Reading a credit / debit card from an App

Soldato
I've noticed that when sending money via online banking it does a check on the sort code you type in and shows the name of the associated bank. That would be a way to verify the sort code but it wont help with the account number. I dont know if it's a service you could use or if the info is only available for financial institutions.

Associate
OP
I've noticed that when sending money via online banking it does a check on the sort code you type in and shows the name of the associated bank. That would be a way to verify the sort code but it wont help with the account number. I dont know if it's a service you could use or if the info is only available for financial institutions.

Those things we already check using a webservice call to PostCode Anywhere. There are a range of companies offering that kind of verification service, just depends on usage and how sophisticated you need the checks to be.

I think we're going to play about with Amazon's TEXTRACT service anyhow, we've had some reasonable results with paper forms for a proof of concept.

Associate
How many people are you talking about, can they not write their details on a piece of paper?

You'd be surprised how many people cannot complete such a simple task.
We had created a new start form for one of our clients - bank details section had 6 boxes for sort code, 8 for account number. In my time here, i've seen at least 8 instances of people drawing on additional boxes to put in their credit/debit card number. Quality.

@skyripper if you're going down the type solution you should see if you could get some form of API to hook into a modulus checker and reject their input if it does not pass. We use https://accuity.com/product/bankers-almanac-uk-sort-codes/ if you fancy a look.

We also use a piece of BACS software for credits & debits that has this built in. They offer the modulus check as a service too - scottish company and very nice to deal with: https://www.mosaicsoftware.co.uk/sortcode-and-bank-account-validation-software

edit: Just read the above :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom