• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I could probably sell my PC and get a PS5 with cash left over, this is really a crunch point, ZEN 2 + 5700XT in a cheapo console, the tables are really turning.

How can anyone really justify a gaming PC over the console? I mean slightly better modding on PC and Windows. But the One X was really questioning the PC Vs Console, now this generation, it's really tight now.

Associate
How can anyone really justify a gaming PC over the console?

Console gaming is still a no go area for millions.

If you're ok with lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, the reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds (PSN is held together with duct tape and glue, PS5 will be no different), lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels (i'm snoring), lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

Then aye, buy a console.

Anyway, if you bought a PS5/Project Scarlett at launch, they won't be cheap, your talking easily £800 for both (£400 each, estimated), maybe more. That's excluding a Nintendo console too, which would add another £250+ onto that figure, if you bought all three.

For that money, you could buy a top of line GPU and by the time 2020 comes along you'll have even better cards from Nvidia/AMD (plus Intel will be entering the market with their dGPUs) which will dwarf anything inside these consoles. Not to mention you'll have all the added benefits of the PC platform.

I personally won't be switching. I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face, just because of current GPU prices or because new consoles are getting released.

Soldato
How can anyone really justify a gaming PC over the console?

I've thought that for years, especially considering the PS4 exclusives. Let's be honest, consoles graphics have been good enough for a while now and this next gen will push them even closer to even the best gaming rigs.

You know....I think I actually prefer console gaming.

Caporegime
I could probably sell my PC and get a PS5 with cash left over, this is really a crunch point, ZEN 2 + 5700XT in a cheapo console, the tables are really turning.

How can anyone really justify a gaming PC over the console? I mean slightly better modding on PC and Windows. But the One X was really questioning the PC Vs Console, now this generation, it's really tight now.
You can justify it when it’s your hobby. I don’t mind spending 2k on my PC hobby, others might like spending £2k on a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting. It’s what you enjoy.

Besides, the hardware for the new consoles will already be old in PC terms by the time they come out. The Nvidia 3080Ti, which is likely leagues more powerful than the new consoles, will already be out.

And I can never go back to 30fps, and I have a slight suspicion that quite a few games will be locked to that so they can ramp the visuals up.

Soldato
I've thought that for years, especially considering the PS4 exclusives. Let's be honest, consoles graphics have been good enough for a while now and this next gen will push them even closer to even the best gaming rigs.

One thing they have going for them is communties - it's much easier to keep track with friends on a console, on PC since you have a million different service platforms now each with their own lists and the such

Soldato

Whats wrong with owning both or all?

I have a gaming PC, Switch and PS4 Pro.

Soldato
Well I have a switch, xbox x and ps4 pro which pretty much covers me for every game. Not sure there are any PC only games I want to play.

there are no pc only games I want to play either. For me the pc is for al Multiplatform games and i only play exclusives on the PS4 and switch

Soldato
I had a pc back when battlefield 2 was a thing. (Bought a fair bit from ocuk) But now everything is on console there’s no need. The only thing I miss is C&C and age of empires. But they’d probably run quite well on the family Mac.

the PS5 is gonna be great.

Caporegime
But they’d probably run quite well on the family Mac.

I was thinking of doing that - ditching PC and getting both next-gen consoles and an iMac for the odd game or three but I read that Apple are going to be ditching Intel from 2020 and using their own ARM Ax CPUs. That will royally throw a spanner in the works. It'll go back to even more of a niche with Aspyr probably doing all the porting just like in the PowerPC days.

Soldato
Apples a13x will be a beast as is, hopefully they can scale it up - by the time Mavs are shipping Apple cpus it will be a14x

not sure about multi thread but a desktop a13x based on benches already looks like it can match intel in single thread

Caporegime
Apples a13x will be a beast as is, hopefully they can scale it up - by the time Mavs are shipping Apple cpus it will be a14x

not sure about multi thread but a desktop a13x based on benches already looks like it can match intel in single thread

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the power in them, it's just the totally different architecture. It might mean less and less games get ported. And you won't have the option of Boot Camp either (presumably).

Soldato
I haven't seen much confirmed aside from Watch Dogs 3.

Any AAA title currently in development will likely see a version on the next gen consoles imo.

By all accounts it looks like it shouldn't be a "massive" amount of work to turn things up. Architecture is remaining the same this time but with a power boost, it will take work but it's not like going from Cell to this gen.

Release on current gen then again 6 months - 1 year later on next gen.. double dip ahoy.

Back
Top Bottom