What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019) - 5/10

There’s plenty of spectacular special effects full of magic and colour in this somewhat traditional movie, but unfortunately, there’s not a lot of story or memorable events to keep things interesting.

It picks up at the end because of the large scale action and climatic finale, but the weak plot, so-so acting, lack of comedic moments and cast of underdeveloped characters make things a little boring overall.

Typical Disney ending, although Jolie’s performance and the little porcupine character were good.

Seeing this in imax tonight. Not sure if gf has worked out I have a bit of a thing for Jolie

Caporegime
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019) - 5/10

There’s plenty of spectacular special effects full of magic and colour in this somewhat traditional movie, but unfortunately, there’s not a lot of story or memorable events to keep things interesting.

It picks up at the end because of the large scale action and climatic finale, but the weak plot, so-so acting, lack of comedic moments and cast of underdeveloped characters make things a little boring overall.

Typical Disney ending, although Jolie’s performance and the little porcupine character were good.

The trailer for that came on and my wife said "I wouldn't mind seeing that"

I said "Looks **** to me, and we've not even seen the first one" at which point she reminded me that we had indeed watched it!

It was so forgettable, that even now I can only remember something about a wall of thorns...and 3 old faries looking after a toddler.

Associate
Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (2019) - 7/10

Silly and fun with plenty for slapstick humour and visual gags for younger children to enjoy and also a fair few sci-fi references for the adults to look out for.

The story is good, the new characters are entertaining and the animation style is as good as ever, but it is a bit too long and it doesn’t quite have the same charm as the Wallace & Gromit series.

Soldato
Toy Story 4 - 7/10

Picture on 4K superb helped by the fact they seem to have gone for a more lifelike look with the background and outdoor scenes. Story felt a bit forced and contrived. It's Disney/Pixar so going to be a bit schmaltz but the first 20 minutes felt more like one of their short stories. The main plot rather similar to the 2nd and 3rd movies and never really captured the warmth of the original. The kids will probably love it and it provided a nice distraction from RW politics, but on reflection no one would have been put out had the film never been made.

Caporegime
Toy Story 4 - 7/10

Picture on 4K superb helped by the fact they seem to have gone for a more lifelike look with the background and outdoor scenes. Story felt a bit forced and contrived. It's Disney/Pixar so going to be a bit schmaltz but the first 20 minutes felt more like one of their short stories. The main plot rather similar to the 2nd and 3rd movies and never really captured the warmth of the original. The kids will probably love it and it provided a nice distraction from RW politics, but on reflection no one would have been put out had the film never been made.

I think you are being soft giving it a seven. Was a pure milking exercise of the franchise for me. 3 was fantastic and should have left it there.

Soldato
I think you are being soft giving it a seven. Was a pure milking exercise of the franchise for me. 3 was fantastic and should have left it there.

Rating mainly based on the demo level 4K picture..! The whole thing with the "fork" and "trash" wore thin very quickly, TBH. Woody also seemed to be acting plain stupid at times, way out of previous character. Most of the supporting toys were relegated to extended cameos, even Buzz.

Soldato
Zombieland 2 : Double Tap 5.5 / 10

Was ok, bit meh, bit pointless and didn't really bring anything to the table. Agree with Kermode that it just felt like a disjointed series of set pieces lumped together with little thread holding it together.

Soldato
Paper Man - 9/10, one of my favourite indie films. For some reason it was re-released in the UK as Unlikely Hero with Ryan Reynold's character at the forefront of the posters etc, rather bizarre but obviously an attempt to cash in on the name. In any case, the original name is better, it's a wonderful film about an eccentric writer (played by Jeff Bridges) who befriends a teenage girl (Emma Stone) whilst staying out in a small town trying to get over his writer's block.

It's on Amazon Prime Video at the moment (under the re-released name) if anyone's interested. It's got a bit of a Lost In Translation feel to it.

Caporegime
Blade Runner 2049

I've been meaning to get round to watching this since it appeared on Netflix. It opens solidly. It has a lot of the aesthetic of the original and there is a deep sense of foreboding and menace about it. An hour in and I'm thinking this is a must see movie: it has a slowness about it - and confidence in that slowness - that is rare in modern films. It wants you to pay attention. It wants you to give it time and concentration. I like that. Unfortunately, as the plot unfolds the film gradually fails to live up to its promise, from an unconvincing - if beautifully stylised - villain through an ultimately empty plot and an unsatisfying (in scripting, not acting) turn from the old guard, it ends up feeling like a missed opportunity. I was taken in by the major plot twist and there is a lovely attention to detail at times but whereas the original Blade Runner has a deep philosophical question (what really makes us human?) at its heart, this movie doesn't really seem to be more than a shallow jaunt through the world of the original.

Some high points, and wonderful style, but a disappointing 6/10 in the end.

Soldato
Blade Runner 2049

I've been meaning to get round to watching this since it appeared on Netflix. It opens solidly. It has a lot of the aesthetic of the original and there is a deep sense of foreboding and menace about it. An hour in and I'm thinking this is a must see movie: it has a slowness about it - and confidence in that slowness - that is rare in modern films. It wants you to pay attention. It wants you to give it time and concentration. I like that. Unfortunately, as the plot unfolds the film gradually fails to live up to its promise, from an unconvincing - if beautifully stylised - villain through an ultimately empty plot and an unsatisfying (in scripting, not acting) turn from the old guard, it ends up feeling like a missed opportunity. I was taken in by the major plot twist and there is a lovely attention to detail at times but whereas the original Blade Runner has a deep philosophical question (what really makes us human?) at its heart, this movie doesn't really seem to be more than a shallow jaunt through the world of the original.

Some high points, and wonderful style, but a disappointing 6/10 in the end.

Have to disagree with you on this. I thought blade runner 2049 was one of the best films in recent years. Gets an 8/10 from me and I don't throw 8's around lightly ;)

Soldato
@IvanDobskey don't forget, he's the guy who posted this in the SW thread...

Ever since Rian Johnson absolutely knocked it out of the park with The Last Jedi and Abrams was announced for episode IX I've been concerned that JJ would drop the ball. JJ excels at beautiful but shallow films which was fine for The Force Awakens, but TLJ took it to another level and I have serious doubts that JJ is up to following that. Doubly so since it transpired the extent to which there was a failure to plan for a coherent trilogy at all.

Five seconds into the trailer and I'm excited again.

Can't wait for December.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32650971/

I don't know how anyone could praise TLJ so highly and then give such a low score to BR 2049

Associate
Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) - 8/10

It may be the same old Terminator story, but it’s an enjoyable and exciting ride.

The action scenes are great, full of energy and explosive special effects, the androids look superb, the acting is pretty good and the throwback references are a nice touch.

The basic plot doesn’t get bogged down in its dialogue, and although it is quite predictable, it’s still thrilling and even a little bit funny at times.

Back
Top Bottom