What would Motors do about a trolley ding?

Soldato
Yes I'm sure you'd appreciate someone's child slamming a trolley into your car, only for the parents to tell you to f off. :rolleyes:

Agreed, but it's what I would expect if I'm honest. I'd be surprised if someone was actually willing to pay for the damage, if they did I would definitely not take the **** on getting the most expensive quote I could find.

Soldato
in retrospect initially setting expectations, as, either paying the insurance excess, or, a reasonable repair cost.
- there was no mileage in the home insurance liability suggestion ?

Soldato
The massive price hike is symptomatic of an insurance based payout system. It allows people to pretty much charge what they want. When I had a front wing and bumper replaced on my S2000 pretty much every garage assumed that I was going through insurance and quoted 3-4 times the amount that I ended up paying. This did not result in an inferior job, it was just the garages trying to maximise their income. Once I explained that I wasn't going through insurance the quotes reduced significantly as parts could suddenly be salvaged and repaired.

Soldato
Even if you go directly to a bodyshop you can expect high prices.

The PDR guy I use spends most of his time working for the local dealers (and we have most of them around here in one area). If you take the car to the dealer to fix a dent they will just hire him but stick an extra few 100 on the price :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently had a quote for a front splitter respray, rear bumper touch up and then a number of scratches and dents fixed from doors opening on my car, and it was £650 all in. That includes removal of the splitter, completely sanded down and primed etc

Soldato
UPDATE:

I emailed last night and explained that I hoped she too would have thought the £1500 was excessive given a 4yo accidentally dinged her car. I asked if she would be willing to provide further quotes from places that would also guarantee the repair which she has replied to positively, so let's see where we go from here.

good luck, hopefully she sees sense. £1500 that is a crazy sum

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Say you'll either pay 150 quid for a paintless dent repair or they can take it to the small claims court - their choice (bearing in mid they'll have to pay around 105 quid for that privilege.

Associate
Eldest son went to put an empty trolley back for me at our local supermarket. In doing so, he knocked into the drivers door (edge) of a MY15 VW Beetle. The owner was in the car at the time.

Apologetic about the incident, myself and said son apologised and offered to put right any damage. We exchange mobile numbers and off we went.

A call came in a few days ago to advise that she had taken the car to a VW approved repair centre and would be forwarding on their quote for repair. I gave her my email address so that she could pass on the info.

£1500. Made up mainly of labour and parts which can't be reused (window trim, bonding agents, glass bonding, matching front wing, rear wing, removing handles, etc, etc. Oh, and they've thrown in a £75 diagnostic fee...

As this isn't an insurance job, and I have indeed offered to pay out of moral obligation, what actual options do I have here?

I have to ask would I have done the same if the situation was reversed?

If its not an insurance repair (although the garage is an insurance approved VW repair centre), what would happen if in 3-5 years the repair went bad, flaky paint, etc, who is liable then?
Why should I pay for a diagnostic check as part of this issue?

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about all of this now. It's angered me slightly, as I could have said sorry and just walked off.

Thoughts?
A trolly did £1500 worth of damage?

Quote for front wing and rear wing but left out the door you hit? I’d offer 50squid for the cheek of it. Bonding glass? You being scammed give them a 50 squid cheque for the cheek then bounce it.

Dent in a door is a hammer/pull out job and a partial respray. Dents away £50 per dent

Soldato
OP
A trolly did £1500 worth of damage?

Quote for front wing and rear wing but left out the door you hit? I’d offer 50squid for the cheek of it. Bonding glass? You being scammed give them a 50 squid cheque for the cheek then bounce it.

Dent in a door is a hammer/pull out job and a partial respray. Dents away £50 per dent

The door repair is clearly listed...

Associate
The door repair is clearly listed...
“£1500. Made up mainly of labour and parts which can't be reused (window trim, bonding agents, glass bonding, matching front wing, rear wing, removing handles, etc, etc. Oh, and they've thrown in a £75 diagnostic fee”

That’s what I based my reply on.

To me that says the replacing front and rear wings (rear side window is bonded, window can be reused but will need rebounding) and pulling and filling the dent.
Dunno need to see what’s actually quoted.

Soldato
OP
“£1500. Made up mainly of labour and parts which can't be reused (window trim, bonding agents, glass bonding, matching front wing, rear wing, removing handles, etc, etc. Oh, and they've thrown in a £75 diagnostic fee”

That’s what I based my reply on.

To me that says the replacing front and rear wings (rear side window is bonded, window can be reused but will need rebounding) and pulling and filling the dent.
Dunno need to see what’s actually quoted.

I think to be fair this is a classic example of failing to read anything :D

I said, blend paint (matching) into the front and rear wings.

Associate
I think to be fair this is a classic example of failing to read anything :D

I said, blend paint (matching) into the front and rear wings.
Well don’t tell everyone. I’m tired been trying to get some FPS out of my pc, gave up and trying to sort out an upgrade... :p.

But if they blending why are they rebonding? Also what did your kid do to the seat cushion that it needs removing?

Regardless it’s a pull, fill and respray blended with the front and rear wings at most. Some dents can be massaged out called paint less repair. Which I would go for even with blended paint you can tell it’s been painted, sometimes when the light catches just right you can see where it’s blended even worse when it’s done badly

Soldato
My (now replaced) car was recently hit by presumably an hgv rear corner/axle and had the following damage. A quote came in at £1685 to repair the damage

£1500 for a trolley ding sounds expensive based on this (anecdotal) evidence.

Pics of my car (also it hit the mirror / door)
http://imgur.com/a/kHh8bod

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes £1500 is a joke, but I can't stand it when folk say things like "it's a 4 year old car" and "it's only a Beetle" etc etc as if it's fine to just damage someone's car because it's not something you approve of.

Soldato
Yes £1500 is a joke, but I can't stand it when folk say things like "it's a 4 year old car" and "it's only a Beetle" etc etc as if it's fine to just damage someone's car because it's not something you approve of.

That wasn't what I was intending. I was giving perspective. If it was a new, mint car, then there may have been a case for an approved bodyshop repair. Maybe. But on an older car, which most likely has other imperfections anyway, a smart repair to fix the damage done by a child is more suitable, as its coming straight out the parents pocket, and not some insurance claim.

With that said, even if it was my car, and was split new, I'd still be seeking advice from a smart repair guy in this instance.

Soldato
Typical insurance style quote unfortunately. If this was being settled by insurance the company would screw the bodyshop right down on everything, so they add every conceivable extra to the quote to compensate.

Also what did your kid do to the seat cushion that it needs removing?
Seat would need removing to remove the rear side trim, to remove the window & trims.

Back
Top Bottom