Woo-hoo, the clocks go back to GMT this weekend!

Soldato
How many people have been waiting for my usual celebratory thread? :D

I'm so pleased that we'll be back to GMT (UTC, Z, etc) this weekend.

We invented time, we invented Greenwich, we invented longitude and we invented clocks*

We'll be back to proper time again... BST, go play with yourself!

NdqdhqX.png

*some of this may not be entirely factual

Boooo hiss

Britain should stay on BST all year around.

Associate
So I guess the biggest complaints come from those who don't work shift or have flexibility on when they start work because its a bit dark.

GET RID.

I would vote for whichever party put this in their manifesto.

Soldato
Does it change Saturday going into Sunday at 2am, or Sunday going into Monday at 2am? I always get confused on that. :p
Sunday morning at 2am, there’s no other way it’s possible.

It’s not Sunday going into Monday because then that would be 2am Monday. :p

Soldato
I find it incredible that so many people actually care one way or another. Whether it’s light or dark, surely you just get on with life?!?

Commissario
OP
How can @Feek enjoy darker mornings and nights?
I'm a morning person. I get up early and for a while at least, I'll have light in the mornings again.

But let me refer you to a couple of posts in a previous thread....
For those that work in industries/have hobbies that rely on international standards (defence, aviation and radio in my personal experience), it is a bit of a pain having to do a +1 in time difference calculations. Not that it makes it overly complex, but the minimal complexity it adds is pointless. In all my workplaces we have recorded things by a mixture of UTC and local, depending on the job and which organisation "owns" the process, and as a result have to constantly double check for errors as people just can't easily seem to differentiate between local and UTC. We actually have separate local and UTC clocks on the wall to help people not make such a simple, but costly mistake. It still happens anyway.
Bingo! @Zefan has actually got it. It's really all about this for me. It's no secret that I'm into radio and everything is logged in GMT (UTC etc). People still don't get it - Everything should be done in GMT but very often things get missed simply because people just spurt the words 'GMT' when the don't really know what they're talking about.

Apart from that, it's businesses as well. I've seen stuff on websites/social media saying "Hey, our sale starts at 08:00 GMT" or "The presentation will be at 10:30 GMT" etc but you turn up/tune in at the time they've stated to discover you're an hour late.

Far too many idiots assume our local time is always GMT and quote it.

Chris shares the same hobby as me, he knows where I'm coming from.
And Feek enjoys a hobby simplified by our usage of UTC :)

Soldato
But let me refer you to a couple of posts in a previous thread....

Chris shares the same hobby as me, he knows where I'm coming from.

As I said earlier it's not just radio etc. Booting between *BSD, Linux and Windows is a royal PITA because the BIOS is set to UTC/GMT, Windows then expects localtime and shifts the clock an hour out, and then BSD/Linux gets confused because Windows keeps setting hwclock to localtime. You have to then either force BSD/Linux to use localtime (and keep changing it back with the seasons), or hack Windows to respect UTC (the better option, which is what I do). Just stick to UTC so all the computer things work properly, and stop screwing up the clock twice a year because '18th century reasons'. :p

Permabanned
With this locking my PC's and some radios to GPS I have really no excuse to ever be late, but often am, there's a forum called Time Nuts that goes into the utmost depth on time standards and there usage, if you want to see how grown men can get inveigled with argument over such matters it's worth a look! Obsessive is not the word ;)

heather.jpg

Back
Top Bottom