The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Man of Honour
I would not get hyped about it much, a lot of people felt it was not as good as people made out and did not even complete the game.

Graphics sure will look sweet on the PC though. I will wait until next year when I get an 3070 or something before I even bother trying to run it myself :p

Oh I am hyped about it but because I am wanting a cowboy simulator, to explain...I am not even going to run or gallop, I intend to immerse and literally walk and ride at the slowest pace, as I would have done if I was there in reality. The slower, the more long winded, the more atmospheric and immersive it is the better. RDR2 is literally the perfect RP environment for me. I will spend entire 7 hour gaming sessions where I quite literally do nothing but walk about the game world, living it. I can understand how those who are seeking more "game" and less simulation might be disappointed but its more Sim than game that I am after and it looks to fit the bill of what I seek exactly :)

Soldato
So I've just completed the first part from Edgewater and noticed it wasn't saving, and save was greyed out... So a bit of reading has indicated that the game does not like folder redirection and so I've now got a problem of the time put in cannot be saved until I resolve this and then at the same time, once I've sorted folder redirection I'll have to reload the game to make it save so losing the progress to date :(

Soldato
So I've just completed the first part from Edgewater and noticed it wasn't saving, and save was greyed out... So a bit of reading has indicated that the game does not like folder redirection and so I've now got a problem of the time put in cannot be saved until I resolve this and then at the same time, once I've sorted folder redirection I'll have to reload the game to make it save so losing the progress to date :(

I'm playing on Supernova mode so you can only save in your ship anyhow.

Works though.

Associate
I was slagging this game of before I even played it so just want to say it’s a lot better than I gave it credit for , its good value to be playing it on the game pass aswell at £1 , About 4 hours in now & I have to be honest I love it! Really sucked In to the story , generally speaking if I don’t like a game within 10 mins I stop playing it but this has my full attention , I have the graphics on ultra & I get the odd lagg every now & then but apart from that game runs really nice, good story so far & fun combat system, surprising everything is so easy to understand as well, only thing I’d say could have been better is the quests tracker can sometimes be a little confusing. I’d say it’s better than all the fallout games.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently playing on game pass and it feels like a mix between New Vegas and Mass Effect 2. Not sure why so many are not getting on with this as it is streets ahead of Fallout 4 and that abomination Fallout 76.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oh I am hyped about it but because I am wanting a cowboy simulator, to explain...I am not even going to run or gallop, I intend to immerse and literally walk and ride at the slowest pace, as I would have done if I was there in reality. The slower, the more long winded, the more atmospheric and immersive it is the better. RDR2 is literally the perfect RP environment for me. I will spend entire 7 hour gaming sessions where I quite literally do nothing but walk about the game world, living it. I can understand how those who are seeking more "game" and less simulation might be disappointed but its more Sim than game that I am after and it looks to fit the bill of what I seek exactly :)
Lol. Fair enough, I know what you mean. I kind of did that a bit when playing deus ex mankind divided :)

Caporegime
Currently playing on game pass and it feels like a mix between New Vegas and Mass Effect 2. Not sure why so many are not getting on with this as it is streets ahead of Fallout 4 and that abomination Fallout 76.

in my case, I didn’t like any of the Fallout games. Although, I did carry on playing this last night and when it came to bedtime, I didn’t want to switch it off. So it must be getting better now.

Associate
Also thinking about it if this was made with limited resources pre-MS just imagine what their next game or even a sequel to this will be like under MS. Seeing as Bethesda are going down the GaaS route for the remainder of this gen then at least Obsidian can fill the void for offline RPG's that there still seems to be a big demand for.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also thinking about it if this was made with limited resources pre-MS just imagine what their next game or even a sequel to this will be like under MS. Seeing as Bethesda are going down the GaaS route for the remainder of this gen then at least Obsidian can fill the void for offline RPG's that there still seems to be a big demand for.
Yeah. I hope Obsidian take over offline RPGs as I have zero interest in online ones and Bethesda are slowly going the way of EA and I don’t want to give them any of my money. Certainly don’t want to install yet another launcher. At this pace every publisher will have their own launcher for god sakes.

Man of Honour
If I have one criticism of Supernova mode, its the AI companions. They are utterly hopeless and because in Supernova when they die they are permanently dead, I'm finding that its pretty pointless even having the companions, they just run in and die all the time. In Supernova you are FAR better off picking the 25% solo damage boost and not having any companions imo

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If I have one criticism of Supernova mode, its the AI companions. They are utterly hopeless and because in Supernova when they die they are permanently dead, I'm finding that its pretty pointless even having the companions, they just run in and die all the time. In Supernova you are FAR better off picking the 25% solo damage boost and not having any companions imo
Yeah, not surprised at all really.

I am just playing on normal mode at a chillaxed pace. Might do a supernova playthrough when I pick it up in a few years on steam with all the dlc and go solo :)

Man of Honour
Yeah, not surprised at all really.

I am just playing on normal mode at a chillaxed pace. Might do a supernova playthrough when I pick it up in a few years on steam with all the dlc and go solo :)

They are just hopeless, I die more often because I am trying to keep them alive than anything else. The companion AI is just idiotic. If I put them on defensive, you would think, as per other games that would mean that they wont attack proactively but if you attack they will fight. But no. Put them in that mode and they wont attack at all unless you specifically give them a target. Put them on Aggressive mode and they charge about like lunatics. I put them on ranged weapon only and aggressive and despite having a heavy machine gun, the idiot still runs forward to engage enemy. In 2019 , AI companions shouldnt need this much micromanaging, it should have enough about it to know to stay back and shoot from range, it should know when to fallback when low on health, not just stand there and continue getting hit and so on. You know...basic AI.

On Supernova things are far far better if you use no companions at all and take the 25% no companion bonus to your damage. Its a real shame because the AI interactions are very good when talking to NPCs but playing with utterly useless AI companions in combat just ruins it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They are just hopeless, I die more often because I am trying to keep them alive than anything else. The companion AI is just idiotic. If I put them on defensive, you would think, as per other games that would mean that they wont attack proactively but if you attack they will fight. But no. Put them in that mode and they wont attack at all unless you specifically give them a target. Put them on Aggressive mode and they charge about like lunatics. I put them on ranged weapon only and aggressive and despite having a heavy machine gun, the idiot still runs forward to engage enemy. In 2019 , AI companions shouldnt need this much micromanaging, it should have enough about it to know to stay back and shoot from range, it should know when to fallback when low on health, not just stand there and continue getting hit and so on. You know...basic AI.

On Supernova things are far far better if you use no companions at all and take the 25% no companion bonus to your damage. Its a real shame because the AI interactions are very good when talking to NPCs but playing with utterly useless AI companions in combat just ruins it.
Agreed. AI has not improved much over the years.

I just ignore my companion when fighting. If she drops she will get back up once I have cleared the area, so no issue for me :D

Soldato
Enjoying it so far! I was a little apprehensive prior to release given how janky everything looked and how poor it looked graphically on the videos...honestly I have no idea who chose the footage but it definitely isn't representative of what it looks like in reality. Plays and looks considerably better maxed out.

Soldato
Yeah. I hope Obsidian take over offline RPGs as I have zero interest in online ones and Bethesda are slowly going the way of EA and I don’t want to give them any of my money. Certainly don’t want to install yet another launcher. At this pace every publisher will have their own launcher for god sakes.

Bethesda have been full EA for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom