Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Associate
My car is in for service Today and they have given me a Macan S as a loan.

Really impressed actually and its not the type of car I would normally like. Lovely place to be inside and reasonably quick.

It feels like it could handle more power so I guess the Turbo is a great bit of kit.

Soldato
No it’s cheap money.

Not an option for me I’m a long way from affording a house let alone remortgaging one.

In classic OcUK unsolicited financial advice, why on earth would you be considering a £60k 911 if you’re a long way from affording a house?! They’re very nice things to have of course, but it might not be a sensible place to invest! I imagine it’d be hard to give up a 911 if you wanted to buy a house in the future.

Also that one doesn’t have paddles so you need to keep looking!

Soldato
In classic OcUK unsolicited financial advice, why on earth would you be considering a £60k 911 if you’re a long way from affording a house?! They’re very nice things to have of course, but it might not be a sensible place to invest! I imagine it’d be hard to give up a 911 if you wanted to buy a house in the future.

Also that one doesn’t have paddles so you need to keep looking!

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but house > car everytime. I'm preparing to build a house (and the 4 car garage and workshop I can't buy anywhere) so I had to park my 911 dream for now. I got a Cayman to lessen the blow and its very good actually, although I probably should've saved the cash :o

Soldato

Also that one doesn’t have paddles so you need to keep
I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but house > car everytime. I'm preparing to build a house (and the 4 car garage and workshop I can't buy anywhere) so I had to park my 911 dream for now. I got a Cayman to lessen the blow and its very good actually, although I probably should've saved the cash :o

I’m working on it. It’s just a location and financial problem here. I’ve had 4 jobs in 9 years across 5 (rented) houses. The chances of me staying somewhere for long enough to deal with buying a house are really small. I have managed to save a deposit now which I won’t be spending on the 911. It’s all a bit mad down South, renters market tbh. £700 a month gets me a 320k house, which I certainly couldn’t afford to buy.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
is that in Somerset as per your location? I am very surprised at that figure, 2.6% is incredibly low. It would be low even in central London where high property value (but high potential for growth) produce artificially low yield. In Oxfordshire (and over in Bristol where i also have experience) i expect ~5.5-6% on average. If you really can rent for that, then there is little incentive to ever own anything.

Soldato
is that in Somerset as per your location? I am very surprised at that figure, 2.6% is incredibly low. It would be low even in central London where high property value (but high potential for growth) produce artificially low yield. In Oxfordshire (and over in Bristol where i also have experience) i expect ~5.5-6% on average. If you really can rent for that, then there is little incentive to ever own anything.
It is. It’s down to the generally mad house price growth, but its mostly people buying not renting. Outside of the cities everyone is rich ex Londoners buying stuff, but people that accidentally became landlords likely bought the houses when they were 40-50k, they’re just worth 8x that now. So to them the yields are fine and they’re getting huge capital gains on the house value should they ever wish to sell.

Associate
In my quest to find something to replace my car next March I've started looking at 981 Caymans... Am I silly to consider spending 30-35k on what will be a 5-6 year old car next year , or keep on holding out for the Giulia quadrifoglio to fall to circa £35k?

Soldato
In my quest to find something to replace my car next March I've started looking at 981 Caymans... Am I silly to consider spending 30-35k on what will be a 5-6 year old car next year , or keep on holding out for the Giulia quadrifoglio to fall to circa £35k?

Really different machines, if you want a 2 seat, mid engined coupe then the 981 Cayman is probably THE best car you can buy. If you want an unusual four door super saloon, then the Guilia quadrifoglio is an awesome looking thing.

I think £30-35k is a lot to spend on a Cayman, as you'd get a 997.2 for the upper end of that budget, but then again that's not a 2 seat mid engined car and I like 911's, so that's a personal view. The Cayman is an exceptional sports car.

EDIT: The age thing is less of a concern for the 981 as it's the last of the NA flat 6 Caymans, so they should continue to be desirable in the future.

Soldato
Hi all.

It's just a pipe dream at the moment but I'm toying with the idea of getting a boxster. I like the 987.2 but like the 971 even more :)

It'll be the smaller engined version (please don't beat me up) and It'll be new car time in autumn 2021. Looking at auto trader a 987.2 with under 50k miles is around £15k upwards, and a 981 with similar mileage is about 22k upwards.

What's the depreciation on the newer ones? Is it silly to expect a 981 to be around the high teens by the time I'm buying? Also what about the 987.2, would I be able to pick one up for low teens?

I've no idea about depreciation on these cars other than they're reputed to hold value very well.

Back
Top Bottom