I Want This Shed.....But it's Too Expensive

Bar

Bar

Soldato
One thing that does appear different is that it looks like T&G on the interior and shiplap on the exterior. I wonder if it has two layers - an internal T&G and decorative external shiplap. Otherwise they look like they have cut the timbers to produce a dual effect - this would all add to the cost. Still massively overpriced, but it would explain some of the premium.

Thats a good point, it does look like its probably double layer. I guess if you were trying to make it premium then that would add to the effect.
Also 2x 10mm or so boards wouldnt be much diff in price to just a single say 20mm as most timber seems to be pretty much priced according to weight now. (Bar excessively large and small pieces)

It really looks to me like its at a place where practically money is no object, the sorts of people who wouldn't even think about spending that sort of amount for someone to come round and build it.

It definatly very poor value for money, but there are people who don't care about that.

Soldato
OP
It really looks to me like its at a place where practically money is no object, the sorts of people who wouldn't even think about spending that sort of amount for someone to come round and build it.

It definatly very poor value for money, but there are people who don't care about that.
It's at a garden centre in Henley on Thames next to my office and it's definitely marketed towards the local population who have too much money.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior and @floatindolphin

Did you build your own or get them/someone else to do so, what sort of base did you use?

Cheers
Simon

I bought tuin and built myself.
Base was a modification of some decking frame i already had there. Its iirc 9x1.75 inch or close timber. The I added the angled base which leads water away from the base and put the cabin on top.

I built it myself. Twice.
I had some help to put it up (upto walls and roof beams) but was unhappy with the angle on the front. This was caused by firstly the angled base i mention above and secondly that along with the fact we bought one of the restricted height ones as its on the boundary. As its restricted height it means there is basically no step in the doorway, the higher cabins tend to have a full beam across the front at the bottom. Without that and with the angled base it meant during construction the dorr was leaning out slightly.
Was impossible to correct with it up, so I took it back down and put it up again, but this time I ensured the door gap was straight and when I came to the door that was far better.
For the 2.8x3.8 it took about 2-3 hours for the main build, thats walls, door, window etc, and roof beams. I fitted the roof the next day, took again about 2-3 hours. Quite time consuming as its T&G planks. The felt over that.
Following weekend I fitted the floor inside. 28mm T&G as it was being used for a small gym it need a good floor. Again 2-3 hours probably.
To do the whole thing to that point I think your talking 10 hours or so. Then its minor stuff depending what your doing, electrics etc.

My base is super reinforced due to the weight I was putting in it. But the floor is in fact floating, ie not actually connected to the cabin so it doesnt affect the cabin itself.
They are not hard to build, the main issues likely to be having space to spread it all out so its easy to find each part as you need them, or space to sort them into reverse order. And the building of the door and frame. Which for me was quite a few parts, its a double door and making it outside the cabin, then slotting it in (lower in from about half height) wasnt easy. I had to do a fair bit of tweaking to get the doors so I was happy, very fine line between sticking and not being able to easily get the bolts to work and the lock etc. Not hard, just time consuming. It works fine in all seasons now

There are some good videos on tuins site. If you have a logical mind and reasonably handy with a few basic tools then it shouldn't prove any real challenge.

Soldato
I bought tuin and built myself.
Base was a modification of some decking frame i already had there. Its iirc 9x1.75 inch or close timber. The I added the angled base which leads water away from the base and put the cabin on top.

I built it myself. Twice.
I had some help to put it up (upto walls and roof beams) but was unhappy with the angle on the front. This was caused by firstly the angled base i mention above and secondly that along with the fact we bought one of the restricted height ones as its on the boundary. As its restricted height it means there is basically no step in the doorway, the higher cabins tend to have a full beam across the front at the bottom. Without that and with the angled base it meant during construction the dorr was leaning out slightly.
Was impossible to correct with it up, so I took it back down and put it up again, but this time I ensured the door gap was straight and when I came to the door that was far better.
For the 2.8x3.8 it took about 2-3 hours for the main build, thats walls, door, window etc, and roof beams. I fitted the roof the next day, took again about 2-3 hours. Quite time consuming as its T&G planks. The felt over that.
Following weekend I fitted the floor inside. 28mm T&G as it was being used for a small gym it need a good floor. Again 2-3 hours probably.
To do the whole thing to that point I think your talking 10 hours or so. Then its minor stuff depending what your doing, electrics etc.

My base is super reinforced due to the weight I was putting in it. But the floor is in fact floating, ie not actually connected to the cabin so it doesnt affect the cabin itself.
They are not hard to build, the main issues likely to be having space to spread it all out so its easy to find each part as you need them, or space to sort them into reverse order. And the building of the door and frame. Which for me was quite a few parts, its a double door and making it outside the cabin, then slotting it in (lower in from about half height) wasnt easy. I had to do a fair bit of tweaking to get the doors so I was happy, very fine line between sticking and not being able to easily get the bolts to work and the lock etc. Not hard, just time consuming. It works fine in all seasons now

There are some good videos on tuins site. If you have a logical mind and reasonably handy with a few basic tools then it shouldn't prove any real challenge.

Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly handy so sounds like it should be to difficult.
It's going to be used for a gym too (full bodymax cage, treadmill and rowing machine) plus a man cave corner (pc, oculus, ps4 and tv). Shall be going with the 44mm double t and g.

You mentioned boundary limitations is this purely the 2.5 metres from ground level or have missed something?

Cheers
Simon

Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly handy so sounds like it should be to difficult.
It's going to be used for a gym too (full bodymax cage, treadmill and rowing machine) plus a man cave corner (pc, oculus, ps4 and tv). Shall be going with the 44mm double t and g.

You mentioned boundary limitations is this purely the 2.5 metres from ground level or have missed something?

Cheers
Simon

Yeah its that limitation, we wanted it literally in the corner of our garden, sits within about 40cm of the boundary on 2 edges. Not that we predict any issue, its just not worth the drama if someone does object.

Soldato

Cheers
Simon

I did an SEO course a few years ago and one one of the other people there ran their own cabin building business.

He said that the 2.5 meters height limit, which I don't think is very high if you have a raised floor, can be cheated by having a rockery or raised border as it raises the height of the garden. I've yet to look into the legality of that though.

Soldato
I did an SEO course a few years ago and one one of the other people there ran their own cabin building business.

He said that the 2.5 meters height limit, which I don't think is very high if you have a raised floor, can be cheated by having a rockery or raised border as it raises the height of the garden. I've yet to look into the legality of that though.

Its a bit odd isn't it, you could have a garden with a 1 in 10 drop and put a 4.5m high shed 20m away :D

Not to fussed about the 2.5m as the only one doing an overhead press that would hit the roof would be me, and i don't use it :D

Associate
Did a build myself last year. 5m by 5m. Laying the concrete, building the sides and roof, covering in felt, electrics, cost me about £2.5k all in. Designed the whole thing in cad beforehand and sent off for all the timber to be delivered. Whole frame built one weekend, skinned and roofed took another couple of weekends. Needed a spare pair of hands on occasion, but most of the time it was a ne man job.

Associate
Did a build myself last year. 5m by 5m. Laying the concrete, building the sides and roof, covering in felt, electrics, cost me about £2.5k all in. Designed the whole thing in cad beforehand and sent off for all the timber to be delivered. Whole frame built one weekend, skinned and roofed took another couple of weekends. Needed a spare pair of hands on occasion, but most of the time it was a ne man job.

ha, I paid 3k for cabin, 1k for concrete, 1k install. Leaks badly, logs twisted. 2 year up. Might as well set fire to it. Think im gonna clad it ... more expense!!!

Live and learn I guess. Got absolutely ripped off. :(

Back
Top Bottom