tescos?"

"No, a Tesco."
[...]

What are the hot takes on plurality this morning?

Surely you mean possessive noun no?

"Tesco's"

I think it has arisen from things like "Sainsbury's" and "Morrison's" being named after their founders. You're going to Tesco's... a store belonging to the company Tesco (though I don't think there was a Mr Tesco).

Caporegime
OP
Surely you mean possessive noun no?

"Tesco's"

I think it has arisen from things like "Sainsbury's" and "Morrison's" being named after their founders. You're going to Tesco's... a store belonging to the company Tesco (though I don't think there was a Mr Tesco).
I did, I'll edit that in. I was thinking of more than one thing at the time.

Associate

Wikipedia said:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Tesco
Tesco was founded in 1919 by Jack Cohen as a group of market stalls. The Tesco name first appeared in 1924, after Cohen purchased a shipment of tea from T. E. Stockwell and combined those initials with the first two letters of his surname, and the first Tesco shop opened in 1931 in Burnt Oak, Barnet.

I tend to say Tesco's. I went to Tesco's yesterday. Went to a (Wether) Spoon's pub yesterday.

The Co-op (with 'the') is the definite article, so I say I went to the Co-op yesterday. Never call it the Co-operative as they seem to like calling themselves these days, and bring back the blue logo. It doesn't look the same when it's green!

Back
Top Bottom