First Class 1 job.

Associate
Hi folks. HGV Driver here.
Had my Class 1 and 2 licence since 2006 but have mostly drove Class 2 since, with a little bit of Class 1 work occasionally. Anyway when the CPC came into law in 2013, I didn't get it so I left working as a driver until January 2019 when I started back Class 2 with an agency.
Well, I got my first permanent Class 1 job last week which I start on Monday which I'm a bit nervous about lol.
Just wondering if any you lovely lot have any tips you could give me for driving Artics to avoid having a disaster on the first day!?

Soldato
Was just going to say, don't crash or overturn also.

I've just done my CPC, I thought it came in in 2009, or was it optional then and compulsory in 2013?

It would be patronising for me to give you advice but just route plan well, do you checks, drive safe, know your loads.

Most people have no idea how difficult this job can be.

Associate
When that lorry in front is going around 1mph slower than you are and there's a long incline coming up, please avoid the temptation to overtake =D

Soldato
When your playing minecraft on your phone and making a pot noodle try to look at the road every so often to avoid pot holes, fines if you pretend to be a bus are steep too

Soldato
Get out and look
Don't rush
Check and double check when coupling and dropping trailers
Take as much room as you need and then a bit more, split lanes when necessary.
Car drivers they can wait don't be pressured into making a mistake.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Get out and look
Don't rush
Check and double check when coupling and dropping trailers
Take as much room as you need and then a bit more, split lanes when necessary.
Car drivers they can wait don't be pressured into making a mistake.

Excellent advice:cool:

I’d add that you always respect what your driving, never get complacent, that’s when it’ll bite you!

Your paid by the hour, don’t speed, it’s costing you money and you have a tachograph in your cab that will record your speed, in the event of a serious incident it would convict you!

When coupling or uncoupling a trailer if anybody or anything distracts you, re check you’ve done everything again.

Remember your trailer height, never rely on sat nav, get a truckers atlas and check your routes, don’t think a short cut will necessarily help you!

Always secure your load, if pulling a curtain sided trailer treat it as a flat bed ie if you’d strap it to a flat trailer then you’d do the same with a curtain slider.

Experience comes with time, talk to other drivers, ignore the know it alls - they usually know the least! You’ll never stop learning either.

Avoid working for shady outfits running silly bling spec foreign registered Scania V8’s supposedly doing fridge work.... ;)

Soldato
Excellent advice:cool:

I’d add that you always respect what your driving, never get complacent, that’s when it’ll bite you!

Your paid by the hour, don’t speed, it’s costing you money and you have a tachograph in your cab that will record your speed, in the event of a serious incident it would convict you!

When coupling or uncoupling a trailer if anybody or anything distracts you, re check you’ve done everything again.

Remember your trailer height, never rely on sat nav, get a truckers atlas and check your routes, don’t think a short cut will necessarily help you!

Always secure your load, if pulling a curtain sided trailer treat it as a flat bed ie if you’d strap it to a flat trailer then you’d do the same with a curtain slider.

Experience comes with time, talk to other drivers, ignore the know it alls - they usually know the least! You’ll never stop learning either.

stay out of middle lanes

Avoid working for shady outfits running silly bling spec foreign registered Scania V8’s supposedly doing fridge work.... ;)

Soldato
You'll get there when you get there.
ie: The only pressure is the pressure you put on yourself. (Now hurry up and GTF out of the way !!) lol
Learn this saying....
"Crack on Driver"

When you get to a delivery point look for broken indicator glass & paint rubs etc and "Pre-Figure" out what's happened to previous drivers who've delivered there !

Back
Top Bottom