local characters

Man of Honour
Soldato
There used to be this guy with mental problems that used to walk around the town with his arms out like an airplace, and talk to himself.

I think some of my family used to know his parents. He was harmless but if you didn't know him, he was 6ft and stocky, and when someone like that is mumbling to themselves I think he scared people who didn't know him.

Sadly the last time I heard of him some kids had beaten him up. I'm not sure what happened but I didn't see him again.

Associate
I remember seeing 'Fred the tramp' a lot, as I used to drive past the ring road he camped on.

Basically, homeless Polish man, lived on a ring road in a tent. Lots of stories about him, about his money etc; He was apparently an officer during the war and never claimed his pension, so was worth tens of thousands of pounds. But lived in a tent for 30 years, in the hole that is Wolverhampton.

Heard all the same stories. He died a good few years ago and the council flattened his encampment.

She died a couple of years ago.

That explains why she's not been seen in a while. IIRC (so the story goes) she was a school teacher or lecturer or similar and her child died which sent her wibble. Shame really, but I never once saw her pay for a drink in 'Spoons. (Disclaimer: I don't spend all my time in 'Spoons :D)

Don
Heard all the same stories. He died a good few years ago and the council flattened his encampment.

That explains why she's not been seen in a while. IIRC (so the story goes) she was a school teacher or lecturer or similar and her child died which sent her wibble. Shame really, but I never once saw her pay for a drink in 'Spoons. (Disclaimer: I don't spend all my time in 'Spoons :D)

Think he died over 10 years ago now! There does seem to be less and less local characters, maybe because perhaps there's more help for people these days?

Soldato
I remember the Ferryhill centurion; I live just outside of the village. I used to see him frequently on my way back from work, but I've not seen him for a while. Apparently, the current centurion is/was carrying on a tradition started originally by his dad.

Soldato
we have a fella that walks everywhere, and i mean everywhere, miles and miles.
That was most of us until we could afford a car... No money for the bus and, with all the traffic, it was often quicker to walk anyway.
I used to walk 7 miles each way just to work.

Reading has the Elvis fan.
Reading Elvis is awesome. You should stop and have a quick chat some time.
Instead of the usual little known Big Brother Love Island reject, one year we got Reading Elvis to turn on the Christmas Lights!

Permabanned
Northenden in Greater Manchester had an ex head master who turned to sleeping rough through choice, not necessity. He was incredibly intelligent and well read, and was greatly missed with a big turn out for his funeral when he sadly died.

I remember "Marigold" well, a true character indeed.

Soldato
I also haven't seen the bearded lady of Guildford in a while.

In Kingston we had Moses of Kingston. He was a pretty nice guy. If you spoke to him, he'd always tell you how handsome or beautiful you were and have a nice little chat. I think he used to wear union jack clothes or something like that, and in later years it was a tutu and he bowled around on a scooter. Poor guy died last year. There was always a rumour that he was super rich as he was orphaned and left a substantial amount of money.

https://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/...oses-after-death-of-beloved-community-figure/

Soldato
Inverness has Davie Gnome. Essentially a dwarf who drinks a great deal at all the times of the day.

There was also the guy (Kim Gordon) who looked homeless and for years sold jewellery and assorted other stuff on boards next to the benches in the High Street. Heard rumours that he was actually from a well off family and heir to a fortune (I'm guessing that this could be related to the other surname he used is Avis but he may not be in any way related). Last I'd seen was that he had gone over to the USA, attemptd to fake his own death presumeably as a result of being charged with "rape, attempted rape, assault, lewd and indecent practices, breach of the peace, malicious damage and failing to appear in court for trial".

Back
Top Bottom