The Outer Worlds (Obsidian)

Associate
Starting playing it last night, enjoyed the first couple of hours so far.
Looks very nice on a 3440x1440 resolution, though a little stutter in places as my 1070 struggles to keep it stable on the higher settings.

Soldato
Starting playing it last night, enjoyed the first couple of hours so far.
Looks very nice on a 3440x1440 resolution, though a little stutter in places as my 1070 struggles to keep it stable on the higher settings.

Make sure to set the frame rate limit and vsync, it'll help with the stutter.

Soldato
Agreed. AI has not improved much over the years.

I just ignore my companion when fighting. If she drops she will get back up once I have cleared the area, so no issue for me :D

Yep, followers are like they always are. Annoying and mostly useless :/

It's amazing that after all this time they still can't make a simple "AI" that can jump and use ladders.

Soldato
So far from what I've played I'd be tempted to give this game a 10, it's incredible - but...

Supernova is unplayable if you don't want to be a lone wolf, you either have companions set to passive and have them hidden in cupboards/behind rocks (which kills immersion and doesn't let you utilise their pretty awesome abilities) or they die, literally stub their toe on a staircase and explode into a bloody mess. It's awful, I dropped down to hard because I want to use companions, which is just idiotic.

No game can be perfect but this is a completely arbitrary and enforced rule on what otherwise is an incredibly well implemented game mode. Supernova rocks the socks off of survival from Fallout, has really good HUD tracking of your needs and isn't overly punishing on death as you still have town entry/exit autosaves to fall back on. Yet you can't access the gamemode unless you play solo, how many Zero G's did the person behind that decision down before work that day?

Also gamepad controls are bonkers bad but I can live with that, default layout is nothing like what you'd expect in this kind of game and legacy layout (which is very close to Fallout) has SHARE (select basically) set to weapon swap lol, I find myself staring at my PS4 pad like a 90 year old trying to use a keyboard every time I want the weapon wheel. Got me killed more than I'd like. Share should be the inventory, and circle (B) should be weapon swapping. Another odd design decision.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So far from what I've played I'd be tempted to give this game a 10, it's incredible - but...

Supernova is unplayable if you don't want to be a lone wolf, you either have companions set to passive and have them hidden in cupboards/behind rocks (which kills immersion and doesn't let you utilise their pretty awesome abilities) or they die, literally stub their toe on a staircase and explode into a bloody mess. It's awful, I dropped down to hard because I want to use companions, which is just idiotic.

No game can be perfect but this is a completely arbitrary and enforced rule on what otherwise is an incredibly well implemented game mode. Supernova rocks the socks off of survival from Fallout, has really good HUD tracking of your needs and isn't overly punishing on death as you still have town entry/exit autosaves to fall back on. Yet you can't access the gamemode unless you play solo, how many Zero G's did the person behind that decision down before work that day?

Yeah, see my posts above, its the same complaint I have with the companions. I actually think that the companions having permadeath in Supernova mode must have been added in as an afterthought because I hired Pavrati or whatever her name was and she died before I even got back to my ship, yet when I went to the ship her room had all her stuff in it even though she had never set foot in the ship before she died.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah, see my posts above, its the same complaint I have with the companions. I actually think that the companions having permadeath in Supernova mode must have been added in as an afterthought because I hired Pavrati or whatever her name was and she died before I even got back to my ship, yet when I went to the ship her room had all her stuff in it even though she had never set foot in the ship before she died.
Lol.

My Pavrati is clever, once she cannot handle the heat she just plays dead, once I clear everyone out and gunfire stops she gets up again :p

Man of Honour
I'm only playing on normal but I've got both my companions armed with grenade launchers and they make light work of everything so far. :p

Try it on supernova, where you can give them the best weapons and armour, tell them to only attack using ranged and they still run in and when low on health dont bother to seek cover or run away and then die in 3 or 4 hits and are permanently dead. The companions are funny but they just dont work properly on supernova unfortunately.

Soldato
How many years have we had the likes of Reaperbot integrated into Unreal Tournament? If the NPC AI is poor in any game, it's only because the devs have been lazy. There's plenty of processing power on yesterday's machine's to get the basic AI good enough.

Caporegime
Try it on supernova, where you can give them the best weapons and armour, tell them to only attack using ranged and they still run in and when low on health dont bother to seek cover or run away and then die in 3 or 4 hits and are permanently dead. The companions are funny but they just dont work properly on supernova unfortunately.

It seems doubly odd that your companions will die in supernova because then you miss out on all their dialogue and quests. I would just have them lying on the floor comatose like the other difficulties to get back up when combat is finished.

Soldato
Getting quite major lag/stutter when playing, 2080 and 9700K so performance shouldn't be an issue. 3440 x 1440 on my 34" ultrawide.

Doesn't seem well optimised, which is a shame as games like Wolfenstein run amazingly well.

Soldato
Getting quite major lag/stutter when playing, 2080 and 9700K so performance shouldn't be an issue. 3440 x 1440 on my 34" ultrawide.

Doesn't seem well optimised, which is a shame as games like Wolfenstein run amazingly well.

Sounds opposite of what I am seeing. System in Sig do 7980xe and 1080ti (only one enabled) on 3440 X 1440 very smooth.

Likewise my htpc system in living room hooked up to o TV with 8700k and 1080ti most settings maxed, resolution slider at 90% and vsync 60fps in place and also very smooth with most settings maxed.

Thier is a new nvidia driver for game could be worth trying it I suppose.

Soldato
Sounds opposite of what I am seeing. System in Sig do 7980xe and 1080ti (only one enabled) on 3440 X 1440 very smooth.

Likewise my htpc system in living room hooked up to o TV with 8700k and 1080ti most settings maxed, resolution slider at 90% and vsync 60fps in place and also very smooth with most settings maxed.

Thier is a new nvidia driver for game could be worth trying it I suppose.

I'm on the latest driver already. It's still somewhat playable, but every 20-30 seconds whole game seems to pause/slow down, then it resumes again. Doesn't really feel smooth to me as a result.

Back
Top Bottom